+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Pre-op Screening  (Read 2311 times)

Dozer26

Pre-op Screening
« on: December 10, 2011, 08:20:01 PM »
New to the board and though I’ve been reading your posts for the past month, this is my  first. My better half suggested I put down a marker before hand so here goes with my story. I’m a Navy vet with 20+ years in the game. I’m also a hockey player, runner, and weight lifter - well, I used to be before the rhumitis took me out of competition. Happened slowly over the past 10 years and it’s only been the last few months that i’ve had to drop the squats, presses and deadlifts. Running and ice time are well in the past though, and I’m hanging on to my military career by the skin of my teeth.

With that I’m on the table at the end of next month for the first of two BHR’s by Dr. Brooks with Cleveland Clinic, that is if I pass the pre-surgery screening. I’ve heard about all sorts of things knocking people out - metal and other allergies, blood clotting issues, heart, liver and/or kidney problems, etc. Since I’m running up on 50 I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on how to prep for the test to improve the odds of passing? I’m highly motivated and would dine on chimpmunks and rutebegas if it would help me get through this successfully. Either that or let me know I’m making too much of nothing. Thanks!

Shelby
Bilat BHR Dr. Brooks, Cleveland Clinic
Jan/May 2012

Luanna

Re: Pre-op Screening
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2011, 08:39:16 PM »
Welcome Shelby. Sounds like you are doing all your research to help ensure that you have a positive outcome.

I'm not sure what kind of testing you will have to go through and pass. I basically had my surgeon take x-rays over a three year period and when it was time for surgery (bone on bone and in constant pain) we did it. I don't recall any tests but there may have been some that I've forgotten about. I put the surgery off as long as possible in hopes that I'd have a miraculous recovery somehow by just doing exercises and hoping. That didn't do it but the surgery has me well on my way to being active and pain free again.

Lots of great people on this site who will be happy to share their experiences and thoughts.

Best wishes,
Luanna
RHR 8/30/2011 - Dr. Pritchett - Stryker Trident Shell /X3 Poly liner acetabular cup. BHR head.

ScubaDuck

• Adventures in Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2011, 10:33:54 PM »
Shelby-

This isn't a test you can prep for.  You should know from your own medical history and family history whether you have issues that preclude you from having HR.  Are you allergic to metal (do the dog tags bother your skin)?  There is no test that I know of for this.  Have you had other medical issues that would prevent surgery?

Generally they will determine whether you have a condition that would be alleviated with HR.  Then do you have good bone structure and density.

So there is nothing you can really do to prepare.  You either are a candidate or not.

Best wishes.

Dan
LHRA, Birmingham, Dr. Pritchett, 8/1/2011
RHRA, EndoTec, Dr. Pritchett, 12/6/2022
fullmetalhip.wordpress.com

imgetinold

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2011, 04:08:59 PM »
Shelby,

I haven't seen any list like you're describing, thought each surgeon may have their own standards.  Dr. Gross in SC needed to see X-rays, and pre-surgery needed bloodwork, EKG, and a chest X-ray.  But, no part of my research turned up similar things.  I think a metal allergy would be a problem, but from what I've read that is rare, and you would know it.  My mother was allergic to any type of metal on her skin except gold, so she probably wouldn't have been eligible if she needed it.

With that said, I DO think the chipmunk and rutebega diet will help.... :P
Andy
- Right Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 1/11/2012
- Left Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 10/28/2020

BOILER UP!

hernanu

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2011, 06:40:41 PM »
Shelby, I've heard the regular test is no problem, but the written is a killer!!

Well, I think you'll be fine, no worries. Just decide how long you want to stay in the service after you become bionic. Squirrels and rutabagas? You should go in the Seals with eating habits like those
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Luanna

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2011, 10:52:32 PM »
Hi Shelby,
How's it going? Hope you are getting ready for your surgery with Dr. Brooks. Next month will be here before you know it. Do you feel like your getting prepared?

Best wishes to you for an uneventful surgery and a speedy recovery.

Luanna
RHR 8/30/2011 - Dr. Pritchett - Stryker Trident Shell /X3 Poly liner acetabular cup. BHR head.

Dozer26

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2012, 06:07:52 PM »
Thanks to you all for the replies! You're right, can't prep for this one (pre-admin testing, that is). Just excited about the possibility of getting this done and back in the game that I freaked out when I heard about some of the DNQ's due to metal allergies, etc. Thanks again.

V/R,

Shelby
Jan/May 2012

hernanu

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2012, 08:54:58 PM »
Sounds good, Shelby - keep us posted.

I also let go of the weight lifting last, and was able to get back to it after six months or so (light initially, though). After recuperation, the things you gave up will be there again, and maybe some new ones.

Dozer26

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2012, 06:10:08 PM »
Well, I had the screening today and as you all pointed out it was not a test I could cram for but through sheer dumb luck or latent good Karma seemed to have passed. Came away feeling like all concerned (RN's and PA's) were very concerned about me and the outcome of the procedure. Everyone took the time to answer my questions and improve my understanding of the operation, post op period, recovery and rehab. Still a little freaked out about the anesthesia (hate being knocked out), but the rest of it seems like I hill I can climb.

And, in case others in N.E Ohio follow me down this path I'd like to note that I was pleasantly surprised by Euclid Hospital, where the good doctor will perform the magic. I haven't been there in 30 or so years (hockey injury) and I was impressed by what I saw of the facility - clean, well lit, and well structured - and the staff. Right from the receptionist who walked me back to my next station, the lovely older woman who processed my insurance and contact info, the RN and PA who did my physical, everyone I interacted with was very nice, caring, and professional. The site too is quite charming, sitting right on the lake with grounds that seem to favor patient and staff use rather than logistics and parking. All in all I would have to say that as far as hospitals go, Euclid is a little and perhaps unknown gem in the Cleveland Clinic system. I may not recommend it for a weekend of fun and frolic, but if you have to get some med work done and you have the choice, I'd give a look at Euclid.

So there it is, one week to go and I'm prepped and ready. As my DW points out, some that follow may be interested so I'll drop a post when I'm on the other side and wearing the new hardware.

Thanks again to all of you for your replies and sharing your stories.

V/R,

Shelby

Jan/May 2012

newdog

• I am a Gross Hippy!
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2012, 08:07:46 PM »
Dozer,

Dr. Brooks is one of the best. Keep us posted and we look forward to your posts as a Hippy! By the way, the "new hardware" is awesome! You'll see.
Steve, Dr. Gross bilateral, uncemented Biomet, January 10 & 12, 2011, Columbia S.C.

hernanu

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2012, 09:53:30 PM »
Really good news, Shelby. Don't worry about being knocked out, you'll be amazed at how you go to sleep, wake up and everything is done!

Freaking awesome! It's surprising but not scary at all. Good luck and Dr Brooks has a very good rep.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat