+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: 1 year old today/Mr. NORRISH  (Read 5869 times)

chris finn

1 year old today/Mr. NORRISH
« on: December 09, 2011, 01:22:21 PM »
.....and just to make sure I didnt forget...it went numb (it does that from time to time) when I was at the top of my stepladder outside a customers house.....guess what happened...yup...I ended up in a heap on the floor, wondering what the hell had happened...OWCH!!!!

So apart from the random numbness...and the constant pain in my new hip,and my non operated hip,and my lower back..everything is great  ::) ::)

Maybe Im naive, but I thought it would be:

(1) Have an operation
 (2) Recover
 (3) Go back to my life..or near to it.

but Ive been moved into the office at work 99% of the time because of the pain (which started July/August) if I do anything strenuous or bend or lift. And I cant get back into any sport properly due to the pain....and all the doctor does is throw painkillers at me. Im seeing the surgeon in mid January for a checkup...and I will tell him, but he will almost certainly suggest more surgery..and we still havent recovered financially from when I was off last time.

and breathe

sorry all...had to get that off my chest...feeling very fed up at the moment :(
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 08:11:05 PM by Pat Walter »
BIRMINGHAM RESURFACE, LEFT HIP, 9TH DEC 2010,BY MR A. NORRISH...CONSULTANT-SURGEON, ADDENBROOKE`S HOSPITAL...CAMBRIDGE UK

FlbrkMike

Re: Happy anniversary to my hip....1 year old today
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2011, 02:02:52 PM »
Wow.

Sorry to hear that things aren't going as expected, and hoped for.

I had pretty much the same expectations, and so far so good.  So far my biggest pain is in my shoulders from a lot of rowing.

Pain killers are definitely not a long term solution.  I sincerely hope your surgeon can find a good non-surgical solution.

Mike
Dr. Ball
56 years old
LBHR 2/11/11
RBHR 3/11/11

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2011, 02:09:16 PM »
Chris,
        Really sorry to hear your problems! I really hope you get them sorted!!! If I were you I would also seek a second surgical opinion after you go back to your guy. From what I've seen of surgeons if they do make a mistake they will always do what ever they can to deflect the blame!
Danny
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

ScubaDuck

• Adventures in Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2011, 03:21:58 PM »
Chris-

I am so sorry to hear that you haven't been able to get painfree.  Like Mike, I have been able to pretty much get back to normal.  I have some soreness if I push my exercises a bit because of weakness in that leg.  But it is getting better.

Painkillers are a short term solution to a problem.  I believe that they should not be used unless a chronic condition is diagnosed with no remedy.

Danny, it seems I have heard quite a few surgeons deflect the blame.  There a few professionals who will own the problem and work with the patient for a better outcome.

Best wishes Chris.  Push hard for answers.

Dan
LHRA, Birmingham, Dr. Pritchett, 8/1/2011
RHRA, EndoTec, Dr. Pritchett, 12/6/2022
fullmetalhip.wordpress.com

Tin Soldier

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2011, 07:25:05 PM »
Sorry to hear about the anniversary and the problems.  Maybe getting the second hip sorted out with a new doc or with a few more opinions will help.  Maybe a look at the BHR by another surgeon will provide some answers.  Hope you get things sorted out.
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

hernanu

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2011, 08:00:20 PM »
Damn, Chris sorry to hear that. Did anything show up on XRays about why you have pain?
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

chris finn

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2011, 03:40:07 AM »
Cheers all for your replies

x-rays didnt show anything (well remembered hernanu  ;) )  ...apparently all is good in the joint.

Im not 100 % sure,but the pain could be refered pain from either my other hip or my back. I will push the surgeon for answers when I see him and see where it gets me....but I must admit that Im putting it off as long as possible...more surgery means more time off work which means another 5 or 6 months with very little income.

The only other decent surgeon near-ish to me is at Stanmore Orthopedic Hospital....so if dont get any joy  I will push to go there....that will really please my doctor as she thinks Im a pushy trouble maker already  ;) :-X

to be honest your replies and interest have cheered me up already....which is all part of what this brilliant site does I suppose.....well done Pat  :) :)
BIRMINGHAM RESURFACE, LEFT HIP, 9TH DEC 2010,BY MR A. NORRISH...CONSULTANT-SURGEON, ADDENBROOKE`S HOSPITAL...CAMBRIDGE UK

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2011, 07:29:49 AM »
Ha my gp hates the sight of me cos I don't let him mug me off! So I know how you feel with that chris! Keep pushing for answers mate
Danny
Train hard fight easy
60mm cup 54mm head
;)

hernanu

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2011, 11:57:32 AM »
Hey Chris - I like pushy troublemakers, they don't get run over by the medical establishment. Keep it up, you deserve to be pain free.

chris finn

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2012, 05:51:14 PM »
So....Im seeing my surgeon tomorrow afternoon.  :-X :-X

curt

• Runner with the cruddy cartilage
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2012, 06:29:15 PM »
Good luck Chris, hope you get some news you can use.

Curt
51 yr, RHBiomet, Dr. Gross, 9/30/11
happy, hopeful, hip-full

hernanu

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2012, 09:00:29 PM »
Good luck, Chris - keep their feet to the fire. Happy New years, things will turn out well.

chris finn

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2012, 02:46:46 PM »
So its good news and bad news.

The good news is that my hip is ok. The implant is at 44.3 degrees. The chromium and cobalt levels are good. And the surgeon is very happy about the way it has seated itself.

So..I told him about the pain..and the "deadleg" and after some thought he rang a collegue. The back surgeon at Addenbrookes, who came down to where we were and asked me loads of questions and examined me. He is convinced that all my pain now is due to my spine and my sciatic nerve.

So ( I seem to say that alot dont I  ;D ) Im having a scan in a couple of weeks and we will take it from there..although the back guy is pretty sure that he can sort me out..possibly without too much invasive surgery.

so ( ::) even Im getting bored of saying it now  ;) ) I may be pain free this year  ;D ;D

hernanu

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2012, 03:23:48 PM »
Well, Chris - congrats and sorry....

Even on the back front, though - it sounds positive. If in fact he's confident he can help without surgery, or with minimal (low recovery time?) then the news is good.

On the hip front (and I do apologize ahead of time) Hip hip hooray!!!  ::) 

Can't ask for better than that.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 03:29:26 PM by hernanu »

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2012, 04:15:59 PM »
Chris,
         I really hope that you get your back sorted! Atleast your bhr is fine. Danny
Train hard fight easy
60mm cup 54mm head
;)

newdog

• I am a Gross Hippy!
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2012, 07:49:51 PM »
Chris,

The hip news is not good news, it's great news! Too bad about the back, but I'm sure they'll get it figured out.
Steve, Dr. Gross bilateral, uncemented Biomet, January 10 & 12, 2011, Columbia S.C.

chris finn

« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2012, 01:59:47 AM »
lol cheers all  ;D ;D

I am a lot more positive than I was a few days ago

Tin Soldier

« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2012, 05:51:43 PM »
That's good to hear, about the hip.  Sorry about the back.  There's probably a forum for that subject, or 3 or 4 forums or more on the back.   ;)
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

chris finn

« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2012, 01:08:29 PM »
I am still convinced that at least some of the pain is from my hip, but if they sort out my back, I will be in a hell of a lot less pain. ;) ;D

marcus

« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2012, 01:31:11 PM »
chris
i know its not worth a lot but i retired from my job with a bad back as did a very good friend
several years later he had his hip replaced and his back improved
i have also found i have hip arthritis and cysts and my guess is this was also effecting my back
when the doctor first said my pain may be my hip i did not think nice things about him
but it appears he may be right
my point is you may be different and you have disturbed your back which feels like your hip ?
not very well explained but they do appear linked
hope you get it sorted either way
marcus

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
Yesterday at 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz