+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Back from the hospital  (Read 2534 times)

papalagidiver

Back from the hospital
« on: December 04, 2011, 01:26:26 PM »
Welcome everyone.  I am a new member and this is my first post. Had the HR done on Wednesday and came back home on Friday night.  Now I am trying to figure out how to live my life and hoping that this group will be helpful.

Woodstock Hippy

Re: Back from the hospital
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2011, 01:53:51 PM »
Welcome to the team.  Believe me, you will get great support here and answers to any questions you have.

One question for me, where was your surgery?
Bilateral, Dr Scott Marwin, NYU Joint Disease Hosp, 11/15/11

Boomer

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2011, 02:40:11 PM »
Had my surgery on November 30th. Have had a couple of setbacks that are slowing my recovery. The best advice I can give you, and this is advice Pat has repeated a thousand times, is to go slow and listen carefully to your body.

Pat, I'm struggling here, but your words have been fine counsel at every point. The issues that have arisen are those you warned about, the solutions are those you mentioned. I could not have been better prepared for what is happening.

Papal, take it slowly and carefully.

Pat, thanks for your site and your advice. Priceless!

Boomer
RBHR with Dr. Rector on 11/30/2011
LBHR with Dr. Rector on 6/11/2012

hernanu

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2011, 05:12:39 PM »
You Ok Boomer?
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Woodstock Hippy

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2011, 06:04:19 PM »
''Had my surgery on November 30th. Have had a couple of setbacks that are slowing my recovery''

Boomer, buddy, take it easy, you can't get it all back the first week!

curt

• Runner with the cruddy cartilage
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2011, 06:15:01 PM »
     Boomer, hope things are getting better...what issues are you dealing with?  Curt
51 yr, RHBiomet, Dr. Gross, 9/30/11
happy, hopeful, hip-full

Boomer

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2011, 06:37:47 PM »
Routine recovery issues. My dressing came off from the drain wound on day 2 in the hospital. Lost some blood, but mostly got exhausted from having to get up and change all my clothes and the bed. I think I was tired when I was released. No nausea, light headed ness or night sweats, but we lost control of the pain each night for about four to six hours. No idea why. Sleeping was a real problem. Game ready machine has been on 24/7 since surgery, so minimal swelling and bruising. TEDs have been on for 12 hours and off for 1 routinely. Fagmin injections every day. I'm getting great care from my wife, but it was too much work. She fainted this morning and had to to to Emergency. Bump on the head and a bruised shoulder. She's fine. I think we all need to realize how hard this recovery is on our team. Anyway, my wife and I are exhausted but taking things really slow like Pat has always told us. My wife is getting help from some neighbors so she can get some rest. As Pat has always told us, all recoveries are different, be prepared. I haven't attempted any exercises at home. Every hour or so I walk around the house with the walker. I've been listening to my body, and mostly eating and resting. I'm going to be fine, but this has been harder on us than we expected, and I've been listening to you Hippys for months to get prepared. I'm not letting any of this change my outlook. Guess what? My right foot points straight ahead! It hasn't done that in year. 2012 is going to be a great year. Stay with me Hippys. I appreciate your support. You may have noticed me online during the wee hours of the morning. That's how I got through the dark times.

Boomer

Kiwi

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2011, 06:56:17 PM »
Take it slowly Boomer, you & your family will get through this. As you say - 2012 is a brand new year.
All the very best & keep us posted when you're up to it.
Simon
LBHR 11/23/2011
56mm Head
Hugh Blackley (BHR Trained with Ronan Treacy)
Use it or lose it!

OtterDriver

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2011, 06:56:38 PM »
Hello Mr. Boomer!

Sorry to hear things aren't going as smoothly as you'd like!  One day at a time and keep up the positive attitude it seems you have...before you know it you'll back to your old self!  That is to say the self before your hip started giving you grief!  Didn't mean to imply you're old!

Take care!

Bruce

P.S.- Are you in the explosives industry?

Woodstock Hippy

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2011, 07:04:45 PM »
Good to hear from you Boomer, now you and Mrs Boomer just relax.  This is just a couple of speed bumps on the road to recovery.  And don't be afraid to take your pain medication, at this point it's good for you.

Regards to Mrs Boomer and tell her not to scare us like that again.

Boomer

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2011, 07:25:55 PM »
Woodstock,

My wife fainting and hitting the floor like a bag of potatoes was inconvenient for a number of reasons. It did teach me a few things. 1. The grabber that comes with the hip kit is useful, but it will not support the weight of an adult female. After a few brief attempts to lift her up, I gave in and called 911. Lesson number two was how fast I was able to ditch the walker and crutch it up two flights of stairs to get to my wife. Good foot up first. I remembered. The hip is good.

I'm taking my pain medication every six hours as prescribed. The sooner the meds are gone, the sooner I can open the Scotch I bought to celebrate my new hip.

We're doing much better now. My wife is sleeping. A neighbor is working on a college assignment in the kitchen. I tried to talk her into giving me a shower, but she's not going for it. She does like my TEDs though.

Thanks for your concern Woodstock.

papalagidiver

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2011, 08:42:57 PM »
The surgery was done by Dr. Sparling from Rebound MD in Vancouver Washington.

ScubaDuck

• Adventures in Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2011, 10:01:48 PM »
Sorry to hear about the extraneous medical issues.  Take care of yourself and your wife.  You need her healthy and happy during your recovery.

Papalagidiver, sorry your post got hijacked.  Are you in Portland area?  There are a number of us in Oregon and Washington.

Best wishes.

Dan
LHRA, Birmingham, Dr. Pritchett, 8/1/2011
RHRA, EndoTec, Dr. Pritchett, 12/6/2022
fullmetalhip.wordpress.com

rbt2011

« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2011, 10:29:14 PM »
Papa glider,

Good luck in your recovery, let us know if you have any issues, comments, questions.  These people are all really great.

Boomer,
Sorry to hear about your recent problems, best wishes for you and your wife.
Right side BHR 11/29/2011

Luanna

« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2011, 11:28:12 PM »
Hi papalagidiver,

Welcome!!!

I'm in Washington state - Seattle area. Are you in Washington too? Hope you are doing well. I think you will find this group really helpful and supportive. It's a great group of folks with a lot of experience and ideas for coping with getting through the recovery process.

Several of us who currently post here are from Oregon and Washington.

Luanna
RHR 8/30/2011 - Dr. Pritchett - Stryker Trident Shell /X3 Poly liner acetabular cup. BHR head.

hipnhop

« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2011, 12:09:11 AM »
it gets better...te firdt few weeks suck but youll be back on your feet in no time.
3/2011 and 2/2012 HR Dr. Craig Thomas

Woodstock Hippy

« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2011, 06:20:40 AM »
Congratulations and welcome again, Papa.  As you see, sometimes things don't go as we plan.  Just don't let the little set back get you down.  We all get them.

hernanu

« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2011, 07:30:49 AM »
Congrats, papalagidiver - good to see you here. Take the recuperation easy and do as much walking as you can.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 07:31:47 AM by hernanu »
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Tin Soldier

« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2011, 06:45:20 PM »
Papa - Luann (with not A on the end) from Oregon City is a Sparling Hippy.  I also know of another who had bilat from Sparling a number of years ago who's a husband of someone I work with it.  Good to have a few more NW hippies.  Good job on the surgery and ask away.  As you can see, you'll get a healthy response on just about any topic. 

Boomer - easy now.  My wife almost passed out and puked after watching me reel around in pain after the PT worked me over the first time, but that was in the hospital.  Hope your wife is ok.  You're still pretty early on in recovery so take it easy and don't get discouraged.  I bet you'll see some big improvements just in a few days.   
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

mslendzion

« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2011, 07:52:52 PM »
papa, welcome to the site.  I'm fairly new too but still pre surgery.  The fellow hippies are great and now part of my daily life.  it is comforting to know we are not alone and there are so many true athletes on this site.  They are inspiring and awesome.  Hopefully you find this site as helpful and welcoming as I did.
Left BHR 1/9/12 Dr. Schmitt

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat