+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Scar tissue  (Read 11960 times)

Dannywayoflife

Scar tissue
« on: January 02, 2012, 01:21:59 PM »
I just thought I'd start a thread about scar tissue and how to try and rid ourselfs of as much of it as possible post op.
I'm now been seen by my best mate who's just about to qualify top of his class as a sports therapist. As I'm sure you can all imagine with my rather large legs I have rather a lot of scar tissue after my op in November! I asked my mate about getting rid of scar tissue and as it happens he's just taken on a client who had a thr 3 years ago and now is having real problems because of scar tissue around her trochanter. He has started using deep friction massage on me. He says that as far as he knows this is the only way to break scar tissue down. He says that it causes micro trauma and then your body repairs the damage and will remove scar tissue as a result. He says that he believes heat can aid this process also.
Has anyone else any ideas on how to help rid our selfs of as much of this scar tissue as possible?
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

Boomer

Re: Scar tissue
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2012, 01:49:53 PM »
Danny,

I went through about eight weeks of PT prior to my surgery that was designed to provide increased range of motion in both of my hips to enable me to avoid or delay hip resurfacing. This form of PT is based around the therapist helping me move my legs in such a fashion that scar tissue and fascia slowly and gently break loose so the body can provide replacement tissue that is healthier and more flexible. It was also supposed to create some space in the hip socket to enable fluids to get in to help lubricate and heal. Theoretically it made sense, so I gave it a try.

The therapy was extremely painful, as you can imagine. This was not massage, but therapist assisted manipulation of my legs and hip joints. The therapy did not enable me to avoid surgery, but it did increase my mobility in the three months prior to surgery. I have no idea if it was beneficial in the long run or not. I would not undergo such active release therapy again. I am convinced that getting back to the same active lifestyle I had before OA kicked in, minus high impact sports, will be enough to enable my body to heal normally. I am getting outpatient PT on a weekly basis that includes having the therapist help me increase my range of motion by gentle manipulation of my legs. It's painful, but it is working.

I have not had anyone recommend massage as a means to deal with scar tissue, except for the incision site. What your buddy suggests sounds reasonable. I hope it works for you.

I'm going to Costa Rica in March to spend a week playing in the warm sea and drinking cold beer. I think that will do wonders for my scar tissue. Most of which is insidenmynhead, by the way.

Boomer
RBHR with Dr. Rector on 11/30/2011
LBHR with Dr. Rector on 6/11/2012

curt

• Runner with the cruddy cartilage
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2012, 02:11:41 PM »
   Boomer, at $50 dollars a bag, and $25 additional for being overweight (which I am), I propose that you pack me as baggage.  And you need to contact my wife and boss and call it a temporary kidnapping!!

Curt
51 yr, RHBiomet, Dr. Gross, 9/30/11
happy, hopeful, hip-full

Two4One

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2012, 03:59:58 PM »
Good topic, Danny.  One of the misdiagnoses I heard several times over during my 2 yrs of end stage OA pre op was 'scar tissue' on both hips from my failed bilateral arthroscopes circa late 2009 to repair one hip and debride the other for simultaneous torn labrums.  So, as you might imagine, I'd like to do everything I can to avoid ANY scar tissue around my new hardware.

Oh Man, Boomer,  Costa Rica is my fantasy vacation.  I've got books and everything.  I lived overseas in Spain as a little one and want to retire as an expat in Costa Rica. 

There's no grass growing under your feet, Boomer, but scar tissue is something I want to avoid from the get go.  Safe movement, sun, and a cold beer on the beach or water sound like an excellent jump start for your body to groove into a healing state of mind!

Get a tan for me...I'm very happy for you - How wonderful.

'one
« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, 04:10:29 PM by Two4One »
"I was inspired by the very idea of turning the wildest figments of your imagination into something real and creating a life for yourself." - Ken Ilgunas

12/11 Failed Bilateral BHR by Dr. Schmitt  3/14 Positive Metal – LTT for Nickel Allergy.   11/14 Bilat Ceramic/Titanium Revisions.

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2012, 04:28:08 PM »
Hay two4,
               I'm told that after such major trauma as a hip resurfacing we will never be able to eliminate the subsidiary scar tissue but we can get rid of as much as possible. Like I say I'm only aware of deep friction massage as the only way to actually rid us of it. And my mate says it's the only way he knows. I must say we've only done one session so far but today I've noticed more rom and less deadness feeling in my quads.
Train hard fight easy
60mm cup 54mm head
;)

Kiwi

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2012, 06:44:14 PM »
Good topic Danny. Scar tissue impacts my ROM and I saw my PT who told me about cross fiction rubbing & explained how the outer skin needs manual separation from the scar tissue. I did some of this type of massage in the hot pool this morning (after a pool session) which seemed to help.
I believe it needs to be done regularly and you can do the massage yourself. I googled it and there are several different techniques you can use.

Also good to note if you didn't know already.....

