+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: post op vibration/friction  (Read 2040 times)

dj

post op vibration/friction
« on: December 20, 2011, 03:03:06 PM »
I'm 35.  Had 1 bhr 15 months ago, the other just 2.5 weeks ago.  The 1st new hip, yesterday I started having definate friction/rubbing feeling from the hip.  It almost has a sensation of 'vibration' thru the steps from that hip.  Up until yesterday, I have had absolutely no issues with the hip.  I had a follow up just a few days ago for the newest hip, and was advised all looked well.  I've been on crutches because of the newest hip, and walked a couple days on 1 crutch, then a day or so with a cane when the 15 month old resurfaced hip started giving me this sensation of definate friction. No crackles, pops, or audible noises thus far, just for sure vibration/noteable friction. I am awaiting call back from my surgeon now.  Should I be alarmed?  I am a little concerned, and somewhate reluctant to walk on it until I hear back from the doc. 

hernanu

Re: post op vibration/friction
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2011, 03:16:53 PM »
Hey dj, not a medical person here, but seems like you are now placing a lot more stress on that hip temporarily, since you're migrating from crutches to a one crutch to a cane.

I'd definitely get in touch with the doctor (like you're doing), but it could be different type of stress on the hip now (I know I still get clunking periodically), or dehydration which is messing with your Synovial fluid (that lubricates our hips). Maybe some of your smaller stabilizers are still in need of strengthening...

Have you tried going back to crutches or even one crutch to see if that eliminates it? Maybe a combination of things (recuperation, extra weight on that side, dehydration, etc.) are causing something temporary. Good luck and welcome to the site.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 03:18:22 PM by hernanu »
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

dj

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2011, 03:28:46 PM »
I have today went back to both crutches, lightening up the load on the 'good' hip.  It is still there, but not as much. Steps without both crutches, then the more the noteable friction.  I have been putting the load on that side while recovering from this newest bhr.  I hope you are right, and it may be temporary, hoping things straighten up as I begin to walk more evenly as I recover.  Waiting to see what the doc says.  Hopefully no big deal if the x-rays really look that good and no associated pain.  Thanx for the welcome.

ScubaDuck

• Adventures in Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2011, 07:47:22 PM »
Disclaimer:  I am not a doctor.

I believe that the friction that you feel is not in the joint itself.  More likely this is caused by muscles rubbing over the joint.  This is probably due to the change in your gait and posture as you rehab your newest new hip as Hernanu states.

These are highly polished surfaces.  So unless a tiny piece of bone or something hard got in that very, very narrow space.

Definitely followup with your surgeon but I wouldn't worry too much.

Best wishes.

Dan 
LHRA, Birmingham, Dr. Pritchett, 8/1/2011
RHRA, EndoTec, Dr. Pritchett, 12/6/2022
fullmetalhip.wordpress.com

dj

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2011, 07:43:44 AM »
I did finally speak to my doctor by phone. He assured me the x rays I had done just days ago looked good. He said even at 15 mos post op, these muscles around the hip could be much stronger than they are.  He said there is likely much shifting and movement of the surfaces at this time frame, until I build the muscles up good around the hip.  Told me to start doing hip muscle strengthening exercises, use both crutches for a few more days to another week or so while I recover from the most recent hip to reduce unwanted stress on the first one.  This friction feeling should dissapate as I get the muscles stronger and I begin to walk more evenly recovering from the newest hip.  Not to worry too much about it if no pain that side and we will give it a strong evaluation at my next appointment for the newest hip in March.  If I begin to have pain that side....that may be different, but all looked good, just get stronger, reduce stress on it for now. Thanks for your input, you have many points as the doc did.  Very interesting site. -dj

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
Today at 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
Yesterday at 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear