+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: My New Hip - BHR by Dr. Pritchett  (Read 13336 times)

Baby Barista

My New Hip - BHR by Dr. Pritchett
« on: December 23, 2011, 06:38:34 PM »
Today I'm exactly one month out from left hip resurfacing with Dr. Pritchett. Results of an MRI just revealed a bulging disc that is causing sciatica on my right side. Lots of ice, stretching and continued core work are planned between now and January 23rd.

As others on here have written, I'm in a phase right now where my left hip isn't that bothersome. My ROM is horrible, but it's been that way for years. I have both mild dysplasia and pretty severe impingement. While I don't want to give myself false hopes, I think there is a good chance (once fully healed) my hip will be more functional than it has ever been.

Still, as the date moves closer, I find myself over analyzing my decision to have surgery and growing anxious. At 37, I feel a bit betrayed by my genetics... something I think a lot of us younger BHR patients have in common.

I want to say thank you to everyone past, present and future who contributes to this forum and to the doctors contributing to the science of joint replacement orthopedics. All of you have been immeasurably helpful in making what is arguably the biggest decision of my life.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 04:13:22 PM by Baby Barista »
LBHR Pritchett 01/23/12 - 52mm head, 58mm cup
RBHR Pritchett 12/10/12 - 52mm head, 58mm cup

Dannywayoflife

Re: My new hip
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2011, 06:48:41 PM »
Mate I know exactly how you feel. I'm even younger than you are by nearly a decade! But arthritis came and I could do one of 2 things, either grin and bear it and let it rule my life for years to come as it already was or take control and get put back to normal so that I could get my life back.
It's a huge decision but you have to live for the here and now.
Im not particularly worried about the longevity of hip resurfacing. If there well placed by the surgeon then I wouldn't dwel on that too much! (although it's difficult not to! I do it somedays!).
From what other patients from here have said your surgeon has a great rep. So just trust in his abilities.
Danny
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

Luanna

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2011, 08:28:21 PM »
Hi Baby Barista,
I just found out today from an MRI that I too have a compressed and bulging disc. Dr. Pritchett sent me in today for the MRI. It is slowing my progress a bit - but the plan is to build my core and make sure that I do everything I can to support my old back and my new hip. It's great that you are doing some pre surgery exercises to start that process. I found out 4 months after surgery about my back but I'm confident that it will sort itself out.

I'm so excited for you. I had the same sort of pre surgery self-questioning but I'm so glad I did it. My back is giving me trouble but the hip is GREAT!  Hang in there.

Happy holidays to you.
Luanna
RHR 8/30/2011 - Dr. Pritchett - Stryker Trident Shell /X3 Poly liner acetabular cup. BHR head.

PistolPete

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2011, 09:06:19 PM »
You will do great.  I'm in the same boat as you as I'm 35 and feel let down by my genetics as well.  That being said I'm 6 weeks post op and already it was the best decision I've made.  No more pain and my range of motion is getting better by the day.  My strength is way off but I'm getting there.  You will do great esp. being young you will bounce back quickly.

Baby Barista

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2012, 07:32:28 PM »
I was given the OK today to visit a chiropractor to help along my sciatica. Did many of you out there require any chiropractic care before your surgery... just curious?

Boomer

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2012, 09:17:47 PM »
I visited a Chiro once a week for three months prior to surgery and thought I would return after surgery for more work. However, I quickly discovered that chiro's are not really allowed to do the kind of PT recommended after a hip resurfacing or replacement. I am going to outpatient PT. I suggest that you be very careful about seeing a Chiro at this time. They can do a lot of harm without realizing it.

Boomer
RBHR with Dr. Rector on 11/30/2011
LBHR with Dr. Rector on 6/11/2012

PistolPete

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2012, 09:40:34 PM »
I agree with Boomer.  I would stay away from a Chiro at all costs.  i can see that causing more harm than good.  Contact your surgeon and see what he says.

Luanna

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2012, 10:21:41 PM »
Dr. Pritchett recommends using both chiropractors and accupunture folks. Turns out my MRI came back normal after the radiologist read it so my back pain seems to be coming from tight IT Band, muscle weakness, and a bit of a leg length difference. Not a bulging disc as we thought at first.

I had my first chiro session today (for my back) and they use a Pulsar machine to do the work and do not use manual techniques with me. It worked before so I have every reason to believe that it will work again. Problem is - it works for a while but you have to keep going back.

Good to see you posting Baby Barista. Your surgery will be here before you know it.

Luanna
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 10:24:55 PM by Luanna »
RHR 8/30/2011 - Dr. Pritchett - Stryker Trident Shell /X3 Poly liner acetabular cup. BHR head.

Baby Barista

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2012, 10:50:10 PM »
I should have been more clear, my surgeon has given the OK for chiropractic treatment. Reason being, my left side is getting the BHR and my sciatica (caused by a bulging disc seen on MRI) is on the right side. This could be very problematic post surgery. I have intermittently used chiropractors for the last couple decades to help in treatment of low back pain and they have been very helpful. Hopefully functioning hips will alleviate the posture problems that have led to the disc problem.

Baby Barista

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2012, 11:14:46 PM »
Went to the chiropractor. As he was doing some table manipulations to gauge my ROM, he told me I had some of the tightest quads and hip flexors he'd ever. No sh!t? Maybe it's 'cause my hip joints are bone on bone?!?!

He was actually very cool and understanding. It was a successful visit and I have already felt some relief. I'm going to see him twice a week for the next two weeks until surgery.

Closer creeps the hour...

hernanu

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2012, 09:44:18 AM »
I think whatever works is fine, baby barista, just check with your surgeon, and don't do anything to challenge the healing that's going to happen.

I think you'll see a lot of improvement from the improvement in posture, gait, etc. and that will help, but if after the healing is done, more is needed from chiropractors or acupuncture, why not?
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

WTW15

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2012, 04:35:52 PM »
Getting pre-op accupuncture and scheduling my post-op too.  My gal is one of the best in Boulder, works with athletes and understands both the athletic state of mind as well as big major surgeries and how to provide the best treatment.  I am so looking forward to my appointment tomorrow for some relief now that I am under 2 wks till surgery.  It can't come soon enough. 
Successful LBHR 1/19/12 Dr. Cynthia Kelly
Fear causes Hesitation and Hesitation causes your worst Fears to come true

Baby Barista

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2012, 11:43:39 PM »
Finished my final chiropractic treatment before surgery Monday. I can say that it my case, it was a very wise decision. My sciatica has greatly improved and I feel a lot more mobility in my lumbar spine.

Now it's on to the arthritic hip...

Baby Barista

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2012, 09:29:44 PM »
Last supper before surgery, but nothing really sounds good. I think maybe it's the nerves really kicking in. But there's no looking back for me. Since I've been off the Celebrex for a week, my hip has been reminding me why I'm having this done. Early wakeup call of 4:30am... and surgery at Swedish Orthopedic at 7:40. See you all on the other side!

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2012, 09:37:18 PM »
Good luck mate you'll be fine. You'll soon be on the road to recovery and be able to get your life back
Danny
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

mslendzion

« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2012, 09:45:59 PM »
Best wishes and no worries.
Left BHR 1/9/12 Dr. Schmitt

Luanna

« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2012, 10:21:04 PM »
You'll do GREAT! I had to check in at 5:30am for a 7:40am surgery too. By the time you get to the operating room you'll be happy as a clam at high tide. Relaxed and ready for your new hip! It will be over before you know it and you'll be on your way to having a new lease on life.

Sending positive thoughts your direction....

Luanna

imgetinold

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2012, 01:01:12 PM »
Good luck!  Early surgery is the best, because you get a little longer time in the hospital to recover.  Check back in...tell us how you feel.
Andy
- Right Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 1/11/2012
- Left Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 10/28/2020

BOILER UP!

hernanu

« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2012, 01:47:29 PM »
Good luck! Hope everything goes well and we hear from you soon
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Baby Barista

« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2012, 02:15:09 PM »
Laying here in recovery, enjoying ice chips. Surgery was like laying down for nap... woke up and it was all done. Still waiting for feeling to come back. Since my brain is still coasted in happy gravy. I will provide a more thorough update later : )

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
Today at 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
Yesterday at 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM