+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Can anyone recommend a resurfacing Surgeon in the Washington DC area  (Read 3477 times)

4630hawt

Can anyone recommend a hip resurfacing or replacement Surgeon in the Washington DC area

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: Can anyone recommend a resurfacing Surgeon in the Washington DC area
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2012, 12:49:12 PM »
The most experienced hip resurfacing surgeon near your area would be Dr. Mont in Baltimore MD.  Other than that there is Dr. Su and Clarke in NY, Dr. Gross in SC.  You can see the list for surgeons closest to you with a lot of experience.

http://www.surfacehippy.info/listofdoctors.php

Most people have to travel to use the really experienced hip resurfacing surgeons.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

4630hawt

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2012, 02:27:23 PM »
Pat, would you recommend I see Dr Mont or Dr C Anderson Engh in Arlington who has done 1000+ resurfacings.  Dr Engh is closer to my home. 

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2012, 04:02:02 PM »
Hi

I do have personal stories of Dr. Engh stories here  http://www.surfacehippy.info/hipstories.php#Dr._Engh_   I just don't remember anyone recently that used him on this group.  That doesn't mean he is not a good surgeon, just that his current patients haven't written any stories for the site.

I would visit Dr. Engh and if you don't like him or what he has to say, then move on to several other opinons.  You have to feel comfortable with the surgeon you use and only you will be able to decide that after meeting him.

Good Luck.

Pat
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

jjmclain

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2012, 05:17:08 PM »
Dr. Andy Engh was my surgeon and I have been posting on this site for over a year now! He is the best in the D.C. area and will give you honest and straightforward answers to all of your questions. I am one year post-op Left BHR and doing fantastic!!! I am now 50 years old, but was 48 almost 49 at the time of surgery. I am a small female and had AVN with some very large cysts. I am very active as I am a triathlete (Ironmans and Half IMs, etc.) as well as a fitness instructor and personal trainer. I was back teaching at 7 weeks post-op and was back running 5 months post-op. I have no limp, no pain, and feel younger than I have in years.

Please make sure you see Dr. Andy Engh and get his opinion. He and his staff are first class all the way. Please let me know if you have any more questions. You can always send a private message and I can give you the scoop on what I have heard in regards to other surgeons in the area.

Good Luck! June

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2012, 05:39:26 PM »
I am sorry June.  I am getting old and read so many stories, I often forget who used what surgeon.

Thank You for posting to tell us more about Dr. Engh.

I will take some time to try to put together your story from your posts for the main website Hip Stories for Dr. Engh.  I like to keep copies of the stories there too, but there are so many posted here that I lose track of them all.

Thanks again.  I will try to remember better   :-[

Pat
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

dg2112

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2012, 08:32:32 PM »
I live in DC and decided on Dr. Gross in SC.

Dr. G believes in the operation. I did not get that sense with Dr. Engh.

Also, according to Dr. Engh, he has performed about 500 BHR surgeries. This conflicts with Surface Hippy data.

That said, Dr. E and Anderson have a great reputation.

jjmclain

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2012, 07:50:37 AM »
I got a completely different vibe from Dr. Engh. He definitely believes in the surgery but honestly tells you all of the pros and cons. I had a very difficult situation whereas I am a small female, was bone on bone, had AVN, large cysts, etc. He honestly told me the pros and cons of each surgery, BHR or total hip, but left the decision up to me because he said he could do either. There was always the possibility that it could be a THR once he got in there. I asked him how many times that had happened and he said none.

As far as his numbers, I might have been the one to say he had performed 1000 and I received that number from one of the fellows at the office. I can check and get an exact number from his nurse if necessary. But he definitely believes in the surgery. One of the fellows was surprised given my complications that he agreed to a BHR for me. With that said, they said he wouldn't have performed it if he didn't think it would be a success. He knew he could handle it.

Sorry you got a different vibe from him and had to travel to SC. I don't regret my decision whatsoever. I am pain free, don't limp, will be back racing this year, and my quality of life is back to a 10. I feel much younger than 50.

horse doc

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2012, 10:27:52 AM »
I made an appt in Feb. with Dr Engh before realizing i'm probably not a candidate for HR. (hoping McMinn might have a solution for me)  Is it typical that the resurf docs would be good bets to try for THR as well?  Or do i need to start all over in my surgeon selection process?

hernanu

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2012, 10:38:49 AM »
I made an appt in Feb. with Dr Engh before realizing i'm probably not a candidate for HR. (hoping McMinn might have a solution for me)  Is it typical that the resurf docs would be good bets to try for THR as well?  Or do i need to start all over in my surgeon selection process?

Why do you think you're not a good candidate?
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

jjmclain

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2012, 12:17:00 PM »
The good resurfacing surgeons are also excellent at THR as that is where they started and still continue to perform some surgeries. In the D.C. area the Anderson clinic is known as the best for hip replacements. After I had scheduled my surgery with Dr. Engh, I was speaking to my parents who live down near Solomon's Maryland and told them I saw a great surgeon who was going to give me a resurfacing. Both my parents have had double hip replacements. They said oh we wish you could see our surgeon...as it turns out, Dr. Andy Engh was their surgeon!! They traveled to have their surgeries performed by him. Great surgeon, great staff, excellent care, etc.

As Hernanu said, don't rule out a resurfacing until you have received several opinions. I would keep your appt with Dr. Engh and see what he has to say. Everyone is different and you never know..people click differently with different doctors as you probably read the opinion of another hippy who got a different vibe from Dr. Engh. You need to go with an experienced surgeon that you feel comfortable with so get several opinions before you make a decision. I was satisfied with Dr. Engh after one visit and scheduled my surgery at that first appointment. But he was very thorough with me and took so much time explaining everything. My husband was with me in order to keep it all in perspective. I wish you luck!!

horse doc

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2012, 08:01:10 PM »

Why do you think you're not a good candidate?

It looks like I have post trauma AVN.    Vicky M has helped me show rads to some of the resurf surgeons and they all say probably not even a BMHR in my case.  Had an mri yesterday and it looks ugly (to a horse doc).  I haven't given up on that front until Mr McMinn says "neigh". 

In the mean time i am trying to learn about the next level of bone conservation options which I guess is short stem prosthesis THR.  I have found minihip and proxima stem so far.

Just so i don't hijack this thread, my searches for resurf around here only turned up Dr Engh and another group at Georgetown university. 

Great info June, thanks for that!

jjmclain

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2012, 07:36:45 AM »
Horse Doc,

I too had AVN from a bike crash and that started all of my problems which led to my resurfacing. I wish you luck and hope you find a surgeon you trust. Keep Engh in mind as I feel he is top notch.

June

4630hawt

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2012, 08:08:07 AM »
I keep hearing different opinions about the number of BHR's performed by Dr. Andy Engh in Arlington VA.  Can anyone give me a real number?  Would it be Kosher to call his office and ask them directly?  When I spoke with them to set up my appointment they were somewhat vague. 

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
Yesterday at 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear