+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Crossing Leg over the Knee / Continued Use of Pillow for Sleeping?  (Read 2699 times)

sdunn4

I would welcome any feedback on the two following topics.  I will be at 10 weeks post-op tomorrow and all has gone smoothly so far!
1) How long did you take until you felt comfortable crossing your operated leg over your knee while seated?
2) How long did you feel the need to use a pillow between your legs while sleeping?

So far I have not been compelled to even try crossing my leg over the other knee, and I continue to use a pillow.  My stretching and other physical activities are going very well- just some tightness in the operated hamstring.  Each day brings new progress!

Thanks,

Steve
52 YO Rt Hip Biomet Dr. Gross, 10/24/11

obxpelican

Re: Crossing Leg over the Knee / Continued Use of Pillow for Sleeping?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2012, 10:11:28 PM »
Many doctors will soften the restrictions on the 90 degree rule and crossing @ 6 - 8 weeks.

I still use a pillow since it feels better on my hips and back, I am 3 years + pre-op. 

Best thing to do, talk with your doctor.

Chuck
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

Neild5

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2012, 03:05:12 AM »
I waited until 7 weeks for putting my foot over my knee, but I was going past 90 degrees at 6 weeks.  I have slept with a knee pillow for at least 15 years due to back issues.
50 yo male left Biomet 2/28/11, right BHR 2/20/12

Aerial

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2012, 08:07:43 AM »
Steve- I am one month today!  Yippee.  I am able to cross my leg over my knee.  I am certain I am not supposed to do this yet.  I purposely don't sit like this but I tested it out a time or two.  It feels quite comfortable and much easier than before surgery.  Probably a little over a week ago I stopped using the pillow.  I actually found the pillow to be uncomfortable.  Maybe it is related to having very small thighs but sleeping on my side with knees together really doesn't make me cross the midline much (as long as knees are together).  Good luck in your continued recovery!
Right hip resurfacing with Dr. Gross on 12/5/11!

Two4One

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2012, 10:32:50 AM »
2) How long did you feel the need to use a pillow between your legs while sleeping?
Hi Steve,

I'm 2 weeks out today from bilaterals and have just started to feel a tiny little bit tempted when I'm half asleep to cross my legs.  Other than that, I'm so used to already sleeping and laying on my back with my legs apart that I have never used a pillow between my legs except for my first day post op.

My history is laying flat on my back for 2 yrs with undiagnosed end stage OA (blind spot location and not seen on ANY films); I'm practically glued in place by habit.
"I was inspired by the very idea of turning the wildest figments of your imagination into something real and creating a life for yourself." - Ken Ilgunas

12/11 Failed Bilateral BHR by Dr. Schmitt  3/14 Positive Metal – LTT for Nickel Allergy.   11/14 Bilat Ceramic/Titanium Revisions.

Woodstock Hippy

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2012, 11:03:26 AM »
Because of the anterior dislocations, I never had to have to pillow between my legs.  The doctors in the hospital told me about it and me about the other hip restrictions; crossing knees, pointing feet and 90 degree bending but I never had to worry about that.

I can cross my knees but I don't sit that way so I don't worry about that either.
Bilateral, Dr Scott Marwin, NYU Joint Disease Hosp, 11/15/11

Tin Soldier

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2012, 03:47:56 PM »
I try to sit with the leg crossed over the knee on both sides, but it's still a little tough to do.  Can't get the leg down very far, but I get a somewhat good stretch feeling for a bit and then it hurts.  I think it will be some time before I can comfortably sit like that.  I also still use a pillow between my legs when laying on my side.  I think it's more about bony knees than it is about the hip being stretched. 
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

Dan L

• LBHR Dr Brooks, 10/2011; RBHR 2/2012
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2012, 07:36:57 PM »
It took me about 9-10 weeks before I tried to cross my operated leg over the good one, still feels a little bit off, but mostly normal at almost 13 weeks.

Dan
LBHR Dr Brooks, 10/2011; RBHR 2/2012

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat