+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: The official Holidays "let it all out" post.  (Read 2070 times)

triathlete98

The official Holidays "let it all out" post.
« on: December 02, 2011, 08:22:48 AM »
So this is my "venting" thread for the Holiday season.

I am so tired of...

1. being asleep and when i move the slightest my hip wakes me up from sharp nerve pain.
2. being told my a Dr. who has talked to me for 20 seconds i am not a BHR canadite.
3. trying to find creative ways to tie my shoe.
4. watching people jog by.
5. having to lay down after taking my dog for a nice walk in the woods cause my hip is throbbing.
6. The "hurry up and Wait" philosophy in the medical field.
7. Buying a 4000.00 triathlon bike and it sits in the basement waiting to be taken out.
8. People telling me to "push through" the pain when they've never had any hip pain or idea how much it hurts.
9. Those same people who never done an ironman and have no idea how much pain i've gone through.
10.  Jealous of the all the people on here who have had BHR's and are enjoying life  ;D

ahh ok i feel better.  Thanks for the support everyone and the resources to keep pushing forward!

hernanu

Re: The official Holidays "let it all out" post.
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2011, 09:35:23 AM »
That was a good vent  ;D  ;D

Here's my post HR (and what you're looking at once you're done):

• Sleep through the night and wake up shocked at how rested you are.
  • Laugh at them after your one year anniversary(I may do this at the two that told me this in their offices and point).
  • Still being creative tying those laces (stood this morning, crossed my legs and tied my boots on), but now without pain, just to say I did.
  • Still watch people jog by (wasn't a runner), but let them watch me play soccer, bball or just walk.
  • My dog has to lay down now. Poor thing.
  • My hurry up and wait got up and went.
  • Don't have a triathlon bike, but sure am pulling for you to get that thing rolling.
  • No one has an idea of the pain. My ex mother in law (nurse) is the only one who really has a clue.
  • It's easy to be brave sitting on a couch.
  • Just a bit of time and no more jealousy.

Glad you feel better, brother - your time will come.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 09:37:06 AM by hernanu »
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

obxpelican

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2011, 10:54:47 AM »
Yes!  Keep moving forward, there is an end to that road of pain.

Chuck
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

ScubaDuck

• Adventures in Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2011, 11:07:21 AM »
I can't say it better than Hernanu.

I experienced everything except the $4000 time trial bike.  I did my Ironman on a sub-$1000 bike.

I hope to do another Ironman someday.

Best wishes.

Dan
LHRA, Birmingham, Dr. Pritchett, 8/1/2011
RHRA, EndoTec, Dr. Pritchett, 12/6/2022
fullmetalhip.wordpress.com

triathlete98

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2011, 11:17:35 AM »
yeah i know the bike doesn't make the athlete, but its sure fun looking at it...lol.

jjmclain

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2011, 11:46:08 AM »
See Vicky's post last night regarding compiling and sending your information and x-rays to some top surgeons for review. You should get several opinions. Hope this helps!

triathlete98

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2011, 12:03:23 PM »
Thanks June all over it! :)

juliaholly

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2011, 03:27:41 PM »
I can definitely identify with numbers 1, 2, and 6. It's maybe the pain waking me up at night that is convincing me to go through with this surgery. I have a pretty high pain tolerance and ran a half marathon two weeks ago (surgery is Dec. 20) so I can get through THAT kind of pain. But it seems like not being able to sleep through a night cause I wake up every time I turn over is a sign.

Dr. Brooks was the sixth doc I saw after my injury. I saw five doctors in Nashville and got four different diagnoses, from simple osteoarthritis, to two docs who said I had a broken hip and needed THR immediately, to torn labrum, to Bo Jackson injury (necrosis of bone,)to one doc who said I had a torn labrum AND had knocked a chip of bone off, but might not ever need surgery. And nobody did much for the pain.

So keep trying. I feel sorry for people who aren't tenacious or have poor, or no, medical insurance.
Left BHR, Dr. Brooks, Dec. 20, 2011

Tin Soldier

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2011, 03:51:49 PM »
Tri and Hern - so poetic and I'm not just saying that.  That really is darn good stuff, hits home. 

Tri - I'm was right there with you, except for the $4000 bike.  I couldn't ride a bike either but it was much less expensive. I had a $1500 used tractor to mow the pasture that I couldn't ride.  Well I had to make a special deal to raise the seat.  My triathlon consisted of trying to 1. figure out how to attach the three point PTO mower deck by myself, 2. get the old beast started again, and 3. mow the 1 acre pasture, all with leg and back pain.  My PR was about 1 hr and 25 minutes.

One of the best feelings I had was getting back on the bike and I ride everyday now.  Stick with it and get yourself fixed. 
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

Woodstock Hippy

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2011, 04:06:00 PM »
Good rant, get it all out, 

I feel your pain about the bike.  Last winter I built up a Colnago Dream HP, every cyclist should own a Colnago sometime in their life, and a Niner Jet9.  My bad hips finally failed in my first mountain bike race in April and the Jet barely got used at all. It's hanging in the garage begging me to take it out.  With my ten year old Zipp404's the Colnago is way too nice to ride at the slow speeds I was able to all this year.

I plan on making up for it next year and I know that you will too!

« Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 05:14:22 PM by Woodstock hippy »
Bilateral, Dr Scott Marwin, NYU Joint Disease Hosp, 11/15/11

Aerial

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2011, 05:36:57 PM »
Good rant, get it all out, 

I feel your pain about the bike.  Last winter I built up a Colnago Dream HP, every cyclist should own a Colnago sometime in their life, and a Niner Jet9.  My bad hips finally failed in my first mountain bike race in April and the Jet barely got used at all. It's hanging in the garage begging me to take it out.  With my ten year old Zipp404's the Colnago is way too nice to ride at the slow speeds I was able to all this year.

I plan on making up for it next year and I know that you will too!

Surely can relate, I've got a lovely full carbon Felt roadbike that I can only ride about 20 miles a pop these days and way to slowly to be on such a nice bike.  However, I hope to be back on it closer to full speed soon!  I also haven't been on my mountain bike in 3 years because it is too jarring....soon, soon, hopefully.  Seriously though, I was in your position a year ago.  I had arthoscopic surgery and my surgeon wouldn't X-ray again until one year post op.  I knew my hip did not benefit at all from the surgery.  At one year, I was bone on bone and the surgeon said it was time for a replacement....I opted for resurfacing though.  It is a hopelessly long process.  Stick with it.  Call Dr. Gross, he will tell you like it is!
« Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 07:37:21 PM by Aerial »
Right hip resurfacing with Dr. Gross on 12/5/11!

mslendzion

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2011, 11:28:45 AM »
Triathlete and Heranu - Poetic and entertaining!
Left BHR 1/9/12 Dr. Schmitt

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat