+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Crutches or Walker?  (Read 2356 times)

bri

Crutches or Walker?
« on: December 29, 2011, 09:36:04 AM »
Had surgery Dec. 8th. Rehab started me out on a walker and I have used it since. It does hurt your palm of your hands if you use it a lot. Wondering if I should use crutches once in a while to give the palms a rest? Did anyone else start of on crutches?Is there a benefit using one or the other?At your 6 week appointment do they usually switch you to a cane? What other things change after your 6 week appointment? I am off all pain meds and doing great. When do you stop wearing teds?I am at 50% weight bearing now also.Does that change?Still taking coumadine at this time also.

obxpelican

Re: Crutches or Walker?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2011, 10:10:11 AM »
If you are a bi lat I would say walker, if you only had one hip done I would use crutches.  Much easier to get around and later on when you are learning how to walk you can easily control the amount of weight you are putting on your hip.

JMHO.

Chuck
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

jon

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2011, 10:10:56 AM »
They put me right on elbow crutches.  Guidance is four weeks on them then two weeks on cane.

Jon

ScubaDuck

• Adventures in Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2011, 12:03:20 PM »
I only used a walker in the hospital for the first walk.  After that it was two crutches.  I graduated pretty quickly to one crutch in the house.  Then I was using one crutch and then the cane.

I will say I jumped to the cane too quickly and went back to crutches for awhile.  The most important thing is that your gait should be good when you transition to less support.  You don't want to create bad muscle memory.

Best wishes.
Dan
LHRA, Birmingham, Dr. Pritchett, 8/1/2011
RHRA, EndoTec, Dr. Pritchett, 12/6/2022
fullmetalhip.wordpress.com

mikebaker

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2011, 02:00:59 PM »
I only used a walker in the hospital. It takes a bit to get good on the crutches but when you get there they provide good support. You are like me and just over 3 weeks and if you are 50% weight bearing then crutches should be fine. I am supposed to be "feather" weight bearing for 6 weeks but I have no clue how someone could do that religiously for 6 weeks. I am doing the best I can but I definitely put more weight on my operated leg than that. At six weeks my doctor let me be full weight bearing and that was interesting to say the least. I was tilting to one side and stayed with two crutches for a couple of more days and then went down to one crutch. I eventually made it to a cane but that was a shock as well. You definitely do not get very much support from a cane. Good luck and I hope you are feeling well.
LBHR July 28, 2011
RBHR Dec 6, 2011

chris finn

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2011, 02:25:07 PM »
I only used a walker in the hospital.

Yup...me too.
BIRMINGHAM RESURFACE, LEFT HIP, 9TH DEC 2010,BY MR A. NORRISH...CONSULTANT-SURGEON, ADDENBROOKE`S HOSPITAL...CAMBRIDGE UK

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2011, 02:34:18 PM »
Hay chris,
             How are you doing?
Danny
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

OtterDriver

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2011, 03:01:19 PM »
Hello Bri!

For what it's worth...another ditto on the walker in the hospital only!  I think the occupational therapist just had to check that off her list as being covered.  I had my right hip done and used crutches only for about four weeks total.

Good luck and Happy New Year to you!

Bruce

chris finn

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2011, 04:06:39 PM »
Hay chris,
             How are you doing?
Danny

Danny...Ive messaged you as I dont want to hijack someones thread  ;) ;D
BIRMINGHAM RESURFACE, LEFT HIP, 9TH DEC 2010,BY MR A. NORRISH...CONSULTANT-SURGEON, ADDENBROOKE`S HOSPITAL...CAMBRIDGE UK

Neild5

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2011, 08:37:20 PM »
I used the walker for about a week after I got home, cane for 3 days.  Both were used for stabilizing as I was full weight bearing right away.
50 yo male left Biomet 2/28/11, right BHR 2/20/12

bilateralbliss

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2011, 07:29:57 PM »
had same as Jon, walker one day then crutches, was told by PT crutches make you walk with a better gait:)
Bilateral BHR Dr McMinn 6Dec2011
Birmingham

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat