+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Post-op and movies?  (Read 1843 times)

Aerial

Post-op and movies?
« on: December 19, 2011, 02:05:22 PM »
I don't know if there are other fans out there of the book "The Girl with the Dragon Tatoo" but the movie version comes out this week.  I absolutely want to see it.  Has anyone gone to a movie post-op?  How far out we're you?  I think an end seat where I could stretch my leg out might be doable but it is a long time sitting.  I love the triology of books of which the movie is part!
Right hip resurfacing with Dr. Gross on 12/5/11!

Woodstock Hippy

Re: Post-op and movies?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2011, 02:57:42 PM »
Did you see the Swedish version with the sub-titles?  I tried to watch it when I was working but I was tired and couldn't get it going.  It is supposed to be a more faithful following of the book.  I loved the books.  When I started the first one I thought it was a ''girls'' book, but I soon got sucked into the world of Lisbeth and Mikael.  Some of the reviews of the new movie made me think that I won't like the movie portrayal of Lisbeth but then I remembered that she evolved as I went through the three books.  She really did start out pretty withdrawn and empty.  But she sure did know how to pay back the guy who abused her didn't she?

You can see that I really did love the books and I could keep going on but I think you will be OK in the theater.  Just do like you said and get an isle seat, near the back and you can get up and stretch if you need to.

If I was still working in NYC, I probably could get a copy from the guy on the corner already!
« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 03:09:58 PM by Woodstock Hippy »
Bilateral, Dr Scott Marwin, NYU Joint Disease Hosp, 11/15/11

hernanu

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2011, 03:09:06 PM »
Hey Aerial. I am a huge movie fan and couldn't wait to get to the theater. I went as soon as I could drive, which was three weeks.

I prepped for it by icing a lot, and made sure I took a tylenol beforehand; I sat either in the handicapped spots or in the flat area below the main seating (liked that so much I still do it). The flat area is good, since not many people sit there, so I was able to sit in the middle of the seats. I also only had a couple of stairs to handle, and I used one crutch to do it.

It got slightly uncomfortable towards the end, so I did a "theater lap" : walked up the ramp, crossed to the other side of the seats and back to my seat. The space was wide enough to navigate without problems.

Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Aerial

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2011, 04:06:12 PM »
Did you see the Swedish version with the sub-titles?  I tried to watch it when I was working but I was tired and couldn't get it going.  It is supposed to be a more faithful following of the book.  I loved the books.  When I started the first one I thought it was a ''girls'' book, but I soon got sucked into the world of Lisbeth and Mikael.  Some of the reviews of the new movie made me think that I won't like the movie portrayal of Lisbeth but then I remembered that she evolved as I went through the three books.  She really did start out pretty withdrawn and empty.  But she sure did know how to pay back the guy who abused her didn't she?

You can see that I really did love the books and I could keep going on but I think you will be OK in the theater.  Just do like you said and get an isle seat, near the back and you can get up and stretch if you need to.

If I was still working in NYC, I probably could get a copy from the guy on the corner already!

I too am a huge fan of the books.  I also tried to watch the movie with subtitles.....and gave up!!  In terms of a "girly" book, my husband thought that too.  I kept saying, give it a chance and he got sucked into the first book (only) and did like it.  I am serious when I say the books are some of the most engaging books I have read.  Unfortunately, I am afraid the movie will not live up to my expectations  :-\. I had a certain image of Lisbeth in my mind which, of course, is a little on the eccentric side.  In the TV ads, my image doesn't match completely her movie image. I picture her eccentric but meeker if that makes sense.  Anyway, hubby and I will likely do a movie date Friday.  I told him we have to get there early to figure out the seating issue!

I like the idea of handicap seating with a flat surface.  I guess if you walk in with a cane no one would give you a hard time!

PS- I listened to the third book as an audio book in the car.  Love audio books to make a long drive interesting!
« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 04:12:22 PM by Aerial »

Woodstock Hippy

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2011, 04:38:12 PM »
I just ordered the Swedish version from the library.  I want to try it again now that I'm not working.  Now I'll have plenty of time in the afternoon and I do want to see that one first. 

The reason I thought of it as a ''girls'' book was that every day on the subway I'd see at least one woman reading one of the three books.  Now I know why; Lisbeth is a superhero!
Bilateral, Dr Scott Marwin, NYU Joint Disease Hosp, 11/15/11

Kiwi

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2011, 05:17:33 PM »
I saw the first two Swedish versions on DVD - awesome. Subtitles are never a first choice of mine, but I found after 10 minutes with these movies, I never noticed.
As for sitting in the theatre itself, I'd recommend bringing you own ice pack!
LBHR 11/23/2011
56mm Head
Hugh Blackley (BHR Trained with Ronan Treacy)
Use it or lose it!

Aerial

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2011, 08:03:52 AM »
The movie was great!  Some inconsistencies from the book but still very good!  I found the books so complex and but the movie lost some of the complexity of the plot.  I read something that Columbia Pictures plans on doing all three books!  No problems sitting through the movie using handicapped seats with a lot  of leg room.  Afterward we went out to dinner.  Slept very well last night!  Feeling very much back to normal.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat