+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Aqua-Jogger  (Read 6712 times)

Woodstock Hippy

Aqua-Jogger
« on: December 12, 2011, 06:55:25 AM »
I got a flotation belt and took it to the pool yesterday.  It was like a miracle.  I walked in the shallow end and it was like I never had a problem.  I even slowly jogged with my feet on the pool floor and it felt great.  I went to the deep water and jogged in place for twenty minutes.  At first it felt more like pedalling a bicycle than running, then I got it more like running, then switched to vertical kicking, back to running, cycling, whatever.  It all felt great and it was getting my heart-rate up  a little.  I did this for twenty minutes then I went back to the shallow water and walked and jogged for another ten minutes.  Then, a short swimming set with the pull buoy and I was finished.

Even if you're not a swimmer I highly recommend that you get one of these flotation belts and get to a pool just to walk around in the water. You will feel so good.

http://www.swimoutlet.com/Jog_Belts_s/212.htm

I got the Sporti belt, it's inexpensive and it works great.
Bilateral, Dr Scott Marwin, NYU Joint Disease Hosp, 11/15/11

Jeremy76761

Re: Aqua-Jogger
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2011, 10:41:58 PM »

I got a water belt from Water Gear through New York roadrunners club and a CD on deep water running which has been cool, although I haven't done much yet. Sometimes water running has bugged the hip too, and I've had knee problems the past couple months which also was irritated even with water running.

Seems to me that overall though water running is great for OA or anyone with BHR interested in lessening hip impact. Water running can be a great part of anyone's running program. You get many of the benefits of running without the impact. The DVD has a whole bunch of half hour workouts if anyone's interested.

www.goswim.tv

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2011, 04:18:09 AM »
I'm finding movement in water to be the best form of rehab at the mo. Not played with any Gucci toys like a floatation belt tho!
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

Jeremy76761

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2011, 09:10:13 AM »

Actually the water belt really does feel like a gucci toy walking in the shallow end. I've been rehab so long I feel just like an old man. The other day, I got kicked out of the liesure lane by a teenag life guard because I was in the way of the teenage swim team. Old man, just an old man.

Woodstock Hippy

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2011, 11:00:24 AM »
I'm glad this thread came back up because I feel that my workouts at the pool are the best thing I'm doing for my recovery and I'm doing a lot; Pt three times a week, walking almost every day up to over  three miles, bicycle on the trainer longest workout so far; 1:15:00, the exercises from Mcminn every day I don't go to PT and the pool workouts.  Last pool workout, friday, I aqua-jogged lifting my knees and working my arms for 40 minutes, then swam 30 minutes then kicked with a kick-board and fins for 10 minutes.  These pool workouts are doing more for me than anything else.  I was at PT this morning and I'll be going to the pool this afternoon.

Right before my surgery I got all new equipment; new suits, new goggles, pull buoy, kick-board, fins, and the flotation belt.  I don't think of any of these as toys.  I think they are the tools I need to get back where I belong.  The jogging belt is inexpensive and jogging in the deep water is probably the best thing you can do.

hipnhop

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2012, 09:08:01 PM »
Your forgot to tell everyone to get the Floral Swim Cap in addition to flotation belt. How could you forget?  It is a must! Ethel and my girls love my hat.  Since I am in the Deep Water area with mostly senior citizens, I make good use of the time. I got a few number too.

That's how I roll (i mean float)

Hip
3/2011 and 2/2012 HR Dr. Craig Thomas

Kiwi

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2012, 02:27:11 AM »
Agree 100% with you Woody. I've been hitting the pool nearly every day lately. We're lucky enough to have free float belts at our local pool here in Wellington & it's only NZ$5 entry to pool complex. Aqua jogging, swimming, doing exercises, steam room, sauna, hot pool all included! Man I feel good in the water. It's a bit early for the water slide ... but I'm increasing my # of lengths every time I visit. Have done a few without the float belt too which tests my lack of fitness, but just steadily building up as I've never been a big swimmer.
I'm sure it's working a lot of those little muscles that take a while to strengthen. Can anyone confirm what muscles swimming is good for... I remember someone telling me once that it's works a lot more that you'd think...?

LBHR 11/23/2011
56mm Head
Hugh Blackley (BHR Trained with Ronan Treacy)
Use it or lose it!

Jimt

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2012, 10:48:59 AM »
Kiwi,

Great stroke is best for hip range of motion
Right bhr 12-02-2011. Dr Su

Arrojo

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2012, 12:17:07 PM »
We have a 4-foot deep pool.  Will it work in that, or does it need to be a deeper pool?
Dr. Su
RBHR 4/9/12

Woodstock Hippy

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2012, 02:05:46 PM »
I don't think 4 ft is going to be enough.   I'm 6 ft and only my head and shoulders stick out of the water.

I'm maintaining 36 to 40 minutes jogging in the pool, three times a week then moving into swimming.  I just started swimming freestyle without a pull buoy and the first two times my legs did not know what to do.  Today was better. I felt more in sync but like I had no fitness.  All this will work out as long as I keep working on it.

Kiwi

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2012, 07:47:51 PM »
Jimt - "Great stroke" - is that just normal freestyle or something else?
LBHR 11/23/2011
56mm Head
Use it or lose it!

Two4One

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2012, 09:29:20 PM »
Woody, the aqua belts and all the other gizmos at my pool are for members to use, and I can't wait to get in the water again in 1 week from now.  I'll be able to skip my monthly dues as long as I'm doing my PT through the Health Center.   Thanks everyone for posting all your great pool workouts; now I've lots to try!
"I was inspired by the very idea of turning the wildest figments of your imagination into something real and creating a life for yourself." - Ken Ilgunas

12/11 Failed Bilateral BHR by Dr. Schmitt  3/14 Positive Metal – LTT for Nickel Allergy.   11/14 Bilat Ceramic/Titanium Revisions.

Jimt

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2012, 11:07:49 PM »
I meant Breast stroke!   Darn auto correct.

Two4One

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2012, 11:19:47 PM »
JimT, your avatar looks like Bruce Willis in the 'Die Hard' period. ;D
"I was inspired by the very idea of turning the wildest figments of your imagination into something real and creating a life for yourself." - Ken Ilgunas

12/11 Failed Bilateral BHR by Dr. Schmitt  3/14 Positive Metal – LTT for Nickel Allergy.   11/14 Bilat Ceramic/Titanium Revisions.

Kiwi

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2012, 01:45:15 AM »
Jimt, no worries mate.
Might get clearance from PT before I start that. When did you start doing breast stroke?
LBHR 11/23/2011
56mm Head
Use it or lose it!

Woodstock Hippy

« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2012, 07:28:47 AM »
Breast Stroke?  I barely know freestyle, and right now my legs have to learn it all over again.

For the past 2 1/2 years I've only been swimming with  a pull buoy, and only going to the pool on weekends with my wife as the last workout left that we could do together.  Now I've got a ton of work to do, but plenty of time to do it.

Jimt

« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2012, 10:09:05 PM »
Kiwi,

My Doc wanted me to start as soon as I could.  Started swimming 3 weeks post op.

Jimt

Arrojo

« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2012, 03:56:02 PM »
I borrowed one from a friend and am biking to the lake, doing 30 minutes with the aqua jogger and bking home every other day.  Great workout!
Dr. Su
RBHR 4/9/12

Woodstock Hippy

« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2012, 09:00:40 AM »
Arrojo, sounds like a nice workout.  Keep working, smartly.  I know you'll get back to where you belong.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
Yesterday at 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal