+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: How much walking should I do?  (Read 1991 times)

papalagidiver

How much walking should I do?
« on: December 05, 2011, 12:26:17 PM »
Hello everyone,
Today is my 5th day home and I wonder how much walking should I do.  Is it possible to overdo and slow down the recovery?  I am feeling great and take one pain killer at night to help me sleep.  My doctor told me to stay on crutches for 6 weeks to protect the femoral neck or something like that.  Can I walk on the street with crutches or is it too early?

Mark

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: How much walking should I do?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2011, 01:07:37 PM »
It is possible to over do!   You are early on in your recovery.  Walking is good for you, but remember however far you go away - you have to return.  If you over do you walking, you could end up with more pain and swelling.  So take it easy for now.  I don't think it is a problem to walk on the street - just don't go too far now.  Pace yourself. In a few weeks, you will be walking much more and just listen to your body.  If you get too tired, hurt or have swelling, back off a bit.

Good Luck.

Pat

Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

ScubaDuck

• Adventures in Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2011, 04:57:00 PM »
I don't think you can do any permanent damage walking.  The biggest problem is if you have pain and swelling that prevents you from doing your exercises or walking more later.  I would do several shorter walks rather than one long one.  Then you should be able to increase until you can combine two walks into one.

Best wishes.

Dan
LHRA, Birmingham, Dr. Pritchett, 8/1/2011
RHRA, EndoTec, Dr. Pritchett, 12/6/2022
fullmetalhip.wordpress.com

maxx6789

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2011, 06:40:51 PM »
i wondered this question, too. not sure there is a single answer. but, i agree with pat, you can overdo it and should listen to your body.

for me, during the first 6 weeks, i took three walks each day. in the beginning, they were short (the first day it was to the end of the driveway) but i quickly increased them overtime. after about 10 days, each walk was about 20 to 30 minutes. i could have walked further but didn't see the real need. the weather during my recovery (early fall) made it nice and enjoyable to be outside ... not sure i would have been as consistent during the colder months.
Left BHR Della Valle, Sept 14, 2011
Right BHR Della Valle, April 4, 2012

Tin Soldier

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2011, 06:51:24 PM »
I think I slowed down my recovery when I walked 7 miles at 4 weeks.  I had a lot of pain in the front of the hip, like a labral tear-sort of pain and it stuck around for a few weeks.  The PT had to change some of the workouts I did.  If I had taken it a bit easier I think my initial recovery would have been shorter.  At this point (3 months) though I think I'm pretty much healed on the soft tissue. 

On the other hand, I hear most folks saying that walking is probably the best PT you can do.  I have to agree as long as it's moderate.  Good luck.
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

curt

• Runner with the cruddy cartilage
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2011, 08:29:19 AM »
     In the early stages, I agree that walking is the best therapy, but instead of "more is better" as a philosophy (which probaby got lots of us in trouble), focus on being consistent and measured.  Your soft tissue will thank you.

Curt
51 yr, RHBiomet, Dr. Gross, 9/30/11
happy, hopeful, hip-full

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz