+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Crutches or walker?  (Read 1604 times)

papalagidiver

Crutches or walker?
« on: December 12, 2011, 02:33:16 PM »
It has been 13 days since the surgery and so far things have been going great.  I do my exercises every two hours and walk 1000 steps every hour.  I have been trying to decide between the crutches and walker and I think that I prefer the walker. It seems like with the walker I can work on my stride better than with crutches.  Does it make sense? Which one is better for the "neck" protection?  What are your thoughts here?

Mark

hernanu

Re: Crutches or walker?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2011, 03:05:22 PM »
I think both are good, I found that once I got the hang of them, the crutches were better for me, but you've gotta go with what works best for you. Did they train you with the crutches?
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Woodstock Hippy

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2011, 03:39:07 PM »
If you are going to use the walker, just make sure that you keep it moving.  Don't stop and start. 
When you are walking use the walker just like you are walking with a shopping cart.
Bilateral, Dr Scott Marwin, NYU Joint Disease Hosp, 11/15/11

Cantab

• Paul
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2011, 03:46:04 PM »
I only used the walker for the first day.  After that it was crutches, the PT showed me how to walk with the cruthces just as an assist and to try and walk withn as much as a normal gait as possible.  But as woodstock said , I loved using the shopping cart.  After about 14 days I went to the supermarket and walked with the shopping cart.  It was amazing, I hardly had a limp.  The next few days I made my wife drive me to the supermarket just to walk around.  I had to make sure I ate before going though, so no "goodies" ended up in my basket.
RBHR Nov. 10, 2011.  Dr Specht Lahey Clinic, Burlington, MA

hernanu

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2011, 04:36:06 PM »
Good move, Cantab - wouldn't do to have a great gait, but pick off all the free samples.

I also loved the shopping carts at BJ's.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

mslendzion

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2011, 07:55:52 PM »
I only shop now where there is a shopping cart.  I can really move!  Having the basket is a huge bonus.  I told my husband I need one of these at home, it would be perfect if it was not for the steps.
Left BHR 1/9/12 Dr. Schmitt

papalagidiver

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2011, 09:48:08 PM »
Lots of good advice. I will head for the supermarket tomorrow to do some walking. I do well on crutches but it requires lots of concentration sine the streets are not flat in my neighborhood and I have to deal with lots of incline and bumps.  Supermarket it is.

Luanna

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2011, 09:57:58 PM »
I used a walker for the first few weeks. The hospital supplied it and it worked well except for when I was trying to walk on the streets and sidewalks of Seattle. Any little rock would cause it to stop abruptly. I liked the support it gave though. I moved from the walker to a cane (not sure when) and never had an opportunity to try using crutches.

Glad to hear that you are doing well Mark.

Luanna
RHR 8/30/2011 - Dr. Pritchett - Stryker Trident Shell /X3 Poly liner acetabular cup. BHR head.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
Yesterday at 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear