+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Some good news...  (Read 2664 times)

triathlete98

Some good news...
« on: December 13, 2011, 08:03:52 AM »
So I went to Hinsdale Orthopedics for a follow up following my dGemric MRI.  First off let me say that my experience was outstanding as far as Dr. to patient interaction.  I was seen right away and was first interviewed by the nurse, than took some xray's, then the PA came in and spent about 20 minutes just listening and asking questions regarding me, my lifestyle and my injurty history.  She then did some tests on me then said she would speak with the Dr.  Soon after, Dr. LaRue came in and first spent about 20 minutes just talking about me as an athlete etc.  He then took time to go over the MRI report word for word and show me both on the MRI and xray what was wrong with my hip.  He said that I would be a good candadite for the a new hip or a BHR proceedure.  He state that I should go with a Dr. who has done more BHR then he has since I am "a high level athlete" but in the same breath said he would suggest that I not do ironman's anymore due to higher failure rate.  However he also stated failure with the BHR is mostly do to insertion error.  With that being said he would like to bring another surgeon in the practice and the two of them would team up for the proceedure.  The second Dr., DR. Domb, was trained under Dr. Su at the new york hospitol for special surgeries.  He also gave me the name of a surgeon out of Northwestern outside of his practice...so the good  news is I can get a BHR proceedure.   So my questions are many.  I don't know if I can pay to fly to NY or to SC to see Dr. Gross.  So am I flirtingn with dissaster?

maxx6789

Re: Some good news...
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2011, 09:35:47 AM »
i, too, had gone to hinsdale orthopedics for an evaluation, saw dr. daley, but he said i was not a hip resurfacing candidate. i continued my journey (which included meeting with dr su) but i selected dr craig della valle (rush hospital, chicago); both these doctors thought i was a hip resurfacing candidate. it has turned out to be an excellent decision for me. i have posted my recovery story on this site (surgery was 9/14) and here is a short youtube video ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHMuaWayQYk.

any questions about dr su or dr della vallle, feel free to ask. good luck with your decision and, if it comes to it, your operation and recovery.
Left BHR Della Valle, Sept 14, 2011
Right BHR Della Valle, April 4, 2012

triathlete98

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2011, 10:20:04 AM »
I saw dr della valle and he said he wouldn't do the proceedure cause I had to much bone integrity.  So I am partial towards the staff at Hinsdale ortho, but not doctor daley.  I want to go with the dr who trained under dr. su, given that he can implant it as good as dr. su.

hernanu

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2011, 10:45:43 AM »
That's excellent news!

I think you want to do a little more work, just to make sure of things. There is a list of questions on the site here http://www.surfacehippy.info/questionsfordoctor.php that you want to ask the doctor. I would also get some more opinions, maybe show your XRays to some of the doctors that are listed here that will do it for free (Dr. Su, Dr. Gross, etc.).

I would personally choose someone who has done a good number of procedures and has HR as a committed part of their practice; it does seem to be a matter of skill that repetition makes the outcome better. My doctor had done over 800 by the time I was done, and was doing several per day at the time (checked with the nurses). Good luck!
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

triathlete98

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2011, 11:14:58 AM »
Unfortunately my xrays don't tell the story except for some spurs.  The dgemric MRI showed that my cartiledge is less than standard.  Good articular cartiledge is anything above 400.  Mine on the average is about 200.  In addition, having had three surgeries, the dr. mentioned that I might have some additional tearing, shearing of what is left of my articular cartiledge.  Another thing is that I have a anteversion angle of -9 so not sure if thats bad or what.  So as much as I would love to see Dr. su or dr. gross, its just not in my cards financially that I can forsee.

Aerial

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2011, 11:52:49 AM »
I fully understand that it is not possible for everyone to travel.  I am fortunate Dr. Gross is in my home state.  With that said, see if you can find more data on the surgeons you might use.  Sometimes, you can even get in touch with past patients.  There are some pretty standard questions you would want to ask of any surgeon (as was mentioned).  If your surgeon seems comfortable with the answers, go for it. 
Right hip resurfacing with Dr. Gross on 12/5/11!

Woodstock Hippy

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2011, 05:16:44 PM »
Maxx, I love your video, especially the Chariots of Fire music.

T98, this is very good news.  Your efforts are finally paying off.  Your doctor says that he wants to partner with another surgeon who has more BHR experience.  Now you have to go see that doctor, ask about his experience, see what you think of him.  Ask all the questions listed on this sight and make an informed decision.  There are still other experienced BHR doctors in your area, flying to NYC or SC should be only if you can't find someone in your area.  I live right outside the city, I've been going to Hospital for Special Surgery for six or seven year with four successful surgeries and lots of other treatments but I chose, another doctor, Dr Scott Marwin at NYU Hospital for Joint Disease for my bilateral surgery and I'm having the most successful recovery I could have imagined.  At 26 days I'm walking without a cane, aqua-jogging in the pool and I feel like I could be able to run any day now, although I won't run for five more months.
Bilateral, Dr Scott Marwin, NYU Joint Disease Hosp, 11/15/11

Jimt

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2011, 06:26:34 PM »
Woodstock,

Just curious.  Why didnt you use Dr Su?
Right bhr 12-02-2011. Dr Su

Woodstock Hippy

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2011, 07:54:23 PM »
I had an appointment to see Dr Su, but it was way off.  He also didn't take my insurance so even though I have very good out of network insurance it would have cost me quite a bit.  In the mean time I met with Dr Marwin.  I was impressed by him.  He came into the room, sat down and told me more than I could have thought to ask.  When I asked about insurance, he said it wouldn't cost me anything.  He also suggested doing both together and staying at the hospital for rehab.  I liked him and had confidence in him.  It worked out great.  This whole thing couldn't have turned out better.
Bilateral, Dr Scott Marwin, NYU Joint Disease Hosp, 11/15/11

Jimt

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2011, 08:27:44 PM »
Great news woodstock.  I was just curious. 
Right bhr 12-02-2011. Dr Su

triathlete98

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2011, 09:07:18 PM »
Maxx, I love your video, especially the Chariots of Fire music.

T98, this is very good news.  Your efforts are finally paying off.  Your doctor says that he wants to partner with another surgeon who has more BHR experience.  Now you have to go see that doctor, ask about his experience, see what you think of him.  Ask all the questions listed on this sight and make an informed decision.  There are still other experienced BHR doctors in your area, flying to NYC or SC should be only if you can't find someone in your area.  I live right outside the city, I've been going to Hospital for Special Surgery for six or seven year with four successful surgeries and lots of other treatments but I chose, another doctor, Dr Scott Marwin at NYU Hospital for Joint Disease for my bilateral surgery and I'm having the most successful recovery I could have imagined.  At 26 days I'm walking without a cane, aqua-jogging in the pool and I feel like I could be able to run any day now, although I won't run for five more months.

yeah go figure i was born in NY and gerw up in West Nyack (spelling).  I am sending my info to Dr. Su and Dr. Gross but like you did, I felt really good about the team approach they are offering.  I'll have to see what the other Dr's are saying about my case but at least I have my bad hip in the door. 

hernanu

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2011, 09:16:59 PM »
I think that's great, T98
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

triathlete98

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2011, 09:28:04 PM »
 :) :D

Woodstock Hippy

« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2011, 04:38:46 AM »