+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Do you get stiff?  (Read 4246 times)

Woodstock Hippy

Do you get stiff?
« on: January 03, 2012, 06:57:45 PM »
No not there, in your hips.  Come one get your mind out of the gutter.

This seems to be my last hurdle.  Or maybe the next to last hurdle because I also need to get my strength back.  Maybe they go hand in hand.  Recover my strength and the stiffness goes away.  Long rides in the car, I get out stiff as a board.  Today I was on the bicycle trainer, I wanted to do an hour and I was starting to raise my heartrate and wattage for the first time.  At around 46 minutes I could feel my hips starting to get stiff and I wrapped it up at 48 minutes.  I've been working it out with the heating pad and now I'm starting to get loose again.

Anyone else dealing with this?  How do you get loose?
Bilateral, Dr Scott Marwin, NYU Joint Disease Hosp, 11/15/11

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: Do you get stiff?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2012, 07:36:50 PM »
You are not even 2 months post op.  Give yourself time. I did water walking and exercises at 6 weeks because of stiffness.  Eventually, it will go away but I am sure it will take time since you are bilateral.  Some people do nothing and eventually it goes away, while others do some water walking or other types of stretching or PT.  Just wanted to comment that again, it really takes time to heal and get rid of that stiffness.   :)

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

obxpelican

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2012, 07:55:44 PM »
Startup stiffness is one of the more common complaints I've read about, I had them for about 14 months post-op.  When I would stop for a while and sit the first 10 steps was really stiff, then it lossened up.

As Pat said, you are VERY early in recover, relax.

Chuck

This seems to be my last hurdle.  Or maybe the next to last hurdle because I also need to get my strength back.  Maybe they go hand in hand.  Recover my strength and the stiffness goes away.  Long rides in the car, I get out stiff as a board.  Today I was on the bicycle trainer, I wanted to do an hour and I was starting to raise my heartrate and wattage for the first time.  At around 46 minutes I could feel my hips starting to get stiff and I wrapped it up at 48 minutes.  I've been working it out with the heating pad and now I'm starting to get loose again.

Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

hernanu

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2012, 09:04:07 PM »

C'mon, Woody (  ::) ::) ::) ) you can't lob that softball and not expect some replies.

I was stiff until about seven months on the first, about 10 months on the second. I think the second was slower because I developed pain behind my metatarsal due to a bad gait (my own thesis on this); it slowed me down by a couple of months.

I was stiff on startup the entire time, at first for about five steps, then three, then less and now no startup stiffness. I do still get stiff after long rides, so try to do ankle pumps on the left when I think of it.

I think stretching helps, keeping hydrated and just time, man. I'll give you my favorite disco lyric that was sung to my daughters so much they immediately roll their eyes:

"Don't push it, don't force it Let it happen naturally It will surely happen If it was meant to be"

(Leon Haywood lyrics, Hernanu hippy).

and yes I get my philosophy from Disco....
« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 09:05:57 PM by hernanu »
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Woodstock Hippy

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2012, 06:06:30 AM »
This morning I woke up nice and loosey goosey again.  Today I have PT at 8:30, then I'll do a nice freezing walk in the woods and finish the day with a short ride on the trainer.  Since I'm working a little harder, I'll keep the time on the trainer shorter for now.

I love the pool.  Yesterday I did my first 50 yard freestyle with kicking.  It was like my legs didn't know what to do.  I've been swimming with a pull buoy and kicking with fins and a kickboard.  Yesterday, for the first time, when I kicked all my muscles felt fine so I tried just 50 free.  It was awkward, but it's a good start.

Dan L

• LBHR Dr Brooks, 10/2011; RBHR 2/2012
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2012, 08:24:23 AM »
I definitely have it, but only when rising from seated position; rising from prone, I am not stiff.  I have noticed that if I sit and have my foot up on a coffee table or hassock it seems worse.  After driving I get it for sure; even for the 20 minute ride to work.  A few steps and it goes away.

It is my only persistently noticable symptom, now 13 weeks from the surgery.

Hope it helps.

Dan
LBHR Dr Brooks, 10/2011; RBHR 2/2012

PistolPete

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2012, 08:58:27 AM »
Be careful.  Honestly, I'm at the same point as you post-op and not doing nearly that much.  i was told to ease back into things for long term gains.  Gains too soon can become issues in the future.  Slow and steady and you'll get there.  Most issues happen in the first 10 weeks and mostly around 10 weeks because we "FEEL" great and overdo things to then have a major setback.  Go slow until at a minumum of 12 weeks.

curt

• Runner with the cruddy cartilage
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2012, 10:25:30 AM »
     I agree with Pete.  Its exciting to have new mobility and tempting to see what we can do with it, but I'm finding now at almost 14 weeks that I should have been doing better at the little, boring but effective exercises.  Small movements that I now see would have steadily improved my stability and strength muscles and made movements today more comfortable.  Not as fun as doing flip turns,walking or biking long distances, but probably much more effective for future progress.  At least I hope so.

Curt
51 yr, RHBiomet, Dr. Gross, 9/30/11
happy, hopeful, hip-full

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2012, 10:58:14 AM »
How much is too much though? I'm currently trying to do 30 mins on my spinning bike (in 10 min sets) a day along with some basic sthrengthening exersises and walk a mile+. Is that too much? I dont feel like im doing any harm as im very careful and if i feel like im overdoing something i stop.
Danny
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

hernanu

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2012, 11:15:23 AM »
I was doing about 10-20 minutes on the spin bike at 4-8 weeks, danny, without much resistance at first, some later. I followed it up with an hour or so of PT along with my usual home exercises and walking. Of course there were times when I overdid it, and ice was my friend.

At this point with you, the thing to be careful of is the lack of blood to the neck of the femur, since the threat of a break peaks at three months. After that, I hear the neck recovers blood supply lost through the surgery and gets much stronger (please correct if wrong). I was much more careful of weight lifting at this time instead of spin cycling, which felt really good.

I think 30 minutes is probably Ok, so long as you listen to your body and keep the resistance low.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 11:16:30 AM by hernanu »
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2012, 11:51:01 AM »
I'm trying not to lift anything heavy if I can help it I certainly don't think I've lifted anything over 15pounds yet. I'm finding the sninning really helpful. I mix the resistance from non to moderate but I'm very careful.
I think your right about the 3months roughly for the circulation to return fully I know ice read the actual figure somewhere but can't recall it at the min. I'm going to just carry on with what I'm doing just steady progress with exercise. I'm seeing Mr Treacy next Wednesday so I'll ask him about what I should now be doing.
Train hard fight easy
60mm cup 54mm head
;)

Tin Soldier

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2012, 05:46:56 PM »
Not so much on the left side (almost a year), but I get start up stiffness on the right still (4 months), but not much.

Danny - I was riding my bike to and from work at a pretty good pace along the flats at about 6 weeks, which turned out to be about 40 minutes total for the day.  I really ramped up the speed because I was so stoked that I was back on the bike again.  I think it was really good for me.  I also probably get about 2 miles of walking in a day going back and forth to the printer  ::).

Don't do any heavy lifting.  I'm certifed to say that.  The other day I tried to pull a crankshaft out of a big diesel engine by myself and just about busted a nut.  Super slippery with engine oil, once it was out, I was comitted to getting it on the floor without dropping it.   A little later that day I had pain in the right hip that resembled pre-op pain and I was limping around the house just cursing myself for being such an idiot.  I thought for sure I screwed something up.  Well, I woke up the next day without an ounce of pain, so I did what all dumb 42-old men do, I went out into the pasture to change the tires on the tractor, by myself, no just kidding.  I didn't have any pain though.  Unbelievable.    I'm going to be a little more careful.

Before you pick something up, just picture the femoral neck (inch in diameter?) taking all the weight you're going to pick up, plus 3/4 of your body weight, then add a little impact with each step.  Plus its still healing for a year or so.  Yikes.
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2012, 06:10:07 PM »
Thans tin,
              I'm trying to keep a happy medium of doing phys to rehab and resting enough to heal. I am really consciously trying to analyse things as I do them and not do anything that could do any damage. I'm really looking forward to all restrictions being lifted already! I'm just dieing to do some boxing and judo!!:-) but even when I start training in them again I'm going to ease into it!
I'm seeing my surgeon next Wednesday so I'm really going to push to get a list of do's and don'ts! 
Train hard fight easy
60mm cup 54mm head
;)

Two4One

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2012, 10:32:32 AM »
I for one, *clutching my pearls*, do not appreciate this type of vulgar innuendo in a public post's title, Young Man! ;D 

Woody, now I know where your Username comes from!  I'm just kidding 'cause I know you're inspired by 'Country Joe and & the Fish'; ammi right?

At 17 days post op, I am quite stiff first thing in the morning when I swing out of bed.  I'm stiff if I'm in the living room's Recovery Pod (a hospital bed that's been ensconced since 2010) too long.  I'm stiff after an hour of Chair Time.  You get the picture; I'm stiff!  (Hubs says my theme song should be Madeline Khan's 'I'm Tired!' from 'Blazing Saddles.  Those lyrics totally describe the current state of my hips as they keep on trucking through recovery.)

Stiff or tired, as soon as that last pesky mm of unhealed scar on my L Hip closes up - ETA in about one week or less, I'm cannonballing into the pool for some laps.  From what I've read, and from what Hubs the former lifeguard and proud alumni of his HS swim team says, swimming will get the stiffness right out. 

Additionally, stretches and some yin style yoga http://www.amazon.com/Deep-Stretch-Yoga-Mimi-Solaire/dp/B002451DB4/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_3?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1325777167&sr=1-3-fkmr0, should get all your kinks out. (Sorry, I couldn't resist all the pun.)

One
"I was inspired by the very idea of turning the wildest figments of your imagination into something real and creating a life for yourself." - Ken Ilgunas

12/11 Failed Bilateral BHR by Dr. Schmitt  3/14 Positive Metal – LTT for Nickel Allergy.   11/14 Bilat Ceramic/Titanium Revisions.

Woodstock Hippy

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2012, 12:56:10 PM »
Going to the pool is the best thing I do.  In fact I'm much more dedicated to the pool now than I ever was as a triathlete.  I've started doing more kicking though and right now my hips are tired so I think I'll have to blow off this afternoon's outdoor bike ride and just do a walk in the flat part of the woods.

Kiwi

« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2012, 01:16:01 PM »
Woody, I assume you visit a cold pool for your symptoms?!!!

I also find the pool useful for this stiffness. I been 5 times now and have starting swimming lengths now - but only a few as I'm just 6 weeks post op.
Our professional rugby players over here jump straight into ice baths after their games. I can imagine with the busy schedules they have that this is for swift recovery of the physical nature of the game. I might start try it with a cold(ish) bath & let you know how I get on!
LBHR 11/23/2011
56mm Head
Hugh Blackley (BHR Trained with Ronan Treacy)
Use it or lose it!

23109VC

« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2012, 01:19:53 PM »
I had start up stiffness for a while, but it gradually went away.

I'm at about 10 months post op.  everyone heals differently.  Don't worry about it, it should improve with time.  Keep up the rehab, don't push too hard, but don't do too little either.

I felt that throughout my recovery, there were times when I would push a bit too far, but then gradually I'd get even stronger....I guess the old saying "no pain no gain" holds true for us hippies too? :D
Sean
Dr. Gross- Left Hip - 2/23/11, Right Hip 7/19/23

curt

• Runner with the cruddy cartilage
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2012, 06:17:05 PM »
      Starting to do the laps now too, seems to loosen up the knees and hips a little, and it gets the breathing up for me.  Starting to do the gym slug triathalons (treadmill 25 mins, bike 25 mins laps 25 mins).  I placed first today in my age group for men with hip resurfacing and extra stomachs. 

Curt
51 yr, RHBiomet, Dr. Gross, 9/30/11
happy, hopeful, hip-full

Two4One

« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2012, 06:41:35 PM »
Starting to do the gym slug triathalons (treadmill 25 mins, bike 25 mins laps 25 mins).  I placed first today in my age group for men with hip resurfacing and extra stomachs.

Wow!  Kudos on your first place finish!  Curt, you rock, and you have a real and significant accomplishment.

Good luck with your next competition!

One
"I was inspired by the very idea of turning the wildest figments of your imagination into something real and creating a life for yourself." - Ken Ilgunas

12/11 Failed Bilateral BHR by Dr. Schmitt  3/14 Positive Metal – LTT for Nickel Allergy.   11/14 Bilat Ceramic/Titanium Revisions.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat