+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Vacation 2 months post op?  (Read 1668 times)

dg2112

Vacation 2 months post op?
« on: January 02, 2012, 03:43:39 PM »
I am scheduled to have my hip resurfaced by Dr. Gross on Feb 28th.

I have an opportunity to go to Hawaii for an all expenses paid week on April 29th.

I live in Virginia, so travel to Hawaii is about 12 hours.

Is this trip possible at 2 months post op or should I reschedule surgery? My gut tells me that 2 months post op is too soon for this type of trek. If I decided to go, would I be limited to sitting by the pool or could I walk around a bit?

I would greatly appreciate any insight.

hernanu

Re: Vacation 2 months post op?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2012, 07:15:55 PM »
It's a long trip, but at two months you should be walking without support, unless you're on a longer recovery. I think if you arrange with the airline to be in a seat with more room in front, and walk as much as is possible, I would do it.  You'll probably have a layover for an hour or two, so you're really talking two 5-6 hour trips.

I'd arrange for ice packs and such too. Hawaii is well worth it though (I had a condo there for a while), two months is when I was driving four hours to Maine or New Your City, so it can be done. Up to you though, to me, where I was recouping, I would do it.

Two months is long enough to be healed to go into a pool (just take good care walking in and out), and you probably can walk well. Avoid things like climbing inside Diamond Head, but also could take a pretty sturdy walking stick for some of the walks. It is early, but then it is Hawaii.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Cantab

• Paul
Re: Vacation 2 months post op?
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2012, 12:07:07 PM »
I am 8 weeks postop tomorrow.  I would have no problems going to Hawaii at this point.  If you asked me before surgery I would have been apprehensive , like you. But at this point I seem to have no real issues except some ROM problems.   Like Hernanu said just do lots of walking in the flight.  Good luck with TSA and your new hip.
RBHR Nov. 10, 2011.  Dr Specht Lahey Clinic, Burlington, MA

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat