+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Surgery scheduled for 3/14/12  (Read 14240 times)

Jbennett

Surgery scheduled for 3/14/12
« on: December 15, 2011, 09:51:09 AM »
It took almost a month after my phone consultation with Dr. Gross to actually get on the schedule and the date has gotten pushed even further back but now I'm finally scheduled for 3/14. Looks like we are going to have to make a family spring break trip out of it unfortunately. I hope there is something fun for us to do in Columbia for a couple of days beforehand.
Right Biomet Uncemented Dr. Gross 3/14/12

Aerial

Re: Surgery scheduled for 3/14/12
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2011, 10:06:29 AM »
I am from Columbia, SC.  Myrtle Beach or Hilton Head Island are fabulous that time of year and not too far from Columbia.  I am 10 days post op from surgery with Dr. Gross.  You will be pleased with the care you receive,  I have a thread in this section detailing my post-op experiences.  I wish you well.
Right hip resurfacing with Dr. Gross on 12/5/11!

hernanu

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2011, 10:18:36 AM »
Congrats! Great surgeon, a beautiful area and good weather. You'll be in pretty good shape by summer, all good.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

curt

• Runner with the cruddy cartilage
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2011, 08:45:01 PM »
    That's the hardest part of the deal, I think.  Being ready and then having to wait.  By the time I was chomping at the bit, I had to wait.  Do it now.  Hang in there, though, the reward can be awesome.

Curt
51 yr, RHBiomet, Dr. Gross, 9/30/11
happy, hopeful, hip-full

Jbennett

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2012, 06:48:17 PM »
Have all my pre op screening and testing scheduled for Thursday with my regular doctor. (I haven't been to see the doc other than the ortho for at least 5 years) Hope it all goes well so I can get on with the surgery. I think I'm pretty healthy.

Jbennett

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2012, 04:12:11 PM »
60 days to go. All my pre op testing went ok so I'm good. Pain seems worse. I wonder if it's because I know relief is so close? Got chastised by an acquaintance who is an ortho for going out of town. Telling me what a bad idea it is etc. etc. I know too many orthos I guess. 2 out of 3 either say don't do mom or don't leave town. None of them seem to like each other very much either. lol
Headed to the gym now so I don't get too fat before the surgery.

ScubaDuck

• Adventures in Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2012, 06:16:06 PM »
There seems to be an ego thing with most surgeons.  The best question to ask any of them would be "If you needed a new hip who would you go to?"

I also was very diligent about working out before surgery.  I dropped about 10 pounds and built muscle so I could recover quickly.

Dan
LHRA, Birmingham, Dr. Pritchett, 8/1/2011
RHRA, EndoTec, Dr. Pritchett, 12/6/2022
fullmetalhip.wordpress.com

newdog

• I am a Gross Hippy!
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2012, 09:34:28 PM »
Got chastised by an acquaintance who is an ortho for going out of town. Telling me what a bad idea it is etc. etc.

I wonder if other Hippys had the same experience. Not just from other docs but from family, friends or work associates. It's so ironic that they know very little to nothing about HR and yet they criticize us for traveling hours or days to go somewhere else. The orthos in my area don't seem to like each other either.
Steve, Dr. Gross bilateral, uncemented Biomet, January 10 & 12, 2011, Columbia S.C.

Jbennett

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2012, 09:59:31 PM »
Probably a lot of us have had to deal with it.My wife is finally on board though. I've had one Dr. say he "wouldn't let another one operate on his dog". Another one said "if you have complications and need to see someone locally they will be pissed they are having to deal with someone else's complications" "I would never tell a family member to travel hours for surgery" The stupidest one was "someone who does that many surgeries cares nothing about you. You are just a file". Seriously Dr.? What the heck are you basing that on? A doctor being busy and specializing in a procedure does not mean they care less about their patients than you do.Neither of these guys have actually treated me. Just acquaintances and neither one does resurfacing. The second guy ticked me off. Theres no way in hell I'm not doing it out of town after that rant. ;-)

newdog

• I am a Gross Hippy!
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2012, 11:13:50 PM »
Jbennett,

I too had many such experiences from the same kind of attitudes that you are describing. A few such comments still p me off to this day. One co-worker of mine ridiculed me when I told him I would be off work for about two months. He claimed that my surgeon was BS-ing me and no way would I return sooner than four or six months. (You know the story, his 80 year old Aunt Maude had hip surgery 25 years ago and she was never right after that.) You should have seen the look on his face when I walked in to my workplace at six weeks to visit. No cane or crutches and only a slight limp. Oh well, don't let the idiots get you down. You picked one of the best surgeons in the world and your results will be amazing.

Oh yeah, your comment about the wife being on board. Mine was very much against me going all the way to S.C. for hip surgery. It took me a while to convince her that it was the right decision. And after going along with me for my surgeries and seeing how much better our lives are with my hips fixed, she is just as enthusiastic about HR and Dr. Gross as I am. Your wife will be the same way, I'm sure.
Steve, Dr. Gross bilateral, uncemented Biomet, January 10 & 12, 2011, Columbia S.C.

Jbennett

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2012, 05:50:37 PM »
O43 days to go. Had to camp out this weekend for a spot in a desirable school for one of my kids. Today I can hardly walk. Ouch!

hernanu

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2012, 11:30:26 PM »
Time goes by fast. Just think - next year you'll be able to take your kid to the school with no OA.

Jbennett

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2012, 09:44:40 AM »
Exactly one month from today!!! I'm ready.

johnd_emd

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2012, 10:41:06 AM »
JB,

it'll be here before you know it.  Heck, I flew from Calif. to Colorado to get my surgery.  I laughed at your stories.  I got both reactions from people.  Most people though thought it was very admirable that I had done my research and found a good surgeon out-of-town to do the procedure.  There were always those who would say though, "why don't you have it done here in town".  But, after a bried explanation they understood.  Make sure you have someone to go with you to help you out.  My wife came with me, and I had Booomer on here to help too.  The bigger your support "team" the easier it will go for you.  Good luck.

Dr. Rector
Feb. 1
Rt Hip Resurfacing
Birmingham

Jbennett

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2012, 09:44:03 PM »
It's turned into a family spring break trip it looks like. I'm glad my kids don't care where we go as long as it involves a hotel and shopping. Columbia SC doesn't exactly seem like a vacation hot spot. Working hard to stay in shape before the surgery and unfortunately I think I trashed something in my back doing lat pull downs. Been trying to get it squared away before surgery. Did a round of Medrol from my family doctor that helped a lot but didn't fix it completely. This week I've been to the chiropractor and today I had acupuncture. That felt really good for a few hours after. It sucks getting old.

hernanu

« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2012, 10:02:12 PM »
Ok, I'm doing my hippy math for you. Take your age, subtract the 20 years the surgery takes off you, then subtract 5 more years since you feel like working out without pain. Take a month off due to the recuperation, and I figger you can take 25 years off your age. (Danny. You're a toddler)

lynne123

« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2012, 11:26:57 PM »
I will be thinking of you on that day.  I am from NJ but will be in Myrtle Beach for a week during that time visiting a friend.  I am so looking forward to long walks along the beach at sunrise. 

It's funny, neither my in home physical therapist or nurse had ever heard of resurfacing, as well as anyone else I spoke with before or after my surgery.  It can take some great explaining on why you would travel outside of your hometown let alone to another state or country.  Yep, my local surgeon strongly opposed my decision to MOM. Somewhere across town he is still shaking his head at me. It can get a little tiring explaining it to others sometimes.  And everyone is baffled by the short recovery time and lack of severe precautions.  Those that have had a friend or relative have a THR are sure that I am ignoring my doctors instructions and doing too much too soon.

I'm with you, getting old sucks.  I can't wait to be cleared to pick up my grandson again. I imagine that one may be awhile though, picking him up means putting him on my hip. 
Jennifer
51 years old
LBHR
Dr. Su
44mm cemented femoral head/50mm cup

ScubaDuck

• Adventures in Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2012, 12:34:33 AM »
Remember getting old may suck but the alternative is much worse!

Dan
LHRA, Birmingham, Dr. Pritchett, 8/1/2011
RHRA, EndoTec, Dr. Pritchett, 12/6/2022
fullmetalhip.wordpress.com

lynne123

« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2012, 10:08:21 AM »
LOL, good point Gossack!!   :D     
Jennifer
51 years old
LBHR
Dr. Su
44mm cemented femoral head/50mm cup

Jbennett

« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2012, 06:36:14 PM »
ok got great news this morning!!!!!!!!!!

Woke up to a text from a friend and his parents have offered me what I have been told is an absolutely INCREDIBLE vacation home in  Cashiers, NC to use for 5 days before my surgery. It's a 3 hour drive from Columbia, SC from there. this will make the fact that this is the kids spring break al little more tolerable.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal