+-

Author Topic: Hospital Stay and Post-Op Care?  (Read 2310 times)

CEK001

Hospital Stay and Post-Op Care?
« on: December 05, 2011, 10:30:06 AM »
Hi everyone!

My surgery is next Wednesday, Dec 14, 2011.  I am a single mom of 2 young kids (8 year old and 6 year old).  My mom will be staying with me the first 11 days (through Christmas) but I was wondering what type of care I will need after that. 

I know my kids will pitch in a lot, but will I be able to make their school lunches and get them off to school?  Will I be able to walk them to the bus stop (2 blocks up hill) at 3 week post-op?  I have a nanny for after school care already, who makes dinner and cleans up.  But I will be alone most of the day and I was wondering how hard will it be to take care of myself.  Should I ask my mom to stay longer?

Also, Dr. Mont said to expect 1 or 2 days in the hospital.  As I am traveling (not that far, but still need to coordinate everything), I would like to know how long most people stay in the hospital.

Thank you so much!
Christine

Woodstock Hippy

Re: Hospital Stay and Post-Op Care?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2011, 12:29:01 PM »
The thing is; we are all different and all surgeries are different.  It's hard to predict how fast anyone will recover.  You will do great and you will run again, but it's hard to set a time table for your recovery.  Ask your mother to stay as long as you need her. 

You'll know when you are OK, but you can't predict the future.
Bilateral, Dr Scott Marwin, NYU Joint Disease Hosp, 11/15/11

CEK001

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2011, 01:27:16 PM »
I totally understand your statement that everyone is different and every surgery is different... 

I am just trying to get a feel for the average mobility a couple of weeks after surgery.  I know I will have restrictions on 90 degrees for 5-6 weeks according to Dr. Mont, but I am just trying to figure out how much that will impact being able to take care of myself.  I keep imagining my daily routine and creative ways to get around the restrictions...  I know there are things I won't be able to do during this period (Load and unload the dish washer for example, but hey, for a few weeks I can hand wash dishes)

I thought it would be helpful to hear from others and their experience. 

Woodstock Hippy

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2011, 02:05:10 PM »
''for a few weeks I can hand wash dishes) ''

Screw that!  For a few weeks the kids can wash the dishes or they can eat off of paper plates.

Remember, after surgery you are The Queen and they are the servants.  It's most important to take care of you and the kids can learn from that.

I'll be three weeks out from bilaterals tomorrow and I've been walking 3 to 6 blocks every day since I got home with just a cane. But.................we are all different!
Bilateral, Dr Scott Marwin, NYU Joint Disease Hosp, 11/15/11

jjmclain

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2011, 02:10:01 PM »
Christine,

You should be able to walk the 2 blocks uphill whether you are on two crutches or one and it will be good for you...unless you are given a specific restriction that does not enable you to walk. I found I could still load/unload the dishwasher and do laundry without breaking the 90 degree rule by sticking the operated leg straight out behind me as I bent over. My Mom who had a THR told me about that trick!

Let everyone take care of you at first, but then you will see that you will feel much better doing things and not laying around all day. Just be careful and stick to your restrictions.

June

CEK001

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2011, 02:36:58 PM »
Thanks June! I was really hoping I didn't have to have my mom stay with me longer... as then I would have to come up with strategies on how not to kill her!!! I love my mom dearly, but... well... we all have our limits :) 

DGossack

• Adventures in Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2011, 04:53:42 PM »
I was certainly able to take care of myself after two weeks.  It all depends on what type of shape you are in.  I was walking several times a day. 

Unless there are some unusual circumstances, you should be fine.  I totally understand the comment about having mom around for too long.

Best wishes.

Dan
LBHR, Dr. Pritchett, 8/1/2011
fullmetalhip.wordpress.com

Tin Soldier

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2011, 07:16:08 PM »
I was able to wash dishes at 4 days, eventhough I didn't want to.  Lean on one crutch and belly up to the sink.  It was actually kind of resfreshing.  At 11 days, I was hobbling around on a cane.  I think a couple blocks ought to not be too bad at that time.  I do think it would be good to not get set on a particular recovery, be positive, but don't expect that it will work out without a hitch and expect to have a few setbacks.  As Woody pointed out, we all have different recoveries.  If your mom stays a little longer, well that might just be a good thing for you guys. 
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

CEK001

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2011, 07:29:47 PM »
Fortunately I will have my Mom for a good 11 days, so I am hoping that after that point I can thank her for her loving support and we can part smiling.  I figure if I have to ask her to stay long, I will be in so much pain I will be on continuous medication... thus not notice she's around reorganizing my spice rack or something... :)

hernanu

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2011, 07:43:25 PM »
Hey Christine! I'm on my own and was able to handle myself after a week, but my kids are in college, I am not a single mom of younger kids. If you given them more responsibility, they can probably help a lot, but other moms on the site can probably better tell you what the demands were. I know there's moms with young lids (Lori.36?) Who can give you the lay of the land
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

lori.36

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2011, 11:08:05 AM »
HI Christine,

I am also a young mother.  I had my surgery at 37 and at that time my kids were 4 and 18 months.  I was able to walk a mile with a crutch at three weeks, and I live in Colorado, so everything is uphill.  I agree that the kids will adjust to helping you and will actually take care of you.  I had help from my MIL for 2 weeks post op, she helped my husband take care of the kids.  After the 2 weeks my mom came, but she stayed in a different house and just provided meals for me, not help with the kids.  I did have someone come help me on the day that I was at home alone with the kids, but my LO was 18 months and I could not put her in the car seat.  :(  With the ages of your kids, I think you will be fine.
L-BHR 5-11-2011 Dr Rector
R-HR 9-11-2015 Dr Gross

lori.36

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2011, 11:18:16 PM »
I did want to say that if you need someone to talk with feel free to PM me and I will send you my cell #.  You can do this.
L-BHR 5-11-2011 Dr Rector
R-HR 9-11-2015 Dr Gross

maxx6789

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2011, 01:06:28 AM »
although each person's recovery is different (have you heard that before or what?), it seems totally likely that you will be able to do the things you mentioned at 2 to 3 weeks. i am not sure if you will be 100% independent enough to do things like ... drive yourself around, run errands, go shopping, carry groceries ... will you still have help for those things? good luck to you with your recovery!!
Left BHR Della Valle, Sept 14, 2011
Right BHR Della Valle, April 4, 2012

FlbrkMike

« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2011, 01:14:31 AM »
Hi Christine, I'm obviously not a single mother, but I was back in my office in 10 days after both operations.  My wife works in the same office so she drove for the first couple of weeks.

Nobody can predict how fast you will recover.  But what I can predict is that you will be amazed at how fast you get your strength and mobility back.  I figured I'd be pretty much off my feet for 2 to 3 weeks minimum, but I pretty much had to remind myself to take it slowly after the first week.

Mike

« Last Edit: December 10, 2011, 01:16:09 AM by FlbrkMike »
Dr. Ball
56 years old
LBHR 2/11/11
RBHR 3/11/11

Recent Posts

Re: 8 Years Left / 15 Years Right -- checking in by 23109VC
November 23, 2021, 12:06:24 PM

Re: Nadine Soffer 20 Year Update Hip Resurfacing Dr Schmalzreid 2001 by 23109VC
November 23, 2021, 12:03:38 PM

Re: Deciding what to do... by 23109VC