+-

Advertisements

Welcome Back

The Hip Talk Discussion Forum was hacked a few weeks back. It has taken me a long time to fix it. The only backup I could use was way back to April 2020. All members and posts up to that date are available. Anything newer has been lost. I am sorry, but that has been the only way to get things up and running again.

Author Topic: Hospital items  (Read 1903 times)

Aerial

Hospital items
« on: December 04, 2011, 01:53:29 PM »
Well tomorrow is the day.  I have to say I am excited to get this over and done with.  I would like to ask what items were needed in the hospital.  I am an in state patient of Dr. Gross.  For example, do I need pajamas, changes of clothes, etc.  Basics like toothbrush, underwear, socks, shoes and my iPad are ready to go.  I don't imagine you need much for one night.
Right hip resurfacing with Dr. Gross on 12/5/11!

obxpelican

• ~Welcome to SixBurgh~
Re: Hospital items
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2011, 02:29:50 PM »
Good luck to you.

I would take a change of very loose cloths for the way home, I liked those silky gym shorts as they made it easy to rotate in your seat of the car.

Take enough for a couple days just make sure they are comfortable and easy on easy off bottoms.

Chuck
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

Woodstock Hippy

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2011, 03:15:30 PM »
Good Luck Aerial,  you seem to have your list down pretty good.  The Ipad is your most important thing but as they told me a NYU Joint Disease Hospital in NYC, don't leave it sitting around.  NYC is much different than South Carolina but you also should follow that advice.  I had mine before surgery then my wife brought it back on the second day when we knew I'd be awake.  It doesn't hurt to be careful.
Bilateral, Dr Scott Marwin, NYU Joint Disease Hosp, 11/15/11

mslendzion

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2011, 03:38:32 PM »
I was worried about bringing my ipad as I think I read to leave all valuables at home.  I'm very attached to my ipad and would hate to have something unfortunate happen to it while in the hospital.  Already worried about the 'ipad' withdrawl while in the hospital if it is not with me. 
Left BHR 1/9/12 Dr. Schmitt

Woodstock Hippy

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2011, 04:10:55 PM »
I had a safe, like a hotel safe, in the room and I was able to lock it up when I went to PT.

It's great to have it though and post from the hospital.  I also have a text and phone app so I was able to stay in touch with everyone.

Anniee

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2011, 04:29:36 PM »
Aerial,

You will need clothes to go home in -  I brought yoga type pants and a workout top, both roomy and easy to put on (you don't want anything too tight in case you have swelling).  Shoes that you can just step into - no buckles or laces - are best.  You do not need any pajamas because you will be wearing a hospital gown until you take a shower and get dressed the morning after your surgery.  I also brought toothpaste, shower gel, shampoo and conditioner, deodorant, etc. for the shower.  The hospital may provide some of those items, but I don't remember and didn't look because I brought my own.

You will be in very good hands - good luck and I'm looking forward to hearing from you after the surgery!

Annie
Annie/ Right Uncemented Biomet 4-20-11/Left Uncemented Biomet 10-12-11/Dr. Gross

Dan L

• LBHR Dr Brooks, 10/2011; RBHR 2/2012
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2011, 04:35:08 PM »
I found I only needed these

to get out of the snag-prone gown:
shorts, long loose
socks
t shirts

When my wife brought up my ipad, it really helped to have web and music in the middle of the night when sleep was difficult, don't forget ear buds etc like I did (the hosp had some basic ones).

Underwear for me would have put pressure on the dressing/incision and did not need for that reason.

Hospital provided toiletries etc, when I left it was warm so the shorts were fine, be sure to have a pillow to sit on for the ride home, that was really helpful.

Thx

LBHR Dr Brooks, 10/2011; RBHR 2/2012

DGossack

• Adventures in Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2011, 04:41:09 PM »
You have a good list of items.

Best wishes on the surgery.  You will not regret it.  Yesterday I had a nice 20 km bike ride with no pain and a leg that tracked straight.  Look forward to moments like that.

Dan
LBHR, Dr. Pritchett, 8/1/2011
fullmetalhip.wordpress.com

sdunn4

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2011, 06:42:41 PM »
Aerial,

Good luck tomorrow!  I will be at my 6-week mark tomorrow after having the right hip resurfaced by Dr. Gross on 10/24/11.  What a difference in 6 weeks!  You will do fine and I'm sure you will make a quick recovery.  My list for hospital items was not very long either, even though we drove from upstate NY.

Steve
52 YO Rt Hip Biomet Dr. Gross, 10/24/11

tennisgirl

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2011, 08:09:43 PM »
Hi Aeriel,

Tomorrow will be just fine!  The nurses take excellent care of you in pre-op.  I found all I needed to bring to the hospital were my toiletries, and what I wore to the hospital (loose bottoms for sure) and some extra undies.  The hospital provided a liquid soap/shampoo.  If all goes well you won't be there over a day and a half.  I brought too many clothes that I never wore.

You will be presented with an option at the hospital to purchase a $45 hip kit which is not covered by insurance.  I bought it because I really wasn't sure what I would need, and really only ended up using the grabber, sock putter onner and leg lifter thingy (which I found handy).  I didn't use the long handled sponge scrubber or shoe horn.  If you can get some of these items for less today, I would do it. 

If you can, please say hello to Lee for me.  She is absolutely awesome...she'll come into pre-op and mark your leg when it's getting close to time.

Best wishes,

Mindi

R Biomet Uncemented Dr. Gross 11/9/2011

Aerial

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2011, 08:37:41 PM »
Thanks to all.  I packed two pairs of athletic pants, a long sleeve t-shirt and jacket, undies and my ipad (which my husband will bring to room).  I should be ready.  At this point, I am ready to go mentally.  It has been a long road to this point.  As others commented, this site has been awesome. I hope to be a successful hippy soon!  I will post when I can.  Will say hello Mindi.  I had a friend named Mindi who played tennis so I think I'll remember your name!

By the way one question I never asked and didn't care to find out via a you tube video is .......what position at you in when being operated on?  I'd assume side given the approach.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2011, 08:41:52 PM by Aerial »

Kiwi

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2011, 08:38:40 PM »
Good luck Aerial - it will be over & you'll think "what was all the fuss about?". Catch you on the other side. It's worth getting excited about.
I'm 12 days post op and each day gets better & better ;D
Look forward to your post op posts!
All the best.
Simon
LBHR 11/23/2011
56mm Head
Hugh Blackley (BHR Trained with Ronan Treacy)
Use it or lose it!

hernanu

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2011, 10:00:22 PM »
Good luck Aerial! I'll keep you in my thoughts, see you on the other side
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

hipnhop

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2011, 05:10:38 AM »
hope all went well. welcome to recovery
3/2011 and 2/2012 HR Dr. Craig Thomas

rbt2011

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2011, 01:51:58 PM »
Aerial,
How are you feeling?  Congratulations.
Right side BHR 11/29/2011

Aerial

« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2011, 02:23:38 PM »
Not feeling much yet  :). This post is live from the hospital.....waiting.  Surgery at 11:30!

Woodstock Hippy

« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2011, 05:19:05 PM »
Live from the hospital, that's what we like.

Good Luck

mslendzion

« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2011, 01:00:17 AM »
Aerial - Congratulations and wishes for a quick recovery!!
Left BHR 1/9/12 Dr. Schmitt

CEK001

« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2011, 01:23:05 AM »
Good Luck and I will be waiting to hear how your recovery is going!

Recent Posts

Re: 9 years later and I think it's time for my other hip by imgetinold
September 17, 2020, 06:45:07 PM

Re: Need help finding a Surgeon by imgetinold
September 17, 2020, 06:40:18 PM

Re: 3 months post op with MAJOR problems by ahausheer
September 16, 2020, 05:18:14 AM

Re: Need help finding a Surgeon by ahausheer
September 16, 2020, 05:16:11 AM

Advertisements

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear