+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Vacation 2 months post op?  (Read 3471 times)

dg2112

Vacation 2 months post op?
« on: January 02, 2012, 05:08:35 PM »
I am scheduled to have my hip resurfaced by Dr. Gross on Feb 28th.

I have an opportunity to go to Hawaii for an all expenses paid week on April 29th.

I live in Virginia, so travel to Hawaii is about 12 hours.

Is this trip possible at 2 months post op or should I reschedule surgery? My gut tells me that 2 months post op is too soon for this type of trek. If I decided to go, would I be limited to sitting by the pool or could I walk around a bit?

I would greatly appreciate any insight.

obxpelican

Re: Vacation 2 months post op?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2012, 05:21:26 PM »
Everyone is different, some would not have a problem.  @ 8 1/2 weeks as a patient of Dr. Gross's I played 18 holes and walked a lot of a very hilly golf course.  I would have not had a problem traveling that far, we did 8+ hours from Columbia SC to Pgh the Saturday following my surgery, I drove a lot of the way back.

If it were me I would go for it, if I were a betting man I would bet you will be fine by 2 months, this is assuming that you have good bone stock and you will not be on Dr. Gross's slow recovery.

Better yet, call Lee and run it by her.

Chuck
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

sdunn4

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2012, 05:25:11 PM »
DG,

Same here!  At 8 weeks I was walking 3-4 miles with no cane.  I'm at 10 weeks now and I would jump at the trip if I were you!

Steve
52 YO Rt Hip Biomet Dr. Gross, 10/24/11

Woodstock Hippy

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2012, 05:36:37 PM »
I think the issue is your flights.  I go over to visit family every other year and I found the direct flight from Newark to Honolulu painful before I had hip problems.  I'd schedule an overnight in San Francisco each way and go out and enjoy yourself at the half way point.

I'm going in September and I'll probably go direct out and then spend three or four days in San Diego on the way home.
Bilateral, Dr Scott Marwin, NYU Joint Disease Hosp, 11/15/11

Aerial

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2012, 05:58:19 PM »
I am one month post op today and walking well on my own.  Dr. Gross was my surgeon.  I think the minimally invasive approach really speeds up healing.  I think you will likely be fine walking about and flying by that time.  I am comfortable driving and sitting at this point.  At 8 weeks you'll be past the six week follow-up that Dr. Gross schedules.  As long as he says everything looks good at that appointment, go for it!  Sounds fun.  A little sun and fun sound very appealing!
Right hip resurfacing with Dr. Gross on 12/5/11!

curt

• Runner with the cruddy cartilage
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2012, 06:05:07 PM »
Barring severe complications, you should be fine.  A nice reward and a chance to enjoy your new mobility.  Walk and then chill by the pool!

Curt
51 yr, RHBiomet, Dr. Gross, 9/30/11
happy, hopeful, hip-full

ScubaDuck

• Adventures in Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2012, 09:40:15 PM »
I agree with everyone here that most people would be fine at two months.  I would get in as good of shape before surgery as you can.  Then diligently do all the a physical therapy they prescribe.

Best wishes.

Dan
LHRA, Birmingham, Dr. Pritchett, 8/1/2011
RHRA, EndoTec, Dr. Pritchett, 12/6/2022
fullmetalhip.wordpress.com

mslendzion

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2012, 10:21:31 PM »
Sounds like the perfect reward for your hard work.  You should definately enjoy the oppertunity.  If you feel sore relax at the beach and soak in the sun and view.  Any thoughts on what traveling through security is like with a HR device?
Left BHR 1/9/12 Dr. Schmitt

23109VC

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2012, 12:35:43 AM »
At 6 weeks I went to Disneyland.  I felt great and was walking without a cane.

I walked a lot that day...noida how far but a normal day at the park.  I did NOT go on any hard core rides like space mountain.  I used my cane to make it easier on my body. By the end of the day I was sore and it lasted a couple weeks.  I know I walked too much and overdid it.

At 8 weeks you will be fine to walk around, but I would not plan on anything stressful.  In retrospect, I should have waited longer to go on my outing, but relatives were in town and I wanted to go instead of stay home and sit around.... 

At 8 weeks you are far from fully healed...so be careful.  I'd pass on the windsurfing, parasailing, etc.   ;)
Sean
Dr. Gross- Left Hip - 2/23/11, Right Hip 7/19/23

hernanu

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2012, 10:06:15 AM »
Sounds like the perfect reward for your hard work.  You should definately enjoy the oppertunity.  If you feel sore relax at the beach and soak in the sun and view.  Any thoughts on what traveling through security is like with a HR device?

It shows up.

I went through the doors to a courthouse, warned them ahead of time, they didn't really pay attention, then perked up when the alarm went off. I repeated myself, told them I had hip replacements (didn't want to explain HR), then they did a cursory wanding on my hips, saw the metal again, and sent me on my way.

Kind of anticlimactic. Outside of the extra time taken (about a minute for me), there was no real problem.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 10:07:03 AM by hernanu »
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

obxpelican

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2012, 10:11:56 AM »
Don't bother with a card from your doctor when you get to any TSA checkpoints, I've traveled 3 times since I got my new hip, all 3 times they did not want to hear it, the last time I got a good frisking from a nice TSA agent, in some countries we would have had to be married now.   ;D

It's no big deal, but you do need to speak up.

Chuck

Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

dg2112

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2012, 08:20:24 PM »
Thanks for all of the great advice.

I called Dr. Gross's office and they gave me the ok.

The plan would be to take it very easy. Nothing more than walking around.

We would suck it up and upgrade to first class to make the flight comfortable.

I am encouraged since I can get the op out of the way in Feb as opposed to waiting until summer.

Thanks for the airport security comments. I did not even think of it.

curt

• Runner with the cruddy cartilage
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2012, 10:02:12 PM »
     As a pilot with this metal implant, I can confirm that you will get the "special" screening every time you go through a U.S. metal detector and set it off (and you will).  They are required to do it.  Tell them you have a metal hip and then try to keep your cool.
     If you can and the airport has one, use the newer imaging screeners - just empty your pockets, stand there for a few seconds and you're through with no aggressive pat-downs.  Not enough airports have them, but use 'em if they do.

Curt
51 yr, RHBiomet, Dr. Gross, 9/30/11
happy, hopeful, hip-full

einreb

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2012, 03:32:49 PM »
     As a pilot with this metal implant, I can confirm that you will get the "special" screening every time you go through a U.S. metal detector and set it off (and you will).  They are required to do it.  Tell them you have a metal hip and then try to keep your cool.
     If you can and the airport has one, use the newer imaging screeners - just empty your pockets, stand there for a few seconds and you're through with no aggressive pat-downs.  Not enough airports have them, but use 'em if they do.

Curt

I've been through security 4 or 5 times now and it takes a minute or two longer, but i just tell them that i have metal in my leg and they have been quite pleasant.  I'm sure you could catch somebody on a crabby day, but i think being friendly and courteous helps in getting friendly and courteous service from TSA.

Hawaii two months post op sounds wonderful.
40yo at the time of my 2/16/2011 left hip uncemented Biomet resurface with Tri Spike Acetabular cup by Gross

Tin Soldier

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2012, 05:23:56 PM »
I'd go.  I would have gone at 2 weeks post op.  At 2 months, I was back to a slight limp at best and would've have loved to float around in warm water staring at little fishies and finishing up a hard day of laying on the beach with a few drinks watching the sunset.   If you aren't planning on doing anything too physical, the trip over will probabaly be the most taxing on you. 

BTW - The TSA didn't let me set the machine off.  I really wanted to, but they sent me through another passage to the pat-down area.  I was all very new and exciting to me, I was so proud of my new hips, but the TSA agents could care less, "But I really do have metal hips", "yeah, yeah whatever, move along buddy!"  I'm sure the TSA agents are pretty used to it. 
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat