+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Chances of my other hip needing resurfacing.  (Read 2571 times)

cassiewoofer

Chances of my other hip needing resurfacing.
« on: December 16, 2011, 08:57:40 AM »
Does anyone know what the stats are regarding eventually having to go bilat?
 I've done a few searched for statistics but found nothing.

I had my left hip done a year ago and am worried I will soon need the right one doing.... and is this more likely if I do more excercise?
 The x-rays showed no signs of cartilage thinning as far as I'm aware.

anyone?

Dannywayoflife

Re: Chances of my other hip needing resurfacing.
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2011, 09:31:45 AM »
I wouldn't have thought there are any hard and fast rules. Each person and case will be different. If there's no symptoms and no sign of cartilage thinning then I wouldn't worry.
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

hernanu

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2011, 10:02:03 AM »
I agree with Danny. There's plenty of hippys here with one HR, some of us with two. When I was diagnosed, it was clear the other hip was losing it as well, so we scheduled both - thank goodness I did.

I wouldn't worry, it may happen but if there's no sign of loss of cartilage, then you have a healthy hip and can treat it that way.

Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2011, 11:29:56 AM »
Yep totally aggree with hern. I have some very minor fai on my right side but it's no where near what I had on the left. But since I have no symptoms and the right side looks radiologically perfect I've been told not to worry about it. So unless you have some horrific fai or other condition that will mean it's going to quickly go down hill enjoy your new hip.
Others on here have described how there other hips went quickly after there first op but I can only assume that was down to a combination of cartilage damage and a new lease of activity after there first hip recovered.
Danny   
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

Anniee

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2011, 12:14:54 PM »
I had one of the hips that went down quickly after the first surgery.  However, Dr. Gross told me that both my hips looked equally bad on X-rays before my first surgery.  Because I only had pain in the right hip, the first surgery was to resurface that hip only.  Because I knew from the beginning that I would need bilateral surgery at some point, I scheduled the left hip for 6 months after the right one, even though I had no pain at the time.  It started hurting really badly about two months before the scheduled date.

My friend who referred me to Dr. Gross had her left hip resurfaced 8 years ago.  So far, no sign of any problem on the other side, and she is more active than most (running, bicycling, teaching aerobics, etc.).  I think a lot must depend on the reason you needed resurfacing in the first place. 

If you have no pain and no sign of problems in the other hip, I don't think you need to worry about babying it to prevent another surgery.  I don't know if that would even help!  If you are really concerned about it, and to get an informed opinion, discuss it with your doctor.
Annie/ Right Uncemented Biomet 4-20-11/Left Uncemented Biomet 10-12-11/Dr. Gross

FlbrkMike

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2011, 12:33:04 PM »
When I originally went to have my hips checked it was because of pain in my left hip.  When the Doctor looked at the pictures he thought that it was the right hip that was the problem because it looked worse.  About a year later, though I still had no real pain on the right side, the ROM was extremely compromised.  So I just went ahead and had both done to save time and money.

Mike
« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 12:34:19 PM by FlbrkMike »
Dr. Ball
56 years old
LBHR 2/11/11
RBHR 3/11/11

ScubaDuck

• Adventures in Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2011, 06:18:38 PM »
I have had no symptoms and the x-rays look fine for my right side.  The doctor did say he saw very early signs of OA on that side.

We'll see what really happens as I return to more activity.  I plan on living and if that includes having to get HR on the other hip, so be it.

Dan
LHRA, Birmingham, Dr. Pritchett, 8/1/2011
RHRA, EndoTec, Dr. Pritchett, 12/6/2022
fullmetalhip.wordpress.com

curt

• Runner with the cruddy cartilage
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2011, 02:05:11 PM »
    Dan, I'm with you.  Severe on my HR side, and moderate on the other.  Never had symptoms there.  He thought it would need help within two years.  I'll wait as long as I'm relatively symptom-free.  No sense doing any surgery before its time.  And thanks to experiences to be gained by the community (and those of us here) I figure the procedure and lessons learned will only get better with time.  I do miss the catheter though. ;)

Curt
51 yr, RHBiomet, Dr. Gross, 9/30/11
happy, hopeful, hip-full

Tin Soldier

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2011, 05:08:10 PM »
Pritchett told me about half of patients come for no. 2 later on. That's not real quantitative, but I guess it gives you an idea.  Although I suppose some of the bilats-to-be could have gone to another surgeon for no.2 but that seems a little unlikely. 
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

kwarendorf

• LBHR 2/13/2009
    • Kyle's Kitchen
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2011, 01:53:58 PM »
I'm coming up on 3 years since my left HR. When it was done the doc thought my right would last another 12-18 months, based on images at the time. My right hip continues to be OK. I don;t think there is any accurate predictor.

hernanu

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2011, 03:07:08 PM »
How's the hip feeling?

kwarendorf

• LBHR 2/13/2009
    • Kyle's Kitchen
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2011, 04:01:22 PM »
Both of mine feel fine :)

hernanu

« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2011, 05:17:04 PM »
Great to know how more experienced hippies are doing. Thanks and glad for you.

Jeremy76761

« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2011, 11:52:18 PM »

What about knees? I hate to say it, but, what are chances of the knees going south if the hip does?

I've been having some knee pains as well the past few months. MRI/X-ray reports saw there is no cartilage loss. Yet an orthopedic surgeon says there is some spotty loss throughout and under the knee cap. At the same time, he says no more than any other 37 years old who likes to workout. Confusing.

Honestly, I don't care as much as one might think. The solution is the same for everything; physial therapy; more low impact sports; etc etc. Whatever.

But as said above, a lot depends on what causes the hip OA in the first place. In my case, it started for unknown reasons years ago, but acted up with soft tissue injuries. With resolution of the soft tissue injuries, symptoms have almost gone away. Who knows, I might not even need a resurfacing ever. But it's sure good to know it's an option if needed.

imgetinold

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2011, 07:54:34 AM »
Jeremy,

It is possible that your knee pain is referral pain from your hips.  When I exercise and my hip hurts, I often get worse pain in my knee and shin than I do in my hip.  It always resolves when the hip pain dies down.

So, perhaps your knee pain is similar?

-Andy
Andy
- Right Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 1/11/2012
- Left Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 10/28/2020

BOILER UP!

Jeremy76761

« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2011, 08:45:25 AM »
Andy, I"m not sure. Interesting that you get shin pain as well. That's exactly what happens sometimes when doing calve extensions seated with me. In my case, it doesn't correlate with noticable hip symptoms though, but one wonders if there could be the slightest abnormalities in gait that could effect the knees, not just gross changes.

Thanks, I'm going to pay closer attention to that one. Just now my knee feels funny, but then my hip is stiff this morning too; maybe that's all it is.
(Edit) PT/OS said hip had nothing to do with it, but, hip was not stiff the day they did their evaluation.

Regarding why some people get OA in both hips not just one, there is a study at the University Health Network, several major Toronto hospitals, on just that issue. Might be a few years before anything's published, though. The OS in charge of the department doing the study says science does not know the answer yet.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2011, 08:51:10 AM by Jeremy76761 »

imgetinold

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2011, 09:17:02 AM »
The local Orthopedic surgeon I saw to get my X-ray said the same thing....that they shouldn't be related.  However, the correlation was too strong, so I posted here to see if anyone else experienced it, and only got about 100 people with similar issues.

Yours might not be related....but they might be.  Just pay attention, like you said.
Andy
- Right Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 1/11/2012
- Left Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 10/28/2020

BOILER UP!

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat