+-

Advertisements

Welcome Back

The Hip Talk Discussion Forum was hacked a few weeks back. It has taken me a long time to fix it. The only backup I could use was way back to April 2020. All members and posts up to that date are available. Anything newer has been lost. I am sorry, but that has been the only way to get things up and running again.

Author Topic: My rear end hurts!  (Read 2515 times)

Aerial

My rear end hurts!
« on: December 07, 2011, 12:30:42 PM »
It feels like someone shot me in the rear end!  I can tell it is in incision area which is good I guess.  It is quite painful.  Is this normal?  I also notice there is alot of swelling in that area.  I had surgery on Monday 12/5 so I know it is very early.  However, many people say they feel no pain.  At the moment I certainly do.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2011, 12:54:38 PM by Aerial »
Right hip resurfacing with Dr. Gross on 12/5/11!

Dan L

• LBHR Dr Brooks, 10/2011; RBHR 2/2012
Re: My rear end hurts!
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2011, 01:22:30 PM »
For me there was alot of post surgical pain for sure for at least a week and 1/2, some there, just no more of the pain in the actual hip joint that was caused by the deteriorated joint (OA, femoral head osteophytes, brusied socket, torn labrum) itself after about 12 hours from the surgery.  All soft tissue pain as far as I can reason.

The surgeons cut, or spread musle fibers out of the way to get at your hip, and pull all of that geography out of the way before they roto-root your socket and trim bone off your femoral head to fit the cap, so it is probably reasonable to expect substantial pain in and around the incision for a while, particularly this close to surgery.  As much as many here and elsewhere, me included, do not enjoy taking the meds to control the pain, one risks a slower and more difficult recovery if your pain levels this close to your surgery this week are not controlled to a reasonable level, so it's a good idea to take the meds prescribed and if not controlling the pain, to contact your physician.

Just some observations from what I went through.
LBHR Dr Brooks, 10/2011; RBHR 2/2012

curt

• Runner with the cruddy cartilage
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2011, 01:27:22 PM »
     Aerial, no pain does not mean no pain.  Like Dan, the joint feels so good people don't mention the surgical pain.  The area around the wound hurt less and less each day, but took several weeks until I could massage the scar without wincing.  Lots of cutting and trauma to deal with.  Also, I was caught unaware about how much my quad, knee area and groin would be hurting after the surgery.  It will pass pretty quickly and be manageable.  Congrats on the rest of it!

Curt
51 yr, RHBiomet, Dr. Gross, 9/30/11
happy, hopeful, hip-full

imgetinold

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2011, 01:59:11 PM »
Sorry about the pain Aerial, but congrats on getting it done.  Please follow up each day and let me know how the incision pain subsides.  I'm due in about a month, and that pain is what I'm worried about a bit.  Good luck!
Andy - Right Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 1/11/2012......GO BOILERS!

Aerial

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2011, 02:06:15 PM »
It literally feels like a gun shot wound to my rear end.  I am icing now and might try a short walk outdoors.  I might need to just get things moving to free up the rear end.

obxpelican

• ~Welcome to SixBurgh~
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2011, 02:25:38 PM »
I call that the monkey fist, cause that is what I felt like I had in my incision area.  That pain will go away, keep it iced, take pain meds if you have to but it will go away.

Chuck

It feels like someone shot me in the rear end!  I can tell it is in incision area which is good I guess.  It is quite painful.  Is this normal?  I also notice there is alot of swelling in that area.  I had surgery on Monday 12/5 so I know it is very early.  However, many people say they feel no pain.  At the moment I certainly do.
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

hernanu

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2011, 02:49:33 PM »
Hey Aerial - like folks have said, the lack of pain is the absence of OA pain, not a lack of surgical pain. I felt pain, but was so stoked about the lack of OA pain, it was by comparison not so bad.

I also have been used to handling a lot of workout related pain, and to me, the surgical (muscle / soft tissue) soreness felt like a really intense workout, when your muscles are just ready to give. I (maybe subconsciously) equated that to what I was feeling, so it wasn't really pain, just restoring the muscles as I had done before.

Plenty of discomfort there for me, from:

• The incision itself -Time took care of this.
  • Scar tissue -Time and PT massage / self massage + stretching.
  • Swelling - Time, ICE!!! and elevation.
  • IT band being ornery - Strengthening, PT and the holy roller..  ;D
  • Soft tissue around the hip - Time and walking.
  • Overworked muscles (illeoapsas, etc.) - Rest, PT and stretching.
  • Knee, ankle (for me) - Good walking shoes (I was using bad sneakers to work out in), strength.
  • discomfort sitting - Time and working out. This took about 6 months.
  • other smaller issues... carpal tunnel from the remote... - A constant struggle.  ::)

But none were overwhelming, just twinges, soreness or just an issue for a short time. They were annoying, but always improved once I took some steps. Because of all of these, stay ahead of the discomfort / pain take the meds you need and you'll be fine. The strength comes, and with that relief of these but thankfully, none of these are that grinding OA hell.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2011, 02:51:23 PM by hernanu »
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Aerial

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2011, 03:46:10 PM »
Thanks all....I guess I am not experiencing anything unusual. "Monkey fist" is definitely a good descriptor of the pain/sensation.

jjmclain

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2011, 05:07:32 PM »
Aerial,

I remember describing my left butt cheek as a giant pumpkin post-surgery! I am a small person so the whole left side of my body was swollen, specifically my rear end!! It made it difficult to sit on that side. Walking around and moving really helped! It will get better.

June

Luann

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2011, 05:51:54 AM »
OK, Aerial, I know it is really not funny, but you made me laugh with your post's "Headline"! As long as your incision is not infected, Yes, it does hurt the buttocks. You are still so fresh out of the hospital, give it time. Take the meds, don't be brave, be comfortable. Lu
F age 45 right hip C+ Dr.Sparling 6/02/10

Recent Posts

New to resurfacing wondering about surgeons by smartinny
September 21, 2020, 02:20:37 AM

Re: 9 years later and I think it's time for my other hip by imgetinold
September 17, 2020, 06:45:07 PM

Re: Need help finding a Surgeon by imgetinold
September 17, 2020, 06:40:18 PM

Re: 3 months post op with MAJOR problems by ahausheer
September 16, 2020, 05:18:14 AM

Advertisements

Donate Thru Pay Pal