+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Return to Slalom Skiing?  (Read 11157 times)

sdunn4

Return to Slalom Skiing?
« on: December 18, 2011, 04:19:37 PM »
Snow skiing is out for this season, as I am not allowed on the slopes until the end of April.  I have therefore been dreaming of water skiing again next summer.  This past summer prior to my surgery I could ski just fine; it was the pain the day after that deterred me and finally led me to put away my slalom ski.  I use a competition ski with double high-wrap boots, and I would love to hear from any slalom skiers that have had their hip resurfaced and returned to the sport.  Do you still use the fixed cups?  Have you taken any falls and how did you make out if you did?

Dr. Gross told me I could return to waterskiing and barefoot skiing but I am unsure how wise some of those activites are.  Hearing from the users of this forum is a great way to get feedback!

Thanks,

Steve
52 YO Rt Hip Biomet Dr. Gross, 10/24/11

wayne-0

Re: Return to Slalom Skiing?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2011, 10:42:40 PM »
Hey Steve,
I returned to wakeboarding and wakesurfing with no problems or pain whatsoever. I am just a beginner at those sports so no flips or anything like that, but I did a fair amount of turns and so forth. I posted 3 video clips on youtube. Type in Wayne wakeboarding hip resurfacing  Wayne wakesurfing hip resurfacing

Wayne
11-7-08  Bilat/Dr.Ball/ASR

wayne-0

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2011, 10:57:04 PM »
Here is one link       http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGigKgGDcUk

Wayne
« Last Edit: December 18, 2011, 10:58:47 PM by wayne-0 »
11-7-08  Bilat/Dr.Ball/ASR

sdunn4

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2011, 11:28:16 AM »
Wayne,

Nice video!  I kept expecting to see some inverted maneuvers!  It's encouraging to see that you are back up on the wakeboard and cutting nicely- that definitely make me anxious for warm weather and glass conditions.

Thanks,

Steve

mslendzion

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2012, 10:00:18 AM »
How long after surgery did you wakeboard?  Any fears your foot or feet would get stuck in the boot after a fall and twist the hip?  This is how I injured my hip but I really want to get back on the lake?
Left BHR 1/9/12 Dr. Schmitt

sdunn4

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2012, 07:29:30 PM »
I will be reaching my 6 month milestone in a little over 2 weeks!  We really didn't get much of a winter here in upstate NY, and the water is warmer than usual.  I plan to go slalom skiing early in May- any others who have resumed slalom skiing at a little over 6 mos?  We do use drysuits due to the cold (still in the mid to upper 40's) water at the start of the season.

I have been riding my bike on the fluid trainer, using the Nordic Track ski machine, and I have been doing quite a lot of swimming, along with lifting twice per week to stay in shape.  I have recently begun using my Concept 2 Rower a couple times per week for 10 min. intervals as well, and I feel that my muscles are ready for resumption of skiing

Any feedback would be appreciated!
Thanks,

Steve

mslendzion

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2012, 09:38:47 AM »
Excellent question. I'm anxious to salom and wakeboard again. Last summer I could not ski because of the hip pain.   We are getting our boats in the water this weekend and I am feeling the need to ski  On the salom ski I'm removing the high wrap on the back boot (new hip) to avoid unnecessary twisting if I fall.

I'm thinking I might skip this summer skiing to avoid messing up my hip since wake boarding is how I caused my hip injury in the first place.

sdunn4

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2012, 04:58:33 PM »
Good point about the high wrap boots.  I have always used double high-wrap boots with my slalom ski and plan to do so this summer.  I find that I really haven't skied hard enough to fall for the past few years anyway.  We free-ski; no slalom courses.  What about barefooting?  If you did it before the resurfacing, are you going to get back at it now?

Steve

sdunn4

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2012, 12:08:40 PM »
Finally got out waterskiing yesterday to help my wife celebrate Mother's Day!  We have water temperature in the mid-50's so my son and I used drysuits for the first time out.  It's been about 6 1/2 months since my resurfacing and I was a little hesitant to attempt skiing.  It took me several tries to get up (both feet in the boots on a slalom ski); mainly because I was not using the right body mechanics.  Once I realized I just needed to relax- the hip was feeling fine- my grip was starting to die on me (cool water / not skiing for about 9 months, etc.), but I made it up on the 4th try!  I skied quite a while and didn't cut too hard back and forth across the wakes as it was my first time of the year and the first with my new parts.  I can definitely feel my muscles today!  The good news is that the hip is fine- not sore- the muscles that are hurting are my forearms and upper arms / shoulders / back.

I am really looking forward to skiing now this summer!

Steve

sdunn4

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2012, 06:53:48 PM »
Are there any other resurfacing patients out there waterskiing this summer?  How about any of you returning to barefoot skiing?

I have been slalom skiing quite a bit already this summer and I'm curious how others are doing.  Each time I ski I feel a little stronger with the hip stabilizing muscles- pretty cool!

All else is going well- rowing several times per week, swimming between 1/2 and 1 mile every other day and riding lots of hills on my Felt road bike; around 50-60 miles per week.  No running- perhaps I never will start again- I don't really miss it and it seems like a good idea to avoid the impact!

Steve

mslendzion

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2012, 06:54:54 PM »
That's awesome Steve.  I plan on starting back saloming next summer.  My ski is a double boot, I'll be replacing my back boot (left hip) with a slide in to avoid any risk falling and having my foot stuck in the boot.  Looking forward to it.  Are you double booted?

sdunn4

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2012, 08:04:04 PM »
Yes, I am skiing double booted.  The challenge is to not ski as aggressive as in the past.  When I was younger I had no fear of falling.  I am still enjoying skiing moderately hard but just not risking a bad fall.  I am on vacation next week and plan to give barefooting a try for the first time in two summers.  The first step will be skiing off the boom!

Steve

mslendzion

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2012, 10:29:48 PM »
Thats awesome.  Do you deep water start or are you dropping a ski?  Hope your water is glass.

sdunn4

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2012, 02:32:44 PM »
I learned to deepwater barefoot start in my late 20's (it was somewhat painful learning...).  We used to try sropping a ski and stepping off but the falls were incredible (as teenagers).  Once you learn the mechanics it's all body position.  With the OA on the right side my flexibility was so bad I wasn't able to properly place my feet while getting up.  I am definitely looking for glass!

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal