+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Anti Coagulant Confusion  (Read 2318 times)

Two4One

Anti Coagulant Confusion
« on: December 25, 2011, 12:03:21 PM »
I'm having tons of confusion from my anti coagulant medication that you take once a day after your resurfacing surgery.  Since I am only having the ONE side effect out of a long, more serious list of side effects, and only have to take it for 5 more days, I've decided to take the attitude of "What, me worry?" :P 

Hubs asks me stuff that was literally 3 minutes ago, and my answer is "I don't know."or  "Let me look it up in my 'Recovery Diary'." Lol  I'm soooo forgetful, but sound like I know what I'm talking about. ;)  I'm oriented person, place, and time, but most definitely relying heavily on my journal brain.

Hubs also said I'm "agitated easily", but I just read him Luanna's post about canning the teasing and becoming 'Mr. Mary Sunshine'. ;D  He said "Let me talk to her husband".  Man, he's quick on his feet, that one.

Would you mind sharing with me your anticoagulant space cadet stories, please?

Everybody, this is no big deal, right?

"I was inspired by the very idea of turning the wildest figments of your imagination into something real and creating a life for yourself." - Ken Ilgunas

12/11 Failed Bilateral BHR by Dr. Schmitt  3/14 Positive Metal – LTT for Nickel Allergy.   11/14 Bilat Ceramic/Titanium Revisions.

Luanna

Re: Anti Coagulant Confusion
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2011, 01:40:39 PM »
Good day to you. As far as anticoagulants, my surgeron had me take 1 aspirin for 14 days after surgery. It seemed to work just fine. Other surgeons have different protocols and use different medications. I was thrilled to find out that I didn't have to give myself shots.

My hubby's advice to your hubby is "Go with the flow, be extra, extra, extra nice and attentive, serve gourmet food treats such as (plain yogurt with fresh berries mixed into it and sweetened with cinnamon stevia drops) , and don't react to any mood swings from the recovering spouse". Good advice I think.  :)

Luanna

RHR 8/30/2011 - Dr. Pritchett - Stryker Trident Shell /X3 Poly liner acetabular cup. BHR head.

Two4One

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2011, 02:40:07 PM »
Lol, Luanna. 

Thanks for sharing your anticoagulant protocol.  I tell myself I'm the female version of Braveheart, but it doesn't hurt, really.  Aspirin sounds nice.  I will also ask the visiting RN on Tuesday.

Hubs says "I know she's ghost writing:)".  For Reals.
"I was inspired by the very idea of turning the wildest figments of your imagination into something real and creating a life for yourself." - Ken Ilgunas

12/11 Failed Bilateral BHR by Dr. Schmitt  3/14 Positive Metal – LTT for Nickel Allergy.   11/14 Bilat Ceramic/Titanium Revisions.

Two4One

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2011, 07:12:02 PM »
Thanks for the tips, Luanna; they are really helping.

Today is Day One w/ Aspirin instead of that damn blood thinner, Arixtra, brand new on the market.  Increased leg pain is also a side effect that was making my pain spiral.  On Aspirin, I have been relaxed  and enjoying my recovery.  Hubs and I pushed the 'Reset Button', and we are chilled out and working together as a team again.  It's so much more peaceful now.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2011, 07:13:07 PM by Two4One »

hernanu

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2011, 08:28:53 PM »
That is great. I only had aspirin throughout, so was not challenged by the things you've run into. Good luck for the team.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Luanna

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2011, 09:48:22 PM »
Excellent. That must mean that you've been served some really tasty gourmet treats!!!  ;)

We hit the RESET button a few times during this first 4 months of my recovery...but not very often. 

Luanna
RHR 8/30/2011 - Dr. Pritchett - Stryker Trident Shell /X3 Poly liner acetabular cup. BHR head.

Dan L

• LBHR Dr Brooks, 10/2011; RBHR 2/2012
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2011, 07:44:22 AM »
I was prescribed one 325 mg aspirin, 2x per day for first 30 days following surgery, that plus the pneumatic stockings and pump (14 days  post op) seem to redcuce the risk for clotting to a very low number.

Thanks
LBHR Dr Brooks, 10/2011; RBHR 2/2012

Two4One

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2011, 09:14:52 AM »
Thanks, Dan!

I'm taking one 325mg Aspirin daily, and still wearing the tight hose up to my knee.  I'm also drinking lots of water, so I'm getting up and moving around a LOT. 

Today, Day 8 post op, is my walking extravaganza.  While I've been faithful with 2 hrs daily chair time and PT, I haven't walked as much as I think I should.  Here in Michiana, it's a Winter Wonderland this morning.  Have a nice Day. 

Dan L

• LBHR Dr Brooks, 10/2011; RBHR 2/2012
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2011, 10:07:54 AM »
Ahh, you missed the "fun" with the device that pumps up air bladders wrapped around your lower legs for a couple weeks, that was the worst part of the recovery for me; very noisy, hairy to keep on all the time, (particularly when going up/down stairs) and sleep-killers.  I thought I would just have the orthopedic hose you describe, but Dr. Brooks' protocol requires those other things, which given I had no clots (and were almost 10 weeks ago!!) I'm now OK with (being a fading memory).

We also had to do frequent ankle and glut flexes 3x per day, which I'm told also helps with the clot issue. Someone here also recommended taking aspirin whenever they fly, in the future, for 2 days prior and 2 days after, which I plan to follow as well (better safe than sorry...).

Michiana, eh?  I'm a MI native who has lived here in NE Ohio for now almost 50 years and still call myself a Michigander.  No snow to speak of here yet.

Best regards, you seem to be a new person, great to hear after all you've been through.

Dan
LBHR Dr Brooks, 10/2011; RBHR 2/2012

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat