+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Popping in Hip  (Read 5954 times)

Memphis Rob

Popping in Hip
« on: December 24, 2011, 11:17:23 AM »
Hello Everyone,
I am currently 8 days out of surgery, (12/16/11). Since my first attempt at walking, I have had, what I describe as popping in my hip. I have yet to ask my physician about it, in the hopes that it will subside before my first post-op appt. I have yet to start workin g with my PT but because they are friends, I asked them if this was common. My BHR will be their first experience so they do really no if it is common. Therefore, I come to my new family. On each stride, I have a distinctive three pops. It is my goal to get lots of excercise but this fatigues and irritates my hip. I am a former athlete so i am used to fighting through discomfort so this has prevented me from calling my physician. I guess you could call it machismo or toughing it out. Long story short, Have you experienced any popping in your new joint and how long should i expect that it will be present?
I am eager to read your responses,

Memphis Rob

Dannywayoflife

Re: Popping in Hip
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2011, 11:23:01 AM »
It sounds like what's called "clunking" it's very normal and is the supporting structures not being tight enough to hold everything in place it will pass soon mate.
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

Memphis Rob

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2011, 11:29:29 AM »
Thanks Danny, I needed that. I hope the other replies will ease my fears as well

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2011, 11:32:47 AM »
I found it a really weird sensation not painful but uncomfortable. I got a popping sensation today in the pool with some of the exercises I was doing and I'm 6 weeks and 2 days post op.
Danny
Train hard fight easy
60mm cup 54mm head
;)

Jimt

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2011, 11:36:42 AM »
Dr Su told me the same thing Danny wrote.   It should pass.
Right bhr 12-02-2011. Dr Su

hernanu

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2011, 12:52:14 PM »
It's a very common thing, comes from the weakness of the stabilizing muscles on your hip. As you get stronger, and they stabilize it grows much less frequent and eventually goes away. I still have the occasional pop at one year plus.

Still, if anything bugs you, talk to the doctor; we'll gladly help, but theres a lot of tough folks here that have nooo problem calling the doctor.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

OtterDriver

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2011, 03:23:28 PM »
Hello Everyone!

Merry Christmas Eve! 

Thought I'd get in on this one as I'm now about nine and a half weeks into getting to know my BHR and have noticed the popping, clunking, clicking (or whatever it is) MORE frequently during the last few days.  Most recently just standing at the kitchen sink with weight shifting as I leaned forward and back to operate the faucet.  I've heard the "shifting tendon" theory as well...does that cause a distinct, but not painful, movement sensation?  Any of your helpful personal observations would be appreciated!

Thanks, Bruce

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2011, 03:32:23 PM »
Bruce I think I know the movement sensation your describing. It's a weird thing and hard to describe but I'm told it's nothing to worry about.
Danny
Train hard fight easy
60mm cup 54mm head
;)

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2011, 09:19:42 AM »
I've noticed a knock today it's defiantly something that's catching and then releasing. I think it's defiantly because I'm trying as much as possible to push myself and walk and move more. My surgeon said I should try and move as much as possible. I think it will take several months for all the structures to recover and get used to everything. 
Train hard fight easy
60mm cup 54mm head
;)

OtterDriver

« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2011, 05:48:58 PM »
Thanks Danny!

Walking is not an issue at all for me...just have noticed it much more frequently in the last few days while maneuvering around the house doing normal stuff!  No pain, just unsettling.  I'll be seeing the Physical Therapist again 12/28.  We'll see what her thoughts are.  She's BHR savvy!

Happy New Year!

Bruce

Dan L

• LBHR Dr Brooks, 10/2011; RBHR 2/2012
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2011, 07:51:48 AM »
As everyone else has noted is normal and it does decrease; now almost 12 weeks post op and it is increasingly rare for me (and was not very frequent to begin with).  Disconcerting the first time you feel it for sure, but the Hippians here allayed my fears in short order (these folks are fantastic).

Keep the faith, it'll all better over time for most people.

Dan
LBHR Dr Brooks, 10/2011; RBHR 2/2012

Jbennett

« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2011, 10:34:59 PM »
In Memphis I take it? Did you do your surgery locally?
Right Biomet Uncemented Dr. Gross 3/14/12

Tin Soldier

« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2011, 07:06:46 PM »
I still get the clunk once in awhile, mostly when shifting wait.  I've gotten used to it.
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

OtterDriver

« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2011, 08:16:54 PM »
Hello Memphis Rob!

Hope I didn't hijack your thread!?  The reason I got in on it was because my clunking, snapping, clicking or clacking seemed to be INCREASING when I posted on the 24th!  Turns out I apparently "rotated my sacrum" a little bit and that's what is causing my sensation(s) that emanates from my right (operated) hip.  My physical therapist worked on me for awhile and it has mostly disappeared!

I'm not saying that's what you are experiencing necessarily, just that there can be more than one cause.

Sorry if I stepped on your toes!  Have a Happy New Year!

Bruce

Memphis Rob

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2012, 10:14:50 PM »
Hey everyone. As you all informed me it would, the popping has decreased significantly. My PT says that I am making great strides. I am using a cane 75% of the time and walking without assistence the other 25. My major concern to date is the Fred G Sanford wobble that I have. My PT says its attributed to the weak muscles that need to be rebuilt. My new question to all of you is how soon can I reasonably expect to be wobbleless?

ScubaDuck

• Adventures in Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2012, 11:34:10 PM »
I would say it was about five weeks for me.  It got progressively better so it is hard to say exactly.  Then the limp will slowly get better.  It is amazing how weak some of the small muscles around the hip are months after surgery.  I have been working diligently to strengthen those.

Best wishes.

Dan
LHRA, Birmingham, Dr. Pritchett, 8/1/2011
RHRA, EndoTec, Dr. Pritchett, 12/6/2022
fullmetalhip.wordpress.com

Kiwi

« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2012, 02:16:45 AM »
I ditched my walking aids after 4 weeks & was a bit wobbly to start with but each day got better. I still work hard on my gait and it's pretty good now at 7 weeks. Listen to your body & take it easy... it's early days mate.
Also had clicking which started about the same time as you. I too was concerned, but as the folk here said it is very common - search "clunking" on this site & you'll see several threads on the topic. I still get it from time to time with certain movements, but the hip capsule is getting stronger.
My advice - get in the pool as soon as you're cleared to - usually this is when the incision is scab free. But consult your doc.
Cherz
Kiwi
LBHR 11/23/2011
56mm Head
Hugh Blackley (BHR Trained with Ronan Treacy)
Use it or lose it!

Memphis Rob

« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2012, 10:45:12 PM »
Hello again. the clunking is gone. my limp is only present when my pt works me til exhaustion. i am totaly happy with my progress. This is amazing. My only problem is that I now have bee diagnosed with advanced athritis in my opposite knee due to the favoring over the years. doc said he is going to try and get a couple more years out of my existing knee. It bites to be 40 with a new hip and in need of a new knee.

Thanks for your support

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2012, 11:00:50 PM »
Iron congrats on your great progress! Im sorry your knee isn't great tho hope that you can resolve that too.
Train hard fight easy
60mm cup 54mm head
;)

hernanu

« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2012, 09:36:31 AM »
Glad that things are going well with your hip, Rob.

I know someone who I work with who got a knee resurfacing. He actually recovered pretty quickly, and is doing fine now. I have NO knowledge about this, was just comparing notes (no, we didn't do the macho thing and compare incision scars --- but I would have crushed him) and he seemed pretty happy with it.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal