+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Post Op Day 6 and Muscle Pain Worse  (Read 3316 times)

CEK001

Post Op Day 6 and Muscle Pain Worse
« on: December 20, 2011, 07:35:50 AM »
At Day 6 post op, the good news is I have very little hip pain.  The bad news is the muscles on that leg have become so painful, I no longer can do minimal movements.  The pain is on the lower part of my thigh, right above the knee. It feels like it does after a really really hard workout.  Tender to touch, almost impossible to use.  I understand that the muscles are cut and moved around during surgery, so I'm not surprised they ache.  But I am surprised they are so much worse today.  I have been moving around, but with the pain, I wouldn't say I'm over doing it - went up and down the steps once (actually that was mostly on my butt like a toddler as the pain too severe).

I feel really stupid to be complaining about muscle pain, but it's so bad, I'm actually considering calling the doctor. 

Anyone else experience this?  Please tell me just a little more rest and ice and I'll feel better tomorrow.

Christine

curt

• Runner with the cruddy cartilage
Re: Post Op Day 6 and Muscle Pain Worse
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2011, 07:58:31 AM »
      I experienced some pain around the side and above the knee but feel it was associated with how they lean on it to dislocate the leg.  Might be wrong, but it went away after about 2 weeks.  The flexion muscles and the abductors were the last "pains" to retreat.  Hang in there.

Curt
51 yr, RHBiomet, Dr. Gross, 9/30/11
happy, hopeful, hip-full

CEK001

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2011, 08:02:32 AM »
I stumbled across this HR blog just now - http://fullmetalhip.wordpress.com/ - and it has made me feel better.  The blogger described muscle pain in the same exact spot I have about 1 week post-op.  (right side above knee - radiating upward)  I knew muscle pain is normal, but it is so intense I was worried.  And getting WORSE!  And as a (former) marathon runner, I consider my pain tolerance very high. So for pain to debilitate me to the point where I just can't get out of bed, well, that really worried me. 

I am just going to concentrate on the fact that my hip feels absolutely amazing!

So basically today I am going to rest more and apply lots of ice.  I know elevation is also part of the RICE equation, but not sure how I can elevated AND keep the 90 deg rule AND be able to get something done beside sleeping!

Anything other suggestions??

Thanks.
Christine
« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 08:04:40 AM by CEK001 »

PistolPete

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2011, 08:16:13 AM »
It could be your IT Band.  I had some pretty bad IT band soreness at the beginning and it lasted a few weeks.  It is on the outside of your knee and can be tight up your thigh as well.  It is VERY sore to the touch.  The swelling etc typically cause more stress on this so when you do more your leg will swell more putting more stress on the IT band.  This is VERY common and typically goes away.  I was nervous about mine and called my Dr. who confirmed it was normal.  Mine went away completely and knock on wood hasn't returned at all.

David

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2011, 08:32:26 AM »
Hi Christine,

I had very similar intense soreness/pain beginning on day 6 and lasting 5 days until it began to subside.  As long as you do not have weight bearing pain do not be alarmed.  I began outside pt immediately and that along with frequent ice and elevation did the trick.  Frequent walking and bicycle riding relieved my tightness as well.  You will get over that pain hump very soon.

Best...
David
RBHR Dr. Su 8/29/2011
www.jayasports.com

hernanu

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2011, 09:42:56 AM »
I stumbled across this HR blog just now - http://fullmetalhip.wordpress.com/ - and it has made me feel better.  The blogger described muscle pain in the same exact spot I have about 1 week post-op.  (right side above knee - radiating upward)  I knew muscle pain is normal, but it is so intense I was worried.  And getting WORSE!  And as a (former) marathon runner, I consider my pain tolerance very high. So for pain to debilitate me to the point where I just can't get out of bed, well, that really worried me. 

I am just going to concentrate on the fact that my hip feels absolutely amazing!

So basically today I am going to rest more and apply lots of ice.  I know elevation is also part of the RICE equation, but not sure how I can elevated AND keep the 90 deg rule AND be able to get something done beside sleeping!

Thanks.
Christine

Glad you found that, any knowledge is good, especially when it talks to what you're feeling. I think it's normal to feel that kind of soreness. I described it the same way: the way a muscle feels when I've worked it too hard and it really gives up.

I agree with Pete. A pretty common challenge is the IT band, many of us (including me) have had to deal with it, right now, just ice, elevate and rest, exercise when you can, walk when you can. The rest part was the hardest for me, but you really need it.

As far as elevation, I didn't have the 90 degree rule, but found that laying down on the couch watching TV with my leg on two pillows did it. I also have an ottoman, so stacking pillows on that and sitting up did the job as well. I don't think I broke 90 degrees in either case.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

FlbrkMike

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2011, 10:34:27 AM »
I had the same pain in the IT band after both procedures.  Seems like the first was the worst (I'm a poet and I do know it) but that's probably just because I was expecting it the second time around.  I remember describing it as feeling like somebody kicked me really hard about 10 times on the side of my thigh. 

I think it's common to a majority of hip resurfacings.  Not much you can really do about it, except ice and keep up the PT exercises, but it's probably nothing to worry about either.  I seem to recall that it cleared pretty much completely within a couple of weeks.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 10:36:00 AM by FlbrkMike »
Dr. Ball
56 years old
LBHR 2/11/11
RBHR 3/11/11

SteveT

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2011, 03:02:24 PM »

Thanks.
Christine

I'm pretty sure that blogger is a regular poster here ... DGossak, I think.  You might consider contacting him through this site.

Two4One

« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2011, 05:25:12 PM »
Hi Christine,

I'm on Day 5 recovery and have had daily muscle spasms in my hip flexors, I think, basically where the OA used to be - on top of my hips and upper thigh.  I medicate the '7' level pain spasm down to a '3-4'.  I ice, ice, ice, etc., and listen to the nurses who say it's totally normal.  It's tight right there from disuse.  I was told to try laying flat to stretch it out, do my heel toe and the other gentle in bed 3 PT exercises.  It does subside.

My R knee has had a few shooting pains too, but I chalk it up that my body is getting used to having perfect hips after 50 years of genetic malformation.  I try to do the chair sitting for 2 hours a day that they started me on in the hospital, and that feels surprisingly good on my tight bilateral hips.

This is completely normal and IMO your body is signalling you that it either wants something different from you or that you are healing nicely and may it have a rest please?  I also thinks it helps to rest to medicate pain if it's severe.  You'll get better and won't need pain meds anymore soon enough.

I hope to be right there with you when our 'growing pains' are history.
"I was inspired by the very idea of turning the wildest figments of your imagination into something real and creating a life for yourself." - Ken Ilgunas

12/11 Failed Bilateral BHR by Dr. Schmitt  3/14 Positive Metal – LTT for Nickel Allergy.   11/14 Bilat Ceramic/Titanium Revisions.

Two4One

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2011, 05:48:48 PM »
Thanks for the reminder to get into my chair, Christine, and eat my dinner.  My hip flexors are tight like a rubber band right this second.  Afterward, I'm putting in the earbuds and loosen up listening to "Your Surgery: Before, During, and After Your Surgery- 99 cent download by Stephanie Carter".

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Ddigital-music&field-keywords=before+during+and+after+your+surgery+Stephanie+R.+Carter&x=0&y=0

I love the xylophone tinkling where she intones "loosening....that's right." or something like that because she's so hypnotic that I never remember it word for word :o...I just feel better.
"I was inspired by the very idea of turning the wildest figments of your imagination into something real and creating a life for yourself." - Ken Ilgunas

12/11 Failed Bilateral BHR by Dr. Schmitt  3/14 Positive Metal – LTT for Nickel Allergy.   11/14 Bilat Ceramic/Titanium Revisions.

Two4One

« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2011, 04:41:39 PM »
Day 6, searing level 10 pain, cursing and screaming at 3:40pm Xmas.  I'm only able to write you after taking my pain med then...No question in my mind I got behind in my pain :'( med.

You poor thing, Christine.  This crap can HURT. :-[  I'm embarrassed because I posted from an earlier place of '7-8'.

I went 4 hr 40mins between pain meds, and the topical burning is right along my scar. My quads, IT Band are also involved.  I'm same day Bilateral, with a 2yr Dilaudid plus 100mg Fentanyl Patch history pre op, for undiagnosed, bone on bone OA.  Now, it's just Dilaudid, Thank God.

Mr. Pain told me I can only go 4 hours between doses right now.  I personally believe until the surgeons have their own hips resurfaced they really can't know.  I believe in my tough old coot of an Anesthesiologist/Pain Management Doctor, because he was the only one who believed in me.  Good Luck.

hernanu

« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2011, 05:30:23 PM »
Sorry to hear that, how are you feeling now?
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Two4One

« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2011, 09:46:25 PM »
Hernanu - it's better now, thank you.  It took awhile.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
Yesterday at 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear