+-

Advertisements

Welcome Back

The Hip Talk Discussion Forum was hacked a few weeks back. It has taken me a long time to fix it. The only backup I could use was way back to April 2020. All members and posts up to that date are available. Anything newer has been lost. I am sorry, but that has been the only way to get things up and running again.

Author Topic: knee pain and bad hips  (Read 1546 times)

blitz373

knee pain and bad hips
« on: December 14, 2011, 11:15:27 PM »
what can anyone tell me about my knee pain in connection to my hip that needs resurfacing ? does anyone else have knee pain when walking , that is or may be connected to my hip? let me know... thanks...
« Last Edit: December 14, 2011, 11:35:59 PM by Pat Walter »

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: knee pain and bad hips
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2011, 11:38:49 PM »
Many people have both knee and back pain associated with their bad hips.  You are not walking correctly when your hip/s are deteriorated. Your body is trying to compensate and you are not in balance.  Many of the knee and back problems do resolve themselves after you have recovered from hip surgery.  It often takes quite a bit of time since it takes 6 months for a mostly healed hip and a full year for a fully healed hip.  Most people are getting around and being normal about about 6 weeks, but there is still a lot of healing going on.  Healing is a very personal thing - some people heal more quickly while others take a very long time.  There is no way to predict your recovery time.  Your body has control over your healing.  Your brain has control over your emotional outlook which helps when you are positive.

I moved your post so you can have your own topic.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

curt

• Runner with the cruddy cartilage
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2011, 11:42:36 PM »
    While its possible that the knee pain is isolated and due to its own causes, it is VERY, VERY common to have sympathetic pain caused by the hip.  As you try to compensate, avoid, etc. you change the whole structure and the stresses around the body upstream and downstream.  Many have back issues from the hip.  I had knee, calf/shin and achilles issues stemming from running with a chronic hip. 
    Interestingly, those other pains often hit harder than the hip itself (until it finally gave up completely).  As long as the knee is not compromised, it should feel fine after the hip is fixed.  I think it is one of the stronger reasons not to wait too long to fix a known bad hip.

Curt
51 yr, RHBiomet, Dr. Gross, 9/30/11
happy, hopeful, hip-full

Aerial

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2011, 02:11:10 AM »
One of the things I noticed immediately after surgery was that my foot pointed straight ahead.  As my hip got worse my foot turned outward I altered my gait (limped).  I did have pain on the outside of my knee.  I am under two weeks post op but my knee no longer hurts.  I believe my hip and knee pain were connected.
Right hip resurfacing with Dr. Gross on 12/5/11!

OtterDriver

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2011, 04:01:13 AM »
Hello Blitz!

I'm eight weeks post-op as of yesterday and have not had a single painful sensation in my right knee during that time!
During my year of bone on bone in the right hip I had plenty of pain in the right knee...figured it was suffering damage as well.  Apparently all is well!

Good luck!

Bruce

DGossack

• Adventures in Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2011, 04:24:21 AM »
The pain in my knee was sometimes worse than the pain in my hip.  When I went for x-rays they took pics of the knee as well.  The knee was fine.  It was because my hip was causing me to compensate.

I have had no knee pain for weeks now.  In fact I had totally forgotten about it.

Best wishes.

Dan
LBHR, Dr. Pritchett, 8/1/2011
fullmetalhip.wordpress.com

maxx6789

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2011, 07:56:24 AM »
The pain in my knee was sometimes worse than the pain in my hip.  When I went for x-rays they took pics of the knee as well.  The knee was fine.  It was because my hip was causing me to compensate. I have had no knee pain for weeks now.  In fact I had totally forgotten about it.

ditto for me ... pre-surgery, i walked into the doctors office complaining with 90% pain in the knee, 10% pain in the hip. xrays and evaluation showed knees fine and hips bad. post-surgery, not 1 bit of pain in the knee starting with waking up in the recovery room.

now, with all that said, each person is different. MY account does not mean that YOUR knees are fine but it does mean that it is possible to have KNEE pain as a result of bad HIPS.
Left BHR Della Valle, Sept 14, 2011
Right BHR Della Valle, April 4, 2012

Cantab

• Paul
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2011, 03:06:23 PM »
Part of my knee pain was from the IT band.  When the IT band gets inflamed it can cause pain and tightness where it connects to the knee, just on the outside of the knee.  I also had the pain and gait problems the others had, I was told by a surgeon that this was common with hip AO.  Still trying to sort out the muscle pain and stiffness from the surgery, but my right foot tracks straight now. 
RBHR Nov. 10, 2011.  Dr Specht Lahey Clinic, Burlington, MA

imgetinold

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2011, 07:11:45 PM »
I also have had severe knee pain - usually on the outside of my knee, and occasionally going down the outside of my shin.  It only appears when my hip is hurting a lot.  When the hip is "playing nice" and not hurting....the knee pain is completely absent.  I posted a similar question about a month ago!
Andy - Right Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 1/11/2012......GO BOILERS!

Recent Posts

Advertisements

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Accordion Player Pat Webmaster/Owner

Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy

Statcounter

View My Stats