+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: I think I'm going to buy a road bike in the Spring  (Read 4190 times)

PistolPete

I think I'm going to buy a road bike in the Spring
« on: December 25, 2011, 09:03:16 PM »
I had purchased a Specialized Allez 2 years ago when all pain started and sold it last spring to fund the opening of my Martial Arts school and because I couldn't ride the bike because I couldn't lift my leg high enough to get on the bike.  I would have to almost lay the bike on the ground to get on it.  Now that I'm 7 weeks post-op and knowing that cycling is prob. the best exercise post-op I think I will buy another bike for the spring with the goal of putting a ton of miles on it this year.  It's going to be great getting this body back in tip top shape.

Luanna

Re: I think I'm going to buy a road bike in the Spring
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2011, 09:10:35 PM »
Great idea Pete. Sounds like a really good plan. 

Luanna
RHR 8/30/2011 - Dr. Pritchett - Stryker Trident Shell /X3 Poly liner acetabular cup. BHR head.

Aerial

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2011, 09:27:52 PM »
I am really looking forward to getting back on my bike too.  Be cautious riding outdoors for the first 6 months when you are more susceptible to fracture (stay upright, no falls)!
Right hip resurfacing with Dr. Gross on 12/5/11!

wayne-0

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2011, 10:39:46 PM »
Hey PistolPete,  When you get back on your bike again you're gonna feel like your 18 yrs old again. At least mentally. It will feel so good to do something that you have loved to do but gave it up cause physically it hurt to much to continue. Trust me I have been doing so many things I gave up yrs ago that I feel like a kis again. Have fun with it.

Wayne
11-7-08  Bilat/Dr.Ball/ASR

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2011, 04:44:30 AM »
Yeah I think I'm going to use a road bike when I am able to train again. But the piece of kit I'm really looking to to be a staple part of my phys regime is going to be the concept 2 rower!
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

sdunn4

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2011, 08:46:22 AM »
Danny,

I know what you mean!  I love riding my Felt S2 triathlon bike on the roads- we live in a fairly mountainous region in upstate NY and the rides are always challenging with the reward being a fast downhill segment.  However, I also usually put between 1 and 2 million meters on my C2 Rower each year.  The advantage of the rower is that you can always squeeze in a workout if the weather is poor.  This piece of equipment works the entire body! 

My surgeon recommended that I hold off until 6 months with  getting back on the rower due to the repetitive forces encountered on each pulling motion and the extreme flexion that you may have as you let the handle out.  I had already used the rower a few times when I thought to ask about using it....  Some other surgeons don't have restrictions on using the C2 but I know Dr. Gross is somewhat conservative and I will follow his instructions- I am at week #9 today.

In the meantime, I am using my bike mounted on a fluid trainer and my old Nordic Track ski exerciser, both of which seem to be plenty of exercise as I return to fitness after the operation.  I am working with the weights as well, making sure to avoid hoisting anything over 50 # for the first 6 months.  Triceps push-downs, bench press, dips, chin-ups, incline bench seated dumbell curls- all of these can be done without stressing my hip.

Good luck in the continued recovery!
52 YO Rt Hip Biomet Dr. Gross, 10/24/11

Woodstock Hippy

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2011, 11:18:06 AM »
As the happy owner of five high end bicycles, one tri, two road, and two 29er mountain bikes, I think that you absolutely should get yourself a new road bike.  If you can find a friend to buy another one with you Cervelo is offering $2000 off of the purchase of any two bicycles.  You can find it on their Facebook page.

I did sell one bike this summer of it would have been six.  It was a rigid steel 29er singlespeed mountain bike that weighed under 22 lbs.  I loved that thing, it was like giant BMX bike.  With my hips shot and my hands killing me, I still need carpal tunnel surgery this winter, even though I'd be smiling the whole way, I just couldn't handle the rigid singlespeed anymore.
Bilateral, Dr Scott Marwin, NYU Joint Disease Hosp, 11/15/11

Aerial

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2011, 11:25:52 AM »
Felt F2, full carbon with dura ace.......love it!  Got a great buy from a local shop owner who rides the same size as me.  He road it for under a year as a "demo" and then sold it to me.  I want to ride it...soon I hope.  Cycling is a great activity!
« Last Edit: December 26, 2011, 11:26:57 AM by Aerial »
Right hip resurfacing with Dr. Gross on 12/5/11!

einreb

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2011, 04:45:44 PM »
Cool!  I just got back from riding 40 and it feels so good to not ache after.  :)   

I knew I wouldn't be able to ride for a while after surgery and to give me something to focus on before surgery I took up framebuilding as a hobby.  The road bike below was my first frame, finished just after I hit the 6 month mark from surgery.   It designed and built it knowing that I wouldn't be that flexible for a while. I'll build another this spring with more normal geometry now that I can easily get in the drops. (I'm on frame #3 now and love the process)

40yo at the time of my 2/16/2011 left hip uncemented Biomet resurface with Tri Spike Acetabular cup by Gross

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2011, 05:37:31 PM »
Nice bike mate!! 
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

Woodstock Hippy

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2011, 06:32:57 AM »