A scar's healing progression consists of two phases, immature and mature.

· Immature - Immediately after a wound heals, the scar is immature. During this period it may be painful, itchy or sensitive as nerve endings within the tissue heal. While it is typically red in appearance, most scars fade to normal flesh color with maturation. Exercise, massage and heat application will have the greatest positive effect on an immature scar.

· Mature - Depending on the size and depth of the wound, scar tissue will cease production 3 to 18 months following wound healing. When scar tissue is no longer produced, the scar is considered mature. While techniques to reduce scar tissue in a mature scar are effective, a more disciplined and vigorous approach is necessary.
LBHR 11/23/2011
56mm Head
Hugh Blackley (BHR Trained with Ronan Treacy)
Use it or lose it!

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2012, 06:47:35 PM »
Thanks kiwi it's a good little find that!:-) I think that scar tissue is something a lot a patients ant aware of and will impact your outcome.
Train hard fight easy
60mm cup 54mm head
;)

Kiwi

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2012, 06:54:04 PM »
Agreed mate. Personally my ROM is bad enough with any other added challenges! My hip flexors need a lot of work on my operated side from years of working around the OA pain. You know, compensating & not being able to exercise properly.

LBHR 11/23/2011
56mm Head
Hugh Blackley (BHR Trained with Ronan Treacy)
Use it or lose it!

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2012, 07:00:04 PM »
Yep I know what you mean! My mate did a psoas stretch on me it was painful at the time but as I say I feel better today.
Train hard fight easy
60mm cup 54mm head
;)

Arrojo

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2012, 01:29:49 PM »
Active Release Technique (ART) will remove scar tissue.  http://www.activerelease.com/

Scar tissue binds up and ties down tissues that need to move freely. As scar tissue builds up, muscles become shorter and weaker, tension on tendons causes tendonitis, and nerves can become trapped. This can cause reduced range of motion, loss of strength, and pain. If a nerve is trapped you may also feel tingling, numbness, and weakness.

What is an ART treatment like?
Every ART session is actually a combination of examination and treatment. The ART provider uses his or her hands to evaluate the texture, tightness and movement of muscles, fascia, tendons, ligaments and nerves. Abnormal tissues are treated by combining precisely directed tension with very specific patient movements.

These treatment protocols - over 500 specific moves - are unique to ART. They allow providers to identify and correct the specific problems that are affecting each individual patient. ART is not a cookie-cutter approach.

Dr. Su
RBHR 4/9/12

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2012, 04:34:41 PM »
I think I know what active releases are. I'm pretty sure my mate does them on me. What ever it is he does defiantly works!
Train hard fight easy
60mm cup 54mm head
;)

strost

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2012, 11:10:36 PM »
Three things:
1. ARP Wave Direct Current Therapy - You can definitely tell when you run over an area of scar tissue with the current as it really hurts! Here is the blurb from their website. They believe the joint wears down because the muscles don't fire correctly due to the scar tissue. It is important to address even if you wind up with a joint replacement.

The ARPwave System is pioneering a new branch of soft tissue medicine which deals with the Neurological origin of all soft tissue conditions and symptoms and not just the physical symptoms.

You CAN End Chronic Pain

You CAN Avoid Most Orthopedic Surgeries

You CAN Dramatically Improve Your Performance

You CAN Speed Recovery By 80% From Any Surgery or Injury
« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 05:21:28 PM by Pat Walter »

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2012, 05:36:50 AM »
I really dont see how this could avoid the need for most orthopaedic surgeries!?
Train hard fight easy
60mm cup 54mm head
;)

strost

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2012, 03:24:01 PM »
Definitely worth researching and talking to Pete or directly to ARP WAve. It deals with neurological and muscle re-education. They have lots of success stories. One of the founders has multiple ruptured discs and a very damaged knee, but he has successfully avoided the pain and surgery while remaining really active. They use this technology on lots of pro sports teams as well. If you can get the muscles to correctly fire and support the joint, then maybe you have enough space to have the range of motion and avoid pain. Alot of it does make sense, so dig in and ask them questions.

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2012, 05:20:47 AM »
Yeah fairone it does sound good but it cannot deal with under lying issues like bone spurs FAI torn labrums tho.
However my mate has a problem with his back he has a dehydrated disc and has tried EVERYTHING so i'll let him know about this and see if it can help him!
Train hard fight easy
60mm cup 54mm head
;)

hipnhop

« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2012, 07:19:16 PM »
I get on the roller thingy at least once a week. I should do it every time I go to the gym. It really helps and I always feel more fluid and a greater range of motion. Just need to stick to it and stop jumping on the chest press.
3/2011 and 2/2012 HR Dr. Craig Thomas

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2012, 07:45:20 PM »
I've still not got a roller yet. I really must order one! I'm just relying on my mate doing me treatments twice a week. Really noticing a difference now though!
Train hard fight easy
60mm cup 54mm head
;)

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat