+-

Author Topic: Scared of the Long Drive for my 2 week follow up  (Read 1964 times)

Two4One

Scared of the Long Drive for my 2 week follow up
« on: January 02, 2012, 07:16:45 PM »
I'm really fearful because we have an 8 hour round trip drive to the Detroit area on Wed the 4th.  It's my 2 week follow up with Dr. Schmitt, and I'm scared of the pain on Thursday that will inevitably follow.

I know to get out and walk around, etc., but Hubs has to work the next day and says no way we can break up the slog with an over nite in a restful hotel stay.  On the following day, I don't want to be in blinding pain that's not responsive to pain medication. :'(

I'm asking the board: how do you handle the long drive or plane flight for your very 1st 2 week follow up appointment with your surgeon, especially when you are still in the very early days post op and still in significant recovery pain after exertion?

I would very much appreciate reassurance and/or ideas.  Thank you

'One

"I was inspired by the very idea of turning the wildest figments of your imagination into something real and creating a life for yourself." - Ken Ilgunas

12/11 Failed Bilateral BHR by Dr. Schmitt  3/14 Positive Metal LTT for Nickel Allergy.   11/14 Bilat Ceramic/Titanium Revisions.

obxpelican

• ~Welcome to SixBurgh~
Re: Scared of the Long Drive for my 2 week follow up
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2012, 09:30:49 PM »
Ice it on the way, keep your meds ahead of your pain and foot pumps or stop often to move around so as not to end up with a clot.

Just a thought, would your doctor allow you to do this 4 weeks post-op?

You may end up swelling up pretty good when all is said and done.

Chuck
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

Woodstock Hippy

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2012, 10:26:16 PM »
For me, the issue on a long drive is stiffness.  I have two houses three hours apart  and since it's not snowing out, I've been getting upstate to Woodstock as much as I can.  I use the heated seat and take a break half way to walk and stretch out.  Still, I get really stiff and use the heating pad to loosen up once I get to the other house.

Stay loose, take breaks, and keep up with your medication and I hope that you leave the doctor's office with a big smile.
Bilateral, Dr Scott Marwin, NYU Joint Disease Hosp, 11/15/11

hernanu

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2012, 12:08:52 AM »
I'd ice on the way as much as possible (under the cheek preferably) and like Woodstock said, get out and walk off the stiffness. It also helps any pain. I usually stopped and walked as many times as I could at rest stops.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Two4One

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2012, 12:13:13 AM »
obxpelican, thank you kindly for your reply.  I need this appointment for some peace of mind issues.  I want X Rays, exam, and I really need the 'atta girl' from Dr. Schmitt.

I want to have a pool clearance desperately.  Instead of PT, OT, and the RN coming to my home, I want to be cleared to drive to PT.  Instead of being trapped in my home that I've been completely and utterly housebound in for 2 yrs because of undiagnosed end stage OA the entire time,  I want some freedom.  It's like making a prison break one month before parole because you're so stir crazy you can't take it anymore.

I don't have it in me to do 4 more weeks of time; I just don't.  I know that's the reasonable and mature thing to do, but no.  I held on and ran on fumes way longer than I ever thought I could for so long, and now I can't do even one lousy day beyond Wednesday.  I must have the glimpse of the prison chains breaking and the doors of freedom swinging open and get some specifics from my surgeon.

« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 12:16:22 AM by Two4One »
"I was inspired by the very idea of turning the wildest figments of your imagination into something real and creating a life for yourself." - Ken Ilgunas

12/11 Failed Bilateral BHR by Dr. Schmitt  3/14 Positive Metal LTT for Nickel Allergy.   11/14 Bilat Ceramic/Titanium Revisions.

Two4One

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2012, 12:45:26 AM »
Woody, We got 8" snow today and are expecting more tonight! 

For my stretching and ankle pumps, etc., we have to go inside McDonalds or Truck Stops because it's a gross stretch of highway and toll road up to Commerce, MI, in the Detroit area, and I'm worried about being immunity compromised because my OT, PT, and RN told me to avoid crowds with colds, sniffles, etc.  I'm wearing a surgical Mask.

Two4One

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2012, 04:43:47 PM »
Turns out my appointment is at 10am tomorrow with my surgeon Dr. Schmitt, so Hubs called me this morning from work and is driving me up tonight where we will stay at the Renaissance Novi Hotel (very nice place with walkin showers, cool reading lights, etc.).  Then, after a nice restorative lunch, we'll make the 2nd leg of the 8 hour round trip home in a rested fashion.

Whew!  I told him at the 6 month check up we could ride our bicycles up to my surgeons. 8)

mslendzion

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2012, 04:15:59 AM »
Enjoy your first outing. Wishing you the best.
Left BHR 1/9/12 Dr. Schmitt

Two4One

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2012, 09:07:06 AM »
mslendzion, thanks for your well wishes; I think they worked!

Obviously, I woke up, as I typically do, with pain coming to call in my hip flexors.  I took a hydrocodone around 3:15am, so I should feel better soon.  I cannot imagine how bad my hip pain would have been had we not broken up the 8 hour trip with an overnight stay!

I feel like I dodged a bullet,  Make no mistake, I'm still curled up like a bug from the ouchies, but it could have been so much worse had Hubs not reconsidered staying at a hotel. 

Dr. Schmitt's 2 week post op appointment is only a few hours away now, and I believe all will be well.  I also think I should have some freedom to leave our crib in the next week(s) or so and am excited to hear what the good doctor has to tell me.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 09:25:05 AM by Two4One »

Two4One

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2012, 09:23:58 AM »
Woody and hernanu,

I did make sure and get out to stretch and walk around at this cool truck stop Mall.  Everything you want, Man Style, was under one roof: hand tooled leather belts, wallets, leather jackets, clothing, I Pads, kindles, a phone store, a movie theater seating 20, a Pie Shop, a chocolate shop featuring only man type dark chocolate & HUGE hunks of Turtles, toffee, & brownies, AND a full on Gun Store with cool Bowie knives, Machetes, and long range sited peace keepers.

Yep, I iced and our cooler got a work out.  Thanks, guys, for the tips!  I didn't end up using the heating pads we brought, but I will as soon as poor Hubs, (snoring lightly - for him), wakes up this morning at a more civilized hour.

I want to thank everyone again who's sending me good wishes, vibes, and prayers.  Keep 'em coming, and I will be honored to do the same for you.  Being useful, and throwing good energy toward you or anyone who could use some positive light in their lives are 2 main ways that make this go round worth the trip.

One

Recent Posts

Advertisements

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Accordion Player Pat Webmaster/Owner

Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy

Statcounter

View My Stats