+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Looking for a little help  (Read 2836 times)

Nemesis

Looking for a little help
« on: December 24, 2011, 10:56:38 PM »
I had my hip resurfacing on 06/06/11.  My recovery has been great.  I can work out my legs with high reps.  I have great musculature except for the dent in my rear from the incision.  My other was killing me before but know that has subsided since my training has been very easy on it.

My health is great. I am 42.  My cardio is great even though I have not run more than a .75 of a mile in 18 years.

Now I have an endeavor I want to undertake that would require me to run 1.5 miles in 15 minutes to be admitted as one of the qualifiers.  I would then have to work up to 6 miles at a "fast" pace.

I have access to the best treadmills, elliptical, bikes, reverse escalators, machines and weights.  I can work out at any time.  My diet control is excellent.  My supplement regimen could not be better.

Now can someone please provide me with suggestions or point me in the direction of getting a regimen worked out to meet my goals while minimizing the pounding on my hips.

Arrojo

Re: Looking for a little help
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2011, 03:46:52 PM »
Hi,

A 6-miler at a fast pace is basically a 10K.  Hal Higdon has great training programs for 10k, half marathon and marathons.

Here is a good training program when you are ready:

http://www.halhigdon.com/10ktraining/10knovice.htm

As for a 1.5 miler at 15 minutes, can you run a mile without stopping now?  If not, how about a half mile?  a quarter mile?  You need to start somewhere.  Good luck

Dr. Su
4/9/12
Dr. Su
RBHR 4/9/12

Nemesis

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2011, 01:12:07 AM »
To be honest I know I have the cardio to jog the 1.5 as I have good cardio even thou I don't run. Frankly I am afraid to run or should I say afraid to hurt my operated and non-operated hip. I base my assumption that I can jog the 1.5 mile as I can do 63 flights of stairs in 15 minutes or do the row machine at the highest setting for 20 minutes without a real sweat.

My concern is I am looking for a training program or suggestion that will cause the least wear on my hips. For example I am an ex-powerlifter.  I know I can bench 315lb even though I haven't done it in years based on other exercises I can do with ease. BUT I would take at least 3 weeks of prep work before i made an attempt to insure I did not get injured.

imgetinold

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2011, 08:59:05 AM »
I assume that you are cleared for running by your doctor.  In terms of running that causes less wear, the only thing I know of is to stick to soft surfaces.....trails, grass, and maybe even a high-school track with the rubber surface.  Also, hills (up and down) increase the amount of impact on the hips.  But, running is an impact sport and there's no way to avoid that.

Anyone else have running technique-based suggestions to minimize pounding?
Andy
- Right Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 1/11/2012
- Left Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 10/28/2020

BOILER UP!

Nemesis

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2012, 12:28:08 AM »
Well to increase my cardio I am doing stairs At a fast pace. My best so far is 92 flights in 20 minutes.  This is full lung capacity, thigh muscles burning, heart rate past 170bpm. Only very slight joint soreness in operated hip afterwards. Going to work hard on this before I start running when the weather is warmer. Hopefully the cardio will carry over.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat