+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: second opinion  (Read 1406 times)

lyn

second opinion
« on: December 27, 2011, 11:00:40 AM »
 Hi I'm new to posting and new to this website. Thank you Pat for the information you have made available. I went to Dr Rector to see if I'm a candidate for HR he said he would do a HR if I insist but he recommended a THR because of my size. I'm 50 years old and 5'2 and small boned. He agreed my dexa scan was very good. But he was concerned with femoral head breakage and metal ions. I have sent my medical records to Dr. Gross. for a second opinion and would like to check with Dr. Pritchett. My husband thinks I'm trying to go to a dr. who will tell me what I want to hear. Is is reasonable to a least get a second opinion from some of the best Doctors in the HR field?  Thanks, lyn

Luanna

Re: second opinion
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2011, 11:26:13 AM »
Hi lyn,
I'm a Dr. Pritchett patient and can share my story with you. I'm in your age range - 5'4" - 125 lbs. and small boned. Dr. Pritchett would not do a metal on metal on me, but he has another option for small boned women. Here is an article that he has written about women and hip resurfacing. You will find it helpful. It takes quite a while for the pdf file to open.

http://www.pritchettorthopedics.com/articles/women_hip_resurfacing.pdf

He uses a Stryker metal cup with a poly liner and a BHR metal femoral component. Kind of a mix and match approach. Mr. McMinn in the UK is also performing some HRs using these two components. They are both tracking results so it is a bit experimental at this point. So far the results are good but there is no longterm data yet.

I believe that you will get very different advice from the top surgeons. Vicky, who runs a site and has MoM implants from a top surgeon in India may be able to help you as well. Her surgeon has excellent results doing metal on metal on small boned women.

Hope you find the answer that best meets your needs.
Luanna
RHR 8/30/2011 - Dr. Pritchett - Stryker Trident Shell /X3 Poly liner acetabular cup. BHR head.

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2011, 11:49:50 AM »
I would get an opinion from the most experienced hr surgeon you can. I know that the mom is in the media at the min but the best person to give you the truth about it is a top surgeon. There are several who will give you an opinion via email from x rays and scans etc. I would email some of these docs and see what they say.
Hope this helps and welcome to surface hippy
Danny
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

Woodstock Hippy

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2011, 12:04:07 PM »
I think almost everyone here got at least two opinions before their surgery.  This is serious surgery and even mor so for a small boned woman.  Get as many opinions as you need to feel confident with you choice.  And be sure to ask about their experience with small bone women.
Bilateral, Dr Scott Marwin, NYU Joint Disease Hosp, 11/15/11

hernanu

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2011, 01:32:40 PM »
Hey Lyn, welcome to the site. I agree with the other folks here; many people here went for more than one opinion, it's the right thing to do with serious surgery. If there's a chance for a good opinion with an excellent resurfacing surgeon, why not take it?

Besides, most of them also do THRs, so are not opposed to them and will let you know how good a HR candidate you are. Good luck, there's nothing wrong with getting the procedure you want if you are a good candidate for it.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

ScubaDuck

• Adventures in Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2011, 02:42:45 PM »
If you were getting second opinions from unknown surgeons, I would agree with your husband.  But you are talking about the top surgeons in the country.  I always think that a second opinion is important on big medical decisions.

Best wishes on your search.

Dan
LHRA, Birmingham, Dr. Pritchett, 8/1/2011
RHRA, EndoTec, Dr. Pritchett, 12/6/2022
fullmetalhip.wordpress.com

Aerial

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2011, 03:28:54 PM »
I am also a small boned female (5'7" and 125 lbs.) I have well above average bone density and Dr. Gross did my surgery.  He relies a lot on bone density scores to determine candidacy, not so much size.  It'll be interesting to see what he tells you given your DEXA scan is good.
Right hip resurfacing with Dr. Gross on 12/5/11!

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat