+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: I have my 6 week appointment with my surgeon on Friday. What should I ask him?  (Read 2254 times)

PistolPete

What questions should I ask my surgeon when I meet him on Friday?  I want to know the cup angle, get a copy of the X-rays and any photos taken during surgery if any along with a copy of the surgery report.

I'm going to ask about recovery and when he suggests getting back to training.  What else should I ask him? He's a man of VERY FEW words.

curt

• Runner with the cruddy cartilage
       I asked my surgeon to objectively evaluate the entirety of the job:  cup angle and whether it had or might shift; how's my beauty scar?; ROM; strength (think they call that the Harris test); and most importantly any of the things that I could do to improve my recovery and any things or movements that I should specifically avoid and for how long.
      I found that 6 weeks was right at the turning point where I felt like I was doing well but worried that I wasn't doing enough.  Overall, my impression was that my expectations for improvement were higher than his but left with the piece of mind that he thought everything was OK and very much on track.
      One thing that surprised me was his insistence that I should protect myself against dislocation of the implant for up to a year (I had a posteriolateral approach), and that while I could resume unrestricted activity at 6 months, the joint would not completely heal for up to a year.  Now I'm sure that he is being ultra-conservative and doesn't want me messing up his "stats", but it did remind me that while I will be able to do lots of things soon, I may never be able to consider myself 100 percent.  'Course that's better than being at 20 percent like before. 
     Its hard not to be excited at that appointment, so make him talk to you.

Good luck, Curt
51 yr, RHBiomet, Dr. Gross, 9/30/11
happy, hopeful, hip-full

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Hi

Here is a printable list with many of the questions patients often ask:

http://www.surfacehippy.info/questionsfordoctor.php

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Aerial

I asked my surgeon to objectively evaluate the entirety of the job:  cup angle and whether it had or might shift; how's my beauty scar?; ROM; strength (think they call that the Harris test); and most importantly any of the things that I could do to improve my recovery and any things or movements that I should specifically avoid and for how long.
      I found that 6 weeks was right at the turning point where I felt like I was doing well but worried that I wasn't doing enough.  Overall, my impression was that my expectations for improvement were higher than his but left with the piece of mind that he thought everything was OK and very much on track.
      One thing that surprised me was his insistence that I should protect myself against dislocation of the implant for up to a year (I had a posteriolateral approach), and that while I could resume unrestricted activity at 6 months, the joint would not completely heal for up to a year.  Now I'm sure that he is being ultra-conservative and doesn't want me messing up his "stats", but it did remind me that while I will be able to do lots of things soon, I may never be able to consider myself 100 percent.  'Course that's better than being at 20 percent like before. 
     Its hard not to be excited at that appointment, so make him talk to you.

Good luck, Curt

Not trying to steal the thread but a question for Curt.  Did you see Dr. Gross at your six week appointment?  I have to look back but I thought my appointment was scheduled with Lee?  I kind of would like to speak directly with him able a couple things (certainly nothing against Lee as she has been fantastic).
Right hip resurfacing with Dr. Gross on 12/5/11!

hernanu

What questions should I ask my surgeon when I meet him on Friday?  I want to know the cup angle, get a copy of the X-rays and any photos taken during surgery if any along with a copy of the surgery report.

I'm going to ask about recovery and when he suggests getting back to training.  What else should I ask him? He's a man of VERY FEW words.

Knowing Dr. Snyder, I know he's quick in and out, but if you tell him you have some questions that you need answered, he sits and talks.

I got my XRays every time, they are usually mailed to you on a CD, but if you call ahead, maybe they will have them for you. Use Pat's questions, but also, you can get the cup and head size, the angle, etc. from him.

He also had me balance, watched me walk, etc. Ask him any questions, he will answer, but as you have seen, he's quick, so have the questions you want answered ready.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

tennisgirl

Hi Everyone,

I just got back from my five week check-up with Lee Webb (they had me come in a week early due to Christmas).  I had a list of questions in a book that I take to every doctor's appointment, and many questions revolved around how I was doing at this stage, what meds I could stop taking and/or resume taking (I'm going to start back with Fish Oil and Glucosamine/Chondtroitin).   I am thrilled to be released from the 90 degree restriction and that I can put on my socks and tie my own shoes without any assistance from a grabber, sock putter onner or family member!

Aerial, my appointment was with Lee Webb and she checked my gait, range of motion, and showed me how to correctly do the next stage of exercises (which are all posted on Dr. Gross' website).   She said I was a poster child for recovery, for which I am grateful.  My hip is doing very well.

As a side note, I am still plagued with non-stop bad headaches since the fourth day post-op, and have been seeing a neurologist for several weeks.  I've never been one to have this problem and I'm quite frustrated as to what is causing the headaches.  Dr. Gross didn't think the surgery has anything to do with them (he popped in at the end of my appointment today).  So I've had a CT scan that came back fine, but am going in for a MRI next week...can't take pain meds due to nausea.
R Biomet Uncemented Dr. Gross 11/9/2011

Aerial

Thanks Tennisgirl.  Good info on the 6 week appointment.  Did they take another xray? Thanks for directing me to the phase two exercises.  I like to know what is ahead.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 07:46:18 PM by Aerial »
Right hip resurfacing with Dr. Gross on 12/5/11!

curt

Took another battery of xrays (to make sure nothing has shifted) and Dr. Gross came in to talk.  He did the  ROM and other tests.  I asked him about cemented vs uncemented....got pretty animated.  Have fun.  He gets pretty excited about his "kids" (despite our age).  Congrats on a great milestone.

Curt
happy, hopeful, hip-full

Luanna

Curt,
Were you scheduled to go back in for more xrays? Or did you request them? The reason I ask is that I'm going in next Wed. for another set of xrays for both my hip implants and my back. Just want reassurance that things are ok. Main complaint is my back right now. Hip seem fine. Just curious if Dr. Gross has everyone come in at the point you are at? Normally, my surgeon has an 8 week checkup and then you come back at 1 year.

Mindi,
Sorry to hear that you are still having headaches. Hope they resolve soon.

Pete,
Hope you are ready for your appointment tomorrow. I can't think of anything useful to add to your list. Curt listed the cup angle,ROM, and restriction questions already.

Luanna
« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 10:49:57 PM by Luanna »
RHR 8/30/2011 - Dr. Pritchett - Stryker Trident Shell /X3 Poly liner acetabular cup. BHR head.

curt

Luanna, Dr. Gross does a 6 week and year appointment.  I decided to drive down for the 6 week (will probably do the one year via mail unless I have any issues).  They had me sceduled for the hip xrays.  They want to see if the cup has shifted and reverify the approximate angle.  I actually asked them to do knee xrays while I was there to see his opinion (he verified that I am old).  They didn't hesitate, so I'm sure that they will do back xrays if you request them.  I simply asked Nancy (secretary) to add them to the request.
      Lee and the whole gang were there in the office, but only Dr. Gross came in to see me.  Best of luck on your checkup.

Curt
happy, hopeful, hip-full

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat