+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: What's the deal with cold weather  (Read 1991 times)

Dan L

• LBHR Dr Brooks, 10/2011; RBHR 2/2012
What's the deal with cold weather
« on: December 11, 2011, 07:09:02 PM »
Have noticed some increased sensitivity to cold/damp and pain increases when exposed to temps maybe 35 f and below, even with relatively short exposure.  Pain in usual muscle areas, but also groin area, near the joint itself, up to moderate levels.  What is odd that even short duration exposure absent exertion or working the hip or muscles much at all seems to create this response.  I'm 9.5 weeks out from lbhr.

Have read here and elsewhere about increased pain and stiffness in some people, just wondering if the HR implant or specifics of this surgery might present different things to look out for in cold weather.  If anyone has any insight from your experiences or interactions with your surgeon, be very interested to know.  Are there things one can do to avoid this?

I look forward to being outside in the colder months, particularly when we get the rare sunny day here in the southern great lakes, and hoping this is expected and temporary.

Thx in advance

Dan

LBHR Dr Brooks, 10/2011; RBHR 2/2012

ScubaDuck

• Adventures in Hip Resurfacing
Re: What's the deal with cold weather
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2011, 10:59:10 PM »
I was just asked that question today.  I haven't noticed any difference between my natural hip and my supernatural one.  And I have been cold water diving with it and out in very cold weather.

I think you may be feeling the muscles and maybe some lack of circulation.

Dan
LHRA, Birmingham, Dr. Pritchett, 8/1/2011
RHRA, EndoTec, Dr. Pritchett, 12/6/2022
fullmetalhip.wordpress.com

Dan L

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2011, 08:03:39 AM »
This is starting to become a bit concerning.  Nothing for pain needed this morning (felt alot better initially than past 2 days when I did need them), and more normal work activity today than over the weekend when this possible cold sensitivity issue reared it's head, and experiencing sharp, sharp pain in the joint itself when lifting that leg up to about a 90 degrees bend at the hip a few minutes ago, the first such pain since the operation.  Kind of frightening

A one-off hopefully, but not so sure.

hernanu

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2011, 10:22:04 AM »
I think overall muscles get a bit tighter in the cold weather unless you're exercising. So tightness might be there. Are you staying in one spot when you are in the cold?
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Dan L

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2011, 02:13:56 PM »
Hern,

Either walking or moving in the cold, or now that you mention it, even just outside keeping an eye on the dogs when I let them out, basically standing still.  I tried walking up the down and back up the drive in the snow on Friday night (about 1400 feet total round trip, and 80' foot descent/rise), and man was I sorry about doing that.  I did the same walk a week ago with no major problems, but it was probably 10 degrees warmer the prior week.  This week was after a busy day and on my feet for a few hours, so maybe there was some exhaustion involved, dunno.

Dan: good point about circulation, given the blood supply is disrupted and takes some months, that would make sense. 

Thanks to both, I really appreciate it.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM