+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Guess what I got for Xmas  (Read 1334 times)

Tin Soldier

Guess what I got for Xmas
« on: December 16, 2011, 10:50:45 AM »
I know it's not even Christmas yet and my wife gave me something for Christmas.  It's not a new shiny cobalt chrome thingy, already got 2 of those.  It's the book, "Modern Hip Resurfacing" by Mr. McMinn.  She got it new at a used price, only $58 on Amazon.  She decided that because of some of the surgery photos, my son's squeamishness, my wife's squeamishness, paired with my Dad's cluelessness and overly clinical talk, it's probably best that I didn't open it on Christmas morning in front of the family.  Lets just say it's not really a coffeetable book. 

So far, at page 6, I understand most of it.  ::)  I think the sections on metallurgy, placement, history, and those sorts of topics are the most interesting.  With the actual procedure though, I have hard time understanding some of the surgery photos.  It all looks like a big gory mess.

Funny, I told my PT the other day that HR has become a hobby to me, he suggested that I keep it that way. Thanks for the vote of confidence, dude.
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

Luanna

Re: Guess what I got for Xmas
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2011, 12:00:38 PM »
Tin,
That's a great gift. If you want gore you can go on youtube and watch McMinn on multiple videos perform a complete surgery. Some of it is entertaining. He's funny. Some of it is a bit graphic but very interesting. He actually shows the femur head as he prepares it and then shows how the patient's bone flakes away and he has to change during the surgery from a BHR to a MBHR.

In the videos he is teaching a bunch of surgeons and going step by step through the process. 

Luanna
RHR 8/30/2011 - Dr. Pritchett - Stryker Trident Shell /X3 Poly liner acetabular cup. BHR head.

Tin Soldier

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2011, 02:50:01 PM »
Thanks.  I'll get around to that one of these days.  There's just too much info to keep up on all of it.
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

Aerial

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2011, 07:36:16 AM »
Sounds interesting.  I didn't look at any videos until after my surgery.  I am really glad about that too after seeing what they do.  It's amazing you can recover so quickly given what happen during surgery.
Right hip resurfacing with Dr. Gross on 12/5/11!

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2011, 03:00:53 PM »
I watched as many videos as I could find. I love the mcminn videos. There are some other great ones by Bose, Su, gross out there too. I'd love to see my surgeon do an op tho, but from what I'm told blink and you miss it! He averages around 30mins!:-0
Tin that's an awesome bargin! I've been looking for a second hand copy for ages there normally well over a hundred pounds tho!
I have a copy of a midmedtec booklet my mcminn and treacy writen it 2000 and it shows how they developed the bhr and the tests they carried out on it. They did a pendulum swing test with a 500kg weight on it! Among other failure tests.
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz