+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Met someone at PT today that had a BHR and a Revision!!!  (Read 18129 times)

PistolPete

Met someone at PT today that had a BHR and a Revision!!!
« on: December 30, 2011, 09:06:42 PM »
Well, I met someone that had his hip resurfaced about 4 years ago AND had the mini-hip installed about 2 years later.  He said the surgery went well and around 2 years post surgery he started having major pain.  His surgeon first thought it was from the metal ions but checked his levels and they were fine.  He said he would need to operate but wasn't sure what was going on because X-Rays weren't showing anything.  When he got in there there was necrosis (no bloodflow to the bone) and he ended up replacing to a Mini-hip.  He said it looks like he had some type of trauma to the hip early after his first surgery that caused the issue.  He said he fell going down the stairs about 6 weeks post op but never fell on his hips but did land HARD on the operated leg.  This is mostly likely the issue that possibly caused the issue.  He actually had the same surgeon that I had and said the mini-hip has been awesome and no issues.

Jeremy76761

Re: Met someone at PT today that had a BHR and a Revision!!!
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2011, 12:02:48 AM »
Hi Pete, thanks for that information. Who was the surgeon, what kind of mini-hip. Was it Snyder?

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2011, 05:47:07 AM »
Thats interesting to know pete. I didnt realsie that a fall in the early weeks could result in loss of blood supply to the bone. I'm going to be even more careful now!
Still its good to  know that the guy is having a good result from his revision!
Danny
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

PistolPete

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2011, 07:57:04 AM »
Hi Jeremy,

The surgeon is Snyder.  The guy said he's very happy with the mini-hip and was 100% satisified with Dr. Snyder and Newton Wellesely he said he just had the luck of the draw. 

Danny-  it does make sense if you think about it.  After the surgery the blood flow is compromised for quite some time and early major trauma to the area could be magnified many times over.  I'm just glad that he's doing so well even with the revision so it gives hope that if this HR ever were to fail we still have great options.

Jeremy76761

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2011, 08:36:34 AM »
A gentleman Day who has posted on this site, set up his own site, and is on youtube in a TV interview, has very (early) positive reports about getting 2 mini hips. He's a mountain climber and has been given no restrictions at all with the device. Another potential post BHR device could be the Mitch, which is also new but really a kind of resurfacing becuase it leaves half the FH and all the FN intact. The Mitch has been placed on people who's BHR failed on a couple of occassions, but I really don't know the reasons for failure or whether it would work in the vast majority of cases. But there should be acceptable revision options for athletic people in the years to come if they need it.

http://www.dayacheson.info/minihip/my-story/
« Last Edit: December 31, 2011, 08:41:41 AM by Jeremy76761 »

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2011, 10:03:05 AM »
Pete,
        your right it does make sense. It just leaves me wondering what could be considered ''major trauma''?
Im interested in these devices as they seem a good posr hr device. But obviously they will still create stress shielding as there metal. But i have read about a carbon fiber composite stem which flexes in a similar mannor to bone which could possibly lessen stress shielding. The early results with the carbon stem were not good but this was due to the stem not having a proper surface for the bone to grow into.
I really hope that ''if'' my new HR ever fails that enough time will have gone by for another option to come along that will allow me to carry on living my life!
Train hard fight easy
60mm cup 54mm head
;)

Jeremy76761

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2011, 04:52:10 PM »

Fascinating, Danny. Where did you learn of this carbon fibre composite?

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2011, 05:24:26 PM »
It's just one of the things I stumbled across while doing research. As I said it initially didnt do well but i think that it's a sound idea. As it could potentially rid the thr of stress shielding which is one of the main negatives from what I've read.
I'll see if I can did out the link for you
Train hard fight easy
60mm cup 54mm head
;)

lori.36

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2012, 11:09:55 PM »
Wow this scares me.  I fell on the stairs, I think at 10 weeks.  I was carrying my daughter and I had socks on.  I slipped and my legs came out from under me.  Scared
E like crazy and my daughter.  I really hope I didnt screw anything up. 
Good info.  Now I will remember my fall just in case.
L-BHR 5-11-2011 Dr Rector
R-HR 9-11-2015 Dr Gross

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2012, 01:58:11 AM »
Lori I did exactly the same at 7 weeks. I think my un op side took 90% of the fall tho
Train hard fight easy
60mm cup 54mm head
;)

PistolPete

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2012, 08:57:12 AM »
Keep in mind this guy is in the one in almost a million that would have this problem.  Lori, don't even worry about it you will be fine.  I think the good news is that we have another great option god forbid we need to have a revision.  This guy is back to laying hockey again and living a healthy lifestyle.

Two4One

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2012, 09:20:07 AM »
Fascinating Post, Pete.  Good for us newbies to take it easy.
"I was inspired by the very idea of turning the wildest figments of your imagination into something real and creating a life for yourself." - Ken Ilgunas

12/11 Failed Bilateral BHR by Dr. Schmitt  3/14 Positive Metal – LTT for Nickel Allergy.   11/14 Bilat Ceramic/Titanium Revisions.

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2012, 09:30:44 AM »
I aggree it's really good to know tgere are great options out there "if" a revision is ever needed for any reason.
Although I for one am praying that my new bhr will out live me!
Danny 
Train hard fight easy
60mm cup 54mm head
;)

Jeremy76761

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2012, 10:22:29 AM »

We have evey reason for optimism with respect to HR.

But for those considering whether or not to get one, or how to protect their device long-term.

LET US NOT FORGET:

To be current on the state of knowledge, there really is no substitute for a trip or 2 to the local university library and a scan of peer-reviewed research on all sides in the field. There are no shortcuts, ultimately.

Nothing beats PEER-REVIEWED JOURNALS

obxpelican

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2012, 01:25:48 PM »
IMHO  I believe that the only time a mini hip is indicated is when the femoral head is damaged to the point of no return. 

IMHO I believe some of the doctors who are doing the mini hips (it's not an HR but more like a THR) are doing them because they are not as capable doing a standard hip resurfacing.  Removing some of the femoral neck does make it easier, but you are not getting a hip resurfacing in the end, you're getting almost a total hip surgery.

Those of us who have chosen a hip resurfacing have done it because we did not want the stress shielding issues, did not want a rod driven into our femoral canal and wanted to save as much of our femoral head as possible.

There is nothing that makes a mini hip better than a hip resurfacing at this point and IMHO I do not believe that technique is indicated for the vast majority of patients, yes it has it's place in a small amount of cases.

Chuck
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

Two4One

« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2012, 03:51:18 PM »
Very innerestin', Chuck!  Thanks.
"I was inspired by the very idea of turning the wildest figments of your imagination into something real and creating a life for yourself." - Ken Ilgunas

12/11 Failed Bilateral BHR by Dr. Schmitt  3/14 Positive Metal – LTT for Nickel Allergy.   11/14 Bilat Ceramic/Titanium Revisions.

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2012, 02:05:51 PM »
Jeremy
          Here's a little info I found on that carbon stem I told you about. I know the results were poor initially but I think there heading in the right direction.
http://www.iccm-central.org/Proceedings/ICCM16proceedings/contents/pdf/ThuF/ThFM1-08ge_bandohs226610p.pdf
Train hard fight easy
60mm cup 54mm head
;)

Jeremy76761

« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2012, 10:33:37 PM »

Thanks, Danny. Read through that piece. It's reassuring to know that there are options being developed for athletic people should the resurfacings ever fail. That's the first I'd heard of an actual line of research. Thanks!

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2012, 10:53:23 AM »
No problem Jeremy! I also find it comforting that if in 20 or 30 years my new HR were to fail then hopefully something like this carbon stem will have been fully developed to eliminate most of the negatives of the traditional thr's.
Danny
Train hard fight easy
60mm cup 54mm head
;)

jjmclain

« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2012, 12:35:59 PM »
My entire experience with my hip started with a bike crash. I developed AVN (avascular necrosis) which cuts off the blood supply to the bone. That led to bone on bone arthritis rather quickly. I am now one year post-op Left BHR and doing fantastic. I know some people have returned to cycling as early as a couple of weeks post surgery. I did not want to risk a fall so I stuck to my bike trainer until 6 months post-op. Many of the surgeons limit outside cycling for 6 months due to the risk of falling.

As everyone has said, once you get past the risk point, the concern of falls diminishes. I think there are many hippies on this site who have fallen with no repurcussions.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat