+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Boomer was Wrong  (Read 3076 times)

Boomer

Boomer was Wrong
« on: December 04, 2011, 07:39:58 PM »
I made a pretty big mistake heading into my resurfacing that could serve as a lesson to others. I was diagnosed with a partially torn rotator cuff in my right shoulder shortly after getting the diagnosis about arthritic hips. I elected to work with a PT/Chiro to stengthen the rotator cuff to enable me to handle crutches, instead of getting surgery on my shoulder first. My hips were hurting worse so I chose to get the first one fixed before dealing with my shoulder. Bad idea. I should have gotten the shoulder fixed first.

It has been extremely difficult for me to move because my shoulder gave out pretty much the first time I tried to sit up in recovery. The nurses put some rings above the bed to help me, but I really struggle, and the additional pain in the shoulder has added to my problems. I think the extra effort needed to work with just one good arm is the cause of my exhaustion. Dr. Rector and his staff knew about the shoulder and were diligent at all times trying to protect it. It is impossible to do the recovery with one arm.

So many posters mention having a stronger upper body will be really helpful. They are right of course. This may be the only advice I didn't heed.

I'm doing better now, and my left arm is getting really strong! It's good to be a Hippy.

Boomer
RBHR with Dr. Rector on 11/30/2011
LBHR with Dr. Rector on 6/11/2012

obxpelican

Re: Boomer was Wrong
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2011, 08:02:08 PM »
Hey, glad to hear that you're doing well (except for the shoulders).

Hope it all works out.

Chuck

I made a pretty big mistake heading into my resurfacing that could serve as a lesson to others. I was diagnosed with a partially torn rotator cuff in my right shoulder shortly after getting the diagnosis about arthritic hips. I elected to work with a PT/Chiro to stengthen the rotator cuff to enable me to handle crutches, instead of getting surgery on my shoulder first. My hips were hurting worse so I chose to get the first one fixed before dealing with my shoulder. Bad idea. I should have gotten the shoulder fixed first.

Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

hernanu

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2011, 07:25:48 AM »
Sorry to hear about the shoulder, boomer. The legs will get strong soon, hopefully will give you support soon, so your shoulder won't bear the weight. Good luck.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

curt

• Runner with the cruddy cartilage
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2011, 07:53:05 AM »
    Thanks for the update Boomer.  The improvement in the operated hip is mostly time sensitive, not PT dependent, so don't sweat the crutches too much at the moment.  Just take care when doing all the weight support with your "strong" shoulder. 
     Also, I would dismiss that you've "done anything wrong" by not getting the shoulder done first.  I for one am a fat, upper body weakling, due to the inactivity caused by my hip the last year.   Everyone's recovery is completely different and yours will be too.  Its only a matter of a week or so to be using one crutch or a cane, so keep smilin' and please don't beat yourself up.  Be happy and hippy!
Curt
51 yr, RHBiomet, Dr. Gross, 9/30/11
happy, hopeful, hip-full

PistolPete

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2011, 11:10:08 AM »
Oh man I can't imagine.  I fractured my shoulder a year or so ago and thought it was a rotator cuff tear.  Luckily, I didn't need surgery.  That being said the pain and inablity to support any weight with that arm at all is def. a disadvantage.  I'm not sure how you're able to get around but as Curt said every day gets easier and you won't need both crutches shortly.  That being said is it the same or opposite shoulder as your hip?  Hopefully it's the same side as it will be easier when you transition into one crutch and then a cane.  Keep us posted.

curt

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2011, 08:38:45 AM »
     Boomer, hope day 3 is going better for you.  You hopefully are supporting yourself with the good shoulder (left side) opposite your new hip.  Very quickly you should find that it doesn't take too much to help your hip feel supported.  Sorta like spotting someone with weights - a little help goes a long way.  Just move slow and let your legs and hip support what they can with the crutches "helping".  The upper body can make getting around easier, but your very successful recovery is still possible after this challenging week.  Hang in there, and stay as positive as you can!

Curt
happy, hopeful, hip-full

Woodstock Hippy

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2011, 09:41:00 AM »
Boomer, don't beat yourself up on this one.  I had a torn shoulder labrum and I had that surgery in September to be ready for my hip surgery in November.  I just barely made it on the shoulder recovery and it still aches when I get it in the wrong position.  By now you should have the worst behind you, hope it all goes well from here.
Bilateral, Dr Scott Marwin, NYU Joint Disease Hosp, 11/15/11

Boomer

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2011, 09:55:00 AM »
Woodstock,

You did the right thing, which made me realize my own error. I was able to build some strength in the shoulder so I can use the walker and crutches safely, but getting up and down from a chair, bed, toilet etc is painful and exhausting. I've worn myself out in Just a few days. I'm searching my memory bank to see how I reacted successfully in the past when I hit the wall. I've hit the wall on wheels lots of times during climbs or long rides and usually found a way to push through. I have definitely hit the wall. Not sleeping well doesn't help. Beginning to think my age 57 is a problem even though I was exceptionally fit before surgery. I don't seem to be enjoying my recovery like most have. Searching for something that will keep me going until I have that first good day to build on. You've been extraordinary, so I'm not trying to match your recovery. Just looking for the first sign of progress. I can do the PT, and have good strength and range of motion according to the PT. I just seem to burn energy faster than I can replace it. I hit the wall almost daily.

Would love to hear your thoughts. Have been tuned into your post since Day One.

Boomer

curt

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2011, 11:25:15 AM »
    Boomer, each day can have a wall, but they get shorter and easier to navigate.  Get to one, stop, reload and move on.  The race is longer than those individual road blocks.  Although frustrated, you are healing whether you do much or not.  Don't be afraid to take meds to keep the pain down so you can sleep.  That rest is key to the rest of your recovery.  Keep looking for ingenius ways to make the chores of getting up and down (bed, chair, sofa, toilet, etc.) easier.  By the time you figure it out, you probably won't need the help.  You've picked your hip before your shoulder...that makes it Boomer's way which makes it the RIGHT way for you.  Don't go getting frustrated...stay focused on making progress.

Curt
happy, hopeful, hip-full

Woodstock Hippy

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2011, 05:01:07 PM »
Boomer, we all keep hitting the wall.  We are healing from very major surgery and it is sucking the life out of us.  Soon it will turn around and we will feel he energy start to come back.  I used to act like I was the strongest guy in NYC.  I used to run before work, work heavy construction all day and swim or bike after.  Right now I have a tough time with my 2 front steps after a 16 minute walk, but soon, I know it, I'll be building that strength back.  And so will you!

Heal up for now and do what you can.  Stay positive and don't beat yourself up.

My wife told me this morning that when she first saw me in the recovery room she asked how I felt.  My answer; "my shoulder hurts"

Boomer

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2011, 06:19:05 PM »
Curt and Woodstock,

I think I may have had unrealistic expectations based upon what I have been reading about recoveries. Thanks for setting me straight.

I had a better day today. Did a lot of short walks inside and stayed focused on walking properly. I can't do that yet, but it's getting better. Did some stairs, did my home pt exercises.

I appreciate your support. Things were getting away from me.

It is good to be part of this Hippy community.

Thank you.

Boomer

Woodstock Hippy

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2011, 06:40:03 PM »
''It is good to be part of this Hippy community.''

Absolutely!

ScubaDuck

• Adventures in Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2011, 01:44:13 AM »
Boomer-

Remember rest is the best thing for you.  I found that sometimes I would push through the fatigue and pain.  Those PT exercises could get really hard.  But usually I found that actually set me back a bit.

Once you get beyond a lot of the pain and the muscles are healing, then you can catch up on the rehabilitation.  Rememeber to let your body recover before pushing rehab.

Best wishes.

Dan
LHRA, Birmingham, Dr. Pritchett, 8/1/2011
RHRA, EndoTec, Dr. Pritchett, 12/6/2022
fullmetalhip.wordpress.com

Woodstock Hippy

« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2011, 09:18:48 AM »
Good morning Boom,  hope you are feeling better today and got some sleep last night.  If not, call the doc and tell him.  He can give you something to help you sleep if you need it.  Just ask.

I go back to the doctor this afternoon and the first thing I'm going to ask is to be cleared to drive.  I'm like a 17 yr old, sitting outside in my pickup before I got my license.  I know I'm fine to drive but the boss won't let me until the doctor says so.

Boomer

« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2011, 09:35:56 AM »
Better day today. Needed some medication to sleep last night so I took some. It helped.

I bet it is exciting to drive again. Did you get a temporary parking permit?

curt

« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2011, 10:17:25 AM »
      No permit for me, but I really gave some the evil eye as I parked, walked/limped and caned around while others parked in handicap and glided on their feet.  The good news is that I got better.  Took me until almost 6 weeks until I was able to get into and out of car with any comfort.  Also, since it was my right leg, got a little tired  in the beginning because I couldn't manage the left foot braking too well, just used the operated side.  Lastly, I could definitetly feel the incision area where it sat on the upturned edge of the seat bottom.  Wiggled around to take the pressure off.  Enjoy racing around doing errands!

Curt
happy, hopeful, hip-full

Boomer

« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2011, 10:51:04 AM »
I am going to skip the parking pass, feeling there are others who need it more. I can cane and limp a bit. I will use my cane on the backside of anyone I see striding away from a disabled parking spot. Like you, nothing upsets me more.

Spoke with my 82 year old uncle last night and found out he had his hip replaced 2 years ago. At 80 years old! He's thrilled with his hip and was delighted to be able to give me all kinds of advice on my recovery. I hung on every word. He has a bicycle repair business he works out of his garage. At 82!

I'm not looking forward to driving.

tennisgirl

« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2011, 11:00:01 AM »
I started driving at 3 1/2 weeks and was fine.  The hardest part for me was looking over my right shoulder which put pressure on my incision.  I had no trouble at all moving my foot back and forth from the gas to the brake.  It was so nice to not be dependent on others for rides.
R Biomet Uncemented Dr. Gross 11/9/2011

WTW15

« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2011, 03:32:29 PM »
Boomer - just getting caught up with your posts.  Glad to see they are for the most part all positive, since you are my mentor now.   :o

Learning from everyone posting here that we just need to celebrate the small steps and not try to be some kind of super hero -  I think that says a lot about those getting this surgery - a bunch of overachievers for sure!  This is a great Hippy Community!!  I'm glad to have found this site, too.

Successful LBHR 1/19/12 Dr. Cynthia Kelly
Fear causes Hesitation and Hesitation causes your worst Fears to come true

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat