+-

Author Topic: Headaches  (Read 4311 times)

tennisgirl

Headaches
« on: December 31, 2011, 01:40:46 AM »
Hey Everyone,

I writing to see if anyone else has been experiencing headaches post-operatively. 

Four days after my surgery, I started feeling dizzy and had a horrendous headache.  About a week after that my ears started ringing.  I went to my PCP twice, then an ENT who referred me to a neurologist.  The neurologist was concerned that I might have bleeding in my brain as I was taking a blood thinner, and I had a CT scan which turned out to be normal.  At just over three weeks I stopped taking the blood thinner and the dizziness subsided, but the headache and ear ringing continued. 

I've had a MRI which was normal, and two blood patch procedures that were not successful (there was suspicion I had a cerebral spinal fluid leak from spinal anesthesia).  I just got back from another neurologist (to get a second opinion), and I am now going to try an antidepressant that may alleviate the headaches.

I am very, very frustrated at this point, as I've almost never had headaches, and I feel that the headaches are hindering my recovery from resurfacing surgery.  I have a headache 24/7.

I'd love to hear from anyone else who may have similar symptoms. 

Mindi
R Biomet Uncemented Dr. Gross 11/9/2011

Luanna

Re: Headaches
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2011, 02:16:25 AM »
Hi Mindi,
Oh no...I thought that they had probably subsided because you had not posted about them since early after your surgery. I hope the antidepressant works. What about meds that are specifically for preventing migraine type headaches? Would that be a good option?

Not fun. I've had a few headaches post op but I think they happened when I became dehydrated. I am trying to drink lots of water.
They were not constant and excedrin over the counter took care of them.

Luanna
RHR 8/30/2011 - Dr. Pritchett - Stryker Trident Shell /X3 Poly liner acetabular cup. BHR head.

tennisgirl

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2011, 06:03:58 PM »
Hi Luanna,

Thanks so much for your support and response.  Apparently I have puzzled two neurologists since I have what they are calling an atypical headache.  I don't have any symptoms of a migraine.  I'm going to try the meds for several weeks, and then check back in with the neurologist.  He wants to see if things calm down with medication and not do anything invasive, which I like since I've been stuck alot lately.

I also liked your suggestion that your psychiatrist gave you for talking to your leg...in a way I am blaming my surgery for my headache woes and am very angry that I had OA.  Probably irrational, but understandable.

I tried to get an appointment with Emory University's neuro people, and if you can believe it, the first appointment I could get was at the end of August.

Happy New Year,

Mindi

OtterDriver

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2011, 06:59:29 PM »
Hello Mindi!

Not having had any headache issues during my recovery...I have no advice or recommendations to offer.
Just wanted to offer my sympathy to you!  I sincerely hope you can get your troubles sorted out soon and start into 2012 with your head free of pain and focused on a speedy and successful recovery.

My best wishes to you!

Bruce

Luanna

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2012, 02:05:19 AM »
Sure hope the medication works for you. My hubby take inosital supplements for ear ringing. He thinks it helps. Perhaps you could goggle it and see what comes up. Look for PubMed research articles too.

Luanna
RHR 8/30/2011 - Dr. Pritchett - Stryker Trident Shell /X3 Poly liner acetabular cup. BHR head.

Aerial

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2012, 05:43:33 PM »
Wow, just read this!  That really stinks.  I had some pretty bad headaches the first couple days after surgery but that happened with another surgery as well so I think it was anesthesia related.  I hope you can find some answers.  Have you talked to Gross's office?  Have they seen this before?
Right hip resurfacing with Dr. Gross on 12/5/11!

tennisgirl

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2012, 05:52:26 PM »
No, Dr. Gross' office is perplexed too.  I called them first and they had me see my PCP.  When I saw Lee and Dr. Gross for my five week check-up, they were at a loss as to what might be causing the headaches and ear ringing.

I'm on day two of the meds, but can't see any change yet.  I step up the dosage of medication in a week to see if that helps, and then my neurologist wants me to check back in with him.

It's all very annoying.  My head feels like it's in a vise all the time.  I've been told by some doctors that headaches can't always be definitively diagnosed, and sometimes they just go away on their own, which I hope happens to me!  I just can't help thinking somehow the surgery triggered some weird response in my body, as I almost never get headaches.

Aerial

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2012, 06:27:18 PM »
This may be totally unfounded, is there any chance the headache is a reaction to the metal implant?  Not sure if a headache is a symptom of metal allergy or if it could show up that quick after surgery.

tennisgirl

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2012, 06:30:02 PM »
I've thought of that too...hope not.  I'm planning on updating Lee Webb this week and I'll pose that question to her.

Hippyliz

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2012, 01:14:23 PM »
Mindi,

I'm curious -- what's the status of your headaches?  I feel so bad for you for having to deal with that, especially during your recovery!

Liz
47 yrs, LHBiomet, Dr. Gross, 1/16/12

tennisgirl

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2012, 03:20:59 PM »
My headaches have not improved.  I have been on nortryptyline for a week and the only thing I can say is I am a little less bothered mentally by the headaches and ear ringing.  I started going to a gym and it's a good distraction.  All I can say is that it seems so weird that what I have can't be definitively diagnosed.  I go back to the neurologist in a little over two weeks...I'm supposed to give the meds at least two weeks to see if they help at all.

The good news is I am walking very well.  I may have overdone it at the gym and will be taking a few days off (a common issue with alot of us...we're anxious to get back to "normal").

Aerial

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2012, 04:47:59 PM »
 :-\ Sorry that your headaches are still a factor.  I understand how tough this must be.  I hope that someone can pinpoint a cause for you.  Did you check back in with Lee this week?  Did she offer any insight?

tennisgirl

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2012, 10:00:22 PM »
Yes, I did check with Lee...still doesn't know why I'm having headaches.  I hate the med I am on...the neurologist had me increase my dosage last Friday and it was awful...I had to call the on call doc Saturday to make sure I had not had a serious reaction, and I went back to the original (lowest) dosage.  The med is called nortriptyline and it makes me feel weird and not like myself.  I'm giving it another week, and then am calling my neurologist to see what is the next step.

Thanks everyone for your support and concern!

OtterDriver

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2012, 10:10:05 PM »
Hello Mindi-

Sorry to hear you're still having to deal with the headache issue...Bummer! 

Glad to hear the walking is going well and I hope the headaches disappear soon!

Take care, Bruce

hernanu

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2012, 12:44:27 AM »
Mindi, I really feel for you about the headaches, hope they find a way to treat them.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Recent Posts

Re: Pain on Rising by jimbone
Today at 01:24:59 AM

Re: Travelling for Resurfacing during Covid-19 by BionicHip
Today at 12:00:02 AM

My 8yr Bi-Lat Anniversary by Gino_Tortellini
December 03, 2020, 09:25:02 PM

Re: Pain on Rising by Saddlepal3
December 03, 2020, 08:33:02 PM

Advertisements

Donate Thru Pay Pal