+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Rowing  (Read 14973 times)

Dannywayoflife

Rowing
« on: January 01, 2012, 02:18:16 PM »
I've just been given a concept 2 rower and done some rowing on it today.
Although I am now wondering is just shy of 8 weeks too early? I've done about 12mins on it today no real pain I just can't bounce or go quite as deep at the bottom.
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

OtterDriver

Re: Rowing
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2012, 02:28:43 PM »
Hello Daniel!

Happy New Year!

Proper rowing technique shouldn't involve any "bouncing"!  I think there's a rowing primer on the Concept II website...having said that, a previous discussion on another thread revealed some surgeon (Gross?) stating not to row until after six months!

Take care, Bruce

sdunn4

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2012, 02:53:47 PM »
There is a good thread under the general athletics category.  Dr. Gross definitely recommends waiting until 6 months to use the rower.

Steve
52 YO Rt Hip Biomet Dr. Gross, 10/24/11

Luanna

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2012, 02:56:03 PM »
I was also told that rowing is a no no. I don't recall why! It wasn't my surgeon tho. I think it was my physical trainer. Sorry Danny. Maybe someone else will have the specifics. It's one of the exercises I enjoy doing so I was disappointed that I have to wait to do it.

I'm impressed that you were able to do it for 12 mins. Means your flexibility is pretty darn excellent.

Luanna
RHR 8/30/2011 - Dr. Pritchett - Stryker Trident Shell /X3 Poly liner acetabular cup. BHR head.

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2012, 02:57:04 PM »
with bouncing i was just trying to describe the balistic/dynamic rapid change of direction at the bottom of the stroke. I would have thought that dr gross's advice with reguard to 6 months will be due to his cementless device. I would phone my surgeon but with the bank holidays i wont get hold of him till the middle of the week. I cant see that it can do any harm as im not over flexing my hip and theres no impact. Anyone else got any thoughts?
Train hard fight easy
60mm cup 54mm head
;)

sdunn4

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2012, 03:21:21 PM »
Danny,

You are exerting a lot of force as you pull the handle in.  Think about why there are lifting restrictions of 50 lbs. for quite a while following surgery.  Perhaps the repetitive forces could lead to a femoral neck fracture?  That was the reasoning Dr. Gross's office gave.  I don't believe there is an issue isolated to cementless devices.

Steve

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2012, 03:25:59 PM »
cheers steve i guess it kind of makes sense. I'll check with my surgeon when i can!
Train hard fight easy
60mm cup 54mm head
;)

Nemesis

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2012, 11:11:13 PM »
I am over 6 months now.  I did the rower for 20 minutes.  My operated leg fell asleep so bad I couldn't walk for 5 minutes.  I havent tried it since. 

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2012, 05:47:35 AM »
Really!? So far I've managed upto 15 mins on my spinning bike with out such problems.
Train hard fight easy
60mm cup 54mm head
;)

Nemesis

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2012, 12:16:27 AM »
Yeah it was weird. First my foot then my leg. I can do stairs so hard my heart rate is over 170 bpm, I can do leg presses for high reps, I can jog lightly with no pain but the rower is out.

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2012, 06:44:58 AM »
Thats really weird nem!!
Train hard fight easy
60mm cup 54mm head
;)

FlbrkMike

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2012, 10:27:25 AM »
I think some of the restrictions on rowing may have to do with the 90 degree flexion restriction.  I know that I go over 90 degrees on the "catch". 

I never had the 90 degree restriction, and my surgeon never told me that rowing was a no no, but my PT was not comfortable with it at first, and I didn't pull the rower out of the corner until about 8 weeks when I had specific permission from the Doc to do it.  Then, it was basically no resistance and about a 2:30 pace for 10 to 15 minutes at first.  By 12 weeks I was putting in 30 minutes and building up my pace with no problems.

For the past few months I've been able to put in 10K to 15K workouts four or five times a week (OK the past week I've sort of let it slide).  I'm down to about a 2:05 average pace for my long rows, which isn't world beating but it gets my heart pumping. 

My right leg does start to go numb sometimes after 20 minutes or so.  I like to break up my workouts into pieces of 25 minutes or less, and get up and walk around for a minute or so between.  This seems to help prevent the numbness.   

My advice is to take it very slow at first.  Listen to your body and build up distance, pace and resistance gradually.  You have plenty of time.  It's a great no impact workout but you don't want to overdo it.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 10:34:05 AM by FlbrkMike »
Dr. Ball
56 years old
LBHR 2/11/11
RBHR 3/11/11

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2012, 10:38:02 AM »
Thanks mike, I also didn't have a 90 degree restriction. I think I'll play it safe and ask on Wednesday when I see treacy
Train hard fight easy
60mm cup 54mm head
;)

sdunn4

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2012, 07:52:00 AM »
Danny,

It will be interesting to see your surgeon's advice.  I really miss using the rower; Dr. Gross advises waiting the full 6 months to use it and I will do what he says.  I am curious as to whether he is just conservative or perhaps there is something unique to the cementless style of fixation that would dictate "no rowing"?

Steve

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2012, 08:14:09 AM »
Steve I will let you know what my surgeon says. I would have thought that cementless heads will take longer to stableise and would have thought that to be the reason for waiting 6months.
Train hard fight easy
60mm cup 54mm head
;)

phillwad

« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2012, 06:52:03 AM »
I use a rower sometimes but I am not sure what a "2:05 pace" means - if that is for 1K - that is way fast!!!!!!

sdunn4

« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2012, 10:04:35 AM »
The 2:05 pace is for 500m; that's how the Concept 2 rowing computer is set up.  My update is that I passed my 6-month waiting period last week on Tuesday (hooray!), and have been rowing now for a few weeks.  I am not doing anything crazy; the longest row has been 40 minutes at only a 2:23 pace- but it sure is a great workout.  I am mixing the rower with swimming and cycling on my trainer.  Today will be my first day outside on the road with my bike!  We are looking for a warm day (in the 50's) with sunshine after a very cold and rainy week here in upstate NY.

Steve

JerryD

« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2012, 11:52:51 AM »
I'm surprised to see the restrictions that some surgeons appear to be placing on rowing.  At my post-op appointment (about 5 weeks after my BHR), I got the all-clear from my surgeon (Fares Haddad) to do anything that didin't involve running or jumping - with no weight, flexion or other restricitions.  As it happens, I used the rower for the first time just yesterday (8 weeks post-op).  It felt better than when I rowed pre-surgery!  On the concept 2, I did 5K in just under 23 minutes, which is just off my old times, so I was pretty happy about that.  And I feel great today.

I don't think my surgeon is a cowboy on the recovery score - like McMinn, he recommends waiting a year before running again.  McMinn also includes rowing as as one of the good exercises to undertake after the soft-tissue healing phase.  Here's what he has to say about the risks on the FAQ section of his website:

"The first six weeks after the operation you are in the phase of soft tissue healing. Therefore you will be advised not to put your hip through extreme ranges of movement in order to avoid a dislocation.

After this period, the degree of soft tissue healing is adequate to protect your hip during any voluntary movement. As a matter of fact, the tendency of the healing scar is now to contract in order to gain strength. Contracting scar has the potential to create a stiff and sore hip unless the hip is subjected to regular exercise during this period. Hence you will be encouraged to progressively increase your range of hip movements and increase the strength in the muscles around the hip by resorting to activities like swimming and non-impact exercises in the gym (such as using the bicycle, rowing machine, cross-trainers etc). Any exercise that does not result in excessive loading of the hip is good at this stage. You should try and avoid high impact-loading exercises like running, jogging, football, squash etc for at least a year after the operation.

As your hip improves in flexibility and stability, you may gradually resume your hobbies over the next few months. You may start playing a gentle game of golf after around 4 months and doubles tennis around 6 months. During the next few months, as you find improvement in the strength of your hip, you will be able to play more rigorously. If you are very keen on resuming impact loading sports then please start jogging on the treadmill with good footwear for a few months starting around the eleventh month before moving on to outdoor jogging or high-impact sports."

phillwad

« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2012, 06:48:46 AM »
I have using the Concept 2 rower with different distances - regular 10K in just over 40min - there are machines at my Y and I have got into including them in my endurance workouts as a change from a spin class

lycraman

« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2012, 02:20:27 PM »
Steve I will let you know what my surgeon says. I would have thought that cementless heads will take longer to stableise and would have thought that to be the reason for waiting 6months.

Danny - At what point did Mr Treacy allow you to start using the Rowing Machine?
Left Birmingham Hip Resurfacing
11th September 2012
Mr Ronan Treacy 54mm head 60mm cup

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz