+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Had my 6 week appointment today.  (Read 2977 times)

PistolPete

Had my 6 week appointment today.
« on: December 16, 2011, 12:13:14 PM »
So, I had my 6 week appointment with my surgeon today and it was interesting.  He said everything looks perfect.  He checked my gait and said it looks great and that my strength is on par which is awesome.  My cup angle is 41 degrees which I'm not sure if it's a bit steep.  I've seen others in the mid 30's and some in the mid 40's? 

As for restrictions and expectations he said I should start training in Tai Chi as he said it is one of the best exercises for recovery.  He said I can start kicking again at 8 weeks post op so long as I'm not kicking the bag or anything.  He said slow light kicking is awesome for hip to build the strength back up.

As for BJJ he said I should prob. wait 6 months post op.  He said I could do light rolling around 3 months but absolutely NO leg attacks from anyone AT ALL.  My hopes were to compete in a grappling torn. in Oct. of 2012 and he said it's prob. too soon and that I should wait until 2013 before competing.  He agreed that 1 year is the full recovery but 6 months is when you'll have your life back but just know you have limitations.

I'm meeting with him in 8 week again so he can assess my progress.

Pete
« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 04:03:54 PM by PistolPete »

jjmclain

Re: Had me 6 week appointment today.
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2011, 12:43:04 PM »
Hi Pete,

I was told 40 degrees is perfect...anything below 50 is fine. Mine is 45, I am one year post-op and doing great. So I think with an angle of 41 you are just about perfect!!!

June

Luanna

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2011, 12:45:50 PM »
Congratulations Pete. 41 degree angle is spot on.

I love Tai Chi and will attest that it kept me out of surgery at least a year longer then if I had not been doing it. It helps with strenth, balance, as well as mental well being. You might really enjoy the sword form. I do the Yang Family style. Another great practice is Qi Quong pronounced Chee Gong. Many people warm up with it right before performing the form. Both are excellent ways to exercise with low impact. Any surgeon who recommends doing Tai Chi goes to the top of my list!! :)

Glad to hear that all is going well.
Luanna
RHR 8/30/2011 - Dr. Pritchett - Stryker Trident Shell /X3 Poly liner acetabular cup. BHR head.

Aerial

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2011, 12:48:18 PM »
Congrats on a successful appointment.  I think it is wise not to compete in 2012 before the one year mark.  I bet you will be glad to resume some of your activities.  My cup angle is 33 which seems low (might be due to my dysplasia issue though).  Anyway, best of luck!
Right hip resurfacing with Dr. Gross on 12/5/11!

hernanu

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2011, 01:12:42 PM »
Sounds great Pete! My angle is 40, so I think we are both in good shape as far as that. I was able to do slow kicks at about four months, but you've been active lately, so I would think you'll be fine. Just keep it really light.

I think he's right about the tournament. I'm at a year now, and could probably take some impact, but would rather wait the extra time to make sure it's at 100%. Excellent news.

Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Boomer

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2011, 01:38:17 PM »
Exciting news Pete! Nothing better then "perfect". Congratulations on your great recovery.

Boomer.
RBHR with Dr. Rector on 11/30/2011
LBHR with Dr. Rector on 6/11/2012

PistolPete

Re: Had my 6 week appointment today.
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2011, 04:07:40 PM »
Thanks everyone I appreciate it.  It's great when the surgeon is really happy with the progress and when he looks at the new X-Ray for the first time and says "PERFECT" that's a great feeling.  It's much better than when I met with my first orthopedic surgeon and he looked at the X-Ray and his response was "Oh my god, there's nothing I can do for you." 

Dr. Snyder confirmed what other surgeons have been saying about the 1 year recovery.  He said 6 months you can do "MOST" everything but really the 1 year mark is key.  I wanted to fight in a grappling torn. in October 2012 (My surgery was Sept. 7, 2011) and he said no-way.  He said to wait until 2013 before I start fighting.  Oh well, at least I asked...

I was nervous about the cup angle because I've read others being in the low 30's and another that was at 50 or something and he had to have a revision 2 years later so I was nervous.  Glad everything is spot-on. 

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2011, 04:54:43 PM »
I believe the bhr was designed to be implanted at 40 degrees give or take but should not be above 50 as that causes edge loading.
Sounds like you've got great news mate. It sucks that you will miss your tournament but as everyone keeps telling me the wait will be worth it in the end!
Danny
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

PistolPete

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2011, 07:34:02 PM »
I agree Danny.  I keep trying to tell myself it's a marathon not a sprint but then I want to start sprinting right away.  I want to be able to sprint a marathon.  haha

I also finally start Out-Patient PT on Monday.  My doctor was upset that the previous PT let me go so early and then told me to wait until I meet with him before starting Outpatient PT.

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2011, 07:44:18 PM »
Pete I'm pissed cos I'm 5 weeks and 1 day post op and I'm not back to normal yet! So I know what you mean!
But in the long run what doesn't kill us makes us stronger!
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

rbt2011

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2011, 08:39:56 AM »
Congrats Pete!

Sounds like a great 6 week appointment.  It doesn't get any better than "perfect".
Right side BHR 11/29/2011

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat