+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Hip Arthroscopy for FAI  (Read 2911 times)

Jbennett

Hip Arthroscopy for FAI
« on: December 09, 2011, 11:51:42 PM »
Now that Dr. Gross is the first ortho to actually tell me why my hip got bad so young I've started wondering if it would be good to try arthroscopy on the other hip before it starts hurting and see if I can delay or eliminate the need to resurface that one in the future. Anybody have a success story for that procedure. Seems like it cold be useful if you do it before you really damage anything. My left hip is still in pretty good shape. No pain at all and good cartilage but you can easily see the femoral neck has some lesions that will eventually mess it up like the right one. It does pop once in a while (of course that hurts a little)and that is happening more often but I'm not sure the popping is not at least partially because the right side is so bad.
Right Biomet Uncemented Dr. Gross 3/14/12

Dannywayoflife

Re: Hip Arthroscopy for FAI
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2011, 01:18:50 PM »
I'd seek the opinion of a really good arthroscopy surgeon. I know arthroscopy is very rarely successful when oa has taken hold. But it think it can be really successful if there is no oa.
Like I say ask an expert in the subject hell ask a few
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

Aerial

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2011, 02:01:11 PM »
I had arthroscopic surgery followed a year later by hip resurfacing.  Dr. Gross did not do my arthroscopic surgery but he did my resurfacing.  I already had signs of arthritis in my hip, labral tearing and FAI prior to arthroscopy.  I was hoping to buy some time to hip replacement or resurfacing but that didn't work out.  In between arthroscopic surgery and going in for HR I went from mild/moderate OA to severe OA in a little over a year.  For me the arthroscopic was basically a wasted surgery.  The story might be different if I didn't have signs of OA in the hip.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2011, 02:02:05 PM by Aerial »
Right hip resurfacing with Dr. Gross on 12/5/11!

rubyred

• Never Give Up
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2011, 07:15:34 AM »
I know for me personally, an arthroscopy didn't help me in the slightest. I have a tiny bit of OA in the left hip, not enough for a replacement of any kind so initially an arthroscopy was chosen by my then surgeon to be the best way to go... the benefits last 2-3 weeks before the pain returned.

It's individual choise of course, but I know that if I could have BHR I would have it without hesistation.
LBHR - 9th August 2012 - Mr R. Treacy

Welcome back to life.

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2011, 11:56:30 AM »
Hi ruby how have you been doing?
Danny
Train hard fight easy
60mm cup 54mm head
;)

rubyred

• Never Give Up
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2011, 07:15:51 AM »
Hi ruby how have you been doing?
Danny

Hi Danny,

I've not been too brilliant unfortunately. Had a series of falls due to my hip just giving out. I ended up in A&E sobbing, begging them to do something, but all they did was give me a Tramadol and told me to lose weight.

I've since had my MRI Mr Treacy requested and i'm awaiting the results from him.

I've even been to see a chiropractor, just for some advice and his opinion - and it turned out to be VERY enlightening. He took a set of his own xrays and compared them to the ones the hospital took.... Apparently I have disc bulges and a 6th lower lumbar vertebrae compared to most people who have 5. My surgeons would have known this but neglected to tell me :( I also have 50% less bone structure than someone my age should have, my whole left side isn't level and is leaning right into my hip and my pelvis isn't straight. I'm falling apart pretty much.

He agreed though that my Dysplasia is 50% of the problem, but what's making it worse is all of the above problems which is affecting my hip in the worst way possible. They're attacking it almost.

Welcome back to life.

jjmclain

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2011, 07:26:18 AM »
Hi Ruby,

Before my resurfacing I tried all kinds of things, including a visit to the chiropractor. I was told the same thing...that I have a 6th lower lumbar vertebrae. The visits gave me a little relief for a short period, but then all it did was empty my pockets! I am now one year post-op Left BHR and back to all of my activities including running. I hope you get some answers soon.

June

curt

• Runner with the cruddy cartilage
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2011, 07:34:01 AM »
      Ruby, I would be interested to hear if ANYONE has benefited very long from arthroscopic surgery on an OA or pre-OA hip, or if it just delayed the inevitable.  Its such a deep joint seems like it would do about as much as it does with knees...feels great for a little while and then fades away after a year or two.  I hope you get good advice on what to do.  Not a fan of surgery if its results are temporary.  Problem I guess is if anyone got arthroscopic surgery and got permanent relief, would they read this site?  Good luck.

Curt
51 yr, RHBiomet, Dr. Gross, 9/30/11
happy, hopeful, hip-full

rubyred

• Never Give Up
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2011, 07:36:48 AM »
      Ruby, I would be interested to hear if ANYONE has benefited very long from arthroscopic surgery on an OA or pre-OA hip, or if it just delayed the inevitable.  Its such a deep joint seems like it would do about as much as it does with knees...feels great for a little while and then fades away after a year or two.  I hope you get good advice on what to do.  Not a fan of surgery if its results are temporary.  Problem I guess is if anyone got arthroscopic surgery and got permanent relief, would they read this site?  Good luck.

Curt

Thats a very good point. The doctor I saw in A&E about a fortnight ago told me that my hip will eventually just wear out completely - it's the nature of the dysplasia beast, however in the meantime, nothing is helping the pain.

Welcome back to life.

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2011, 08:10:14 AM »
Ruby I'm so sorry to hear your not doing so well at the moment. I hope mr treacy can either do something for you or referr you to someone who can. He really strikes me as being interested in helping his patients and he is really compassionate.
I am praying for you
Danny
Train hard fight easy
60mm cup 54mm head
;)

rubyred

• Never Give Up
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2011, 06:53:14 AM »
Ruby I'm so sorry to hear your not doing so well at the moment. I hope mr treacy can either do something for you or referr you to someone who can. He really strikes me as being interested in helping his patients and he is really compassionate.
I am praying for you
Danny

Thank you so much :-) Hopefully I should get the MRI results this side of Christmas. I will let you know if anything gets found.

Welcome back to life.

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2011, 08:41:16 AM »
Your very welcome ruby! Remember as I am finding at the min a problem shared is a problem halfed.
Danny
Train hard fight easy
60mm cup 54mm head
;)

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM