+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: groin pain worse with PT and stretching  (Read 2427 times)

panelpe

groin pain worse with PT and stretching
« on: December 07, 2011, 11:30:09 PM »
I am 7 weeks out from a right BHR, so far I feel like my recovery is going well (good ROM, walking pretty well, able to put a sock on) with the exception of some nagging groin pain.  The pain is deep in the groin and inner thigh and bothers me when taking a full stride while walking or quickly adducting the right leg. Shortly after surgery it was much worse, to the point that it required that I use crutches when it got bad.  It is definitely improving but strangely now only occurs or is made much worse after doing my PT or stretching, these stretches were given to me by my PT intended to stretch out the muscles presumed to be causing the pain (the adductors and the illiopsaoas).  I stopped all stretching and PT exercises 4 days ago and the pain is nearly gone and I'm walking pain free.  I know groin pain is commonplace after surgery but was more curious about the fact that the symptoms resolve if I stop doing the things that are supposed to help ie. stretching.  I've asked my PT and PA if I should continue stretching or just do what keeps me symptom free, they kind of give me conflicting advise.  For now I've cut way back on the stretching and PT and am just walking but am concerned that I might be sacrificing long term flexiblity (although right now I would rather walk pain free than work on my splits).  Thanks for any insight.

ScubaDuck

• Adventures in Hip Resurfacing
Re: groin pain worse with PT and stretching
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2011, 01:58:46 AM »
I had a lot of groin pain as well.  I found that ice was my friend.  I continued to stretch and do my PT exercises while not pushing too far.  I have suspected that this is partially due to the trauma caused when dislocating the hip.  I think it is also partially due to the change in your gait.

I even have groin pain, like right now, when I overdo it in my workouts.  And that is at four months.  I just remember that it took years for my muscles to get used to my limp.  And it will take awhile for everything to get strong and back in place.

Best wishes.

Dan
LHRA, Birmingham, Dr. Pritchett, 8/1/2011
RHRA, EndoTec, Dr. Pritchett, 12/6/2022
fullmetalhip.wordpress.com

hernanu

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2011, 07:26:21 AM »
Hi Panelpe, I think Dan's got it right. You always listen to your body; stretching is great, but it can be overdone.

Stretching should never hurt, if it does, you are not stretching. I think you're doing the right thing - rest anything that feels painful, soreness is normal to me, but pain is not.

I still get groin pain every once in a while (every other month or so) if I overwork my legs. I just lay low for a day or so and everything is fine.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

curt

• Runner with the cruddy cartilage
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2011, 08:20:20 AM »
     I have gone a little backwards in the pain and aches category.  I think it supports what Dan and Hern are saying:  getting more ROM and pushing the limits leads to more aches.  The first four weeks were pain free in the groin and around the hip.  As I have increased my walking and strides (varying the gait and speed) I find that I'm pretty sore in the groin and sometimes in my front crease.  It goes away with a little movement, but I think its purely a result of overusing muscles that haven't been used that way for a loooooong time, and using muscles that are still tender from the surgery.  If I'm sore I follow up with a lighter day, slower pace etc. 
     Compared to the constant pain from before surgery, its laughable...I think I'm becoming a hypochondriac!!

Curt
51 yr, RHBiomet, Dr. Gross, 9/30/11
happy, hopeful, hip-full

panelpe

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2011, 05:26:49 PM »
thanks for the perspective and thoughts.  I would agree that I too have become somewhat of a hypochondriac, probably overanalyzing every new twinge, click or snap, when in reality if something were really wrong I would likely know it without a shadow of a doubt.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat