+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Wired piece of femur now displaced  (Read 3091 times)

SusieQ

Wired piece of femur now displaced
« on: February 27, 2008, 09:27:53 PM »
Just went for my 8 week follow-up visit with the surgeon.  Xrays showed a hefty wire around my femur and a good size chunk of bone sitting well above it.  I believe the term is greater trochanter that was cut.  I never knew this had been cut in the first place.  Now it has completely come out of the wire that was holding it.  The ball and socket look just fine, thank God.  But I am flabbergasted that this piece had been cut off.  The surgeon said he thinks it will be fine and plans to just leave it.  He said he cut this piece off to have better access to the site.  Has anyone else had this issue?  All in all I think I'm doing ok so far, but am now worried that this will be a future problem.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2008, 09:42:41 PM by SusieQ »

Vicky

Re: Wired piece of femur now displaced
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2008, 09:52:46 PM »
Who was your surgeon?  I am wondering if they used the Ganz approach? 

Vicky

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2008, 08:28:44 AM »
Hi Susie

Welcome to Hip Talk.

I have not heard about this before - but that doesn't mean much.  Even after reading and learning for 3 years, there is always something new.

I don't know what to say. If I get a chance, I will ask another hip surgeon about it.  I would certainly like a better explanation of what was done.

I hope your hip continues to be OK.

Good Luck.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

SusieQ

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2008, 09:56:30 AM »
My surgeon was Dr. Mitchell Sheinkop.  It was done at the Neurologic & Orthopedic Institute in Chicago.  He's also affiliated with Rush Hospital in Chicago.  Thanks for your quick responses.  Any info would be helpful and maybe reassuring.

peteuk

« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2008, 05:00:11 AM »
hi, does anyone know or can explain about the Ganz method, i have looked about for an explaination on the web but cannot find anything , the surgeon who is going to do mine prefares this method but i have only met him the one time before i had an understanding of hip resurfacing, thanks, pete

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2008, 07:32:12 AM »
Hi Pete

Here is a page about the Ganz Ostetomy  http://www.nyumc.org/hospitals/hjd/html/body_ganz_osteotomy.html

I think some doctors use during hip resurfacing to deepen the sockets  http://www.surfacehippy.info/surgicalapproachsu.php

This explains more toward the bottom  http://www.surfacehippy.info/approachestosurgery.php

It usually means they are using the anterior approach which very few surgeons use.  There is more possiblity for nerve damage.  All of the really experineced surgeons use the posterior approach.  You can read why here  http://www.surfacehippy.info/surgicalapproaches.php

Hope that helps.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

SusieQ

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2008, 09:56:47 PM »
My surgeon (Dr.Sheinkop) explained that not only is there greater access buy it is done to prevent nerve damage.  The wiring I understand is the Ganz approach.  So be careful if this is what you're getting.  He has talked me into waiting til my recheck April 21st and we will see how this mess is healing.  Promises me it can be fixed if it does not look good.  Would then go in and screw the bone in place.  This of course opens up new possibilities for problems.  He said if I was going crazy worrying about it he would fix it now, but prefers to wait.  Since I keep progressing I can wait.  Was funny, but everywhere I went today (therapy, store, work) I walked out to my car before realizing I'd forgotten my cane.  I won't be bothering to take it at all real soon.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat