+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: frustrated  (Read 3496 times)

osubucks

frustrated
« on: January 05, 2012, 03:52:57 PM »
I'm 7 weeks post op and up until a week ago I thought I was progressing pretty well.Over the past week I've
experienced pain in my knee and lower leg area which I hadn't had before.Also I am very stiff when getting up out
of a chair and walking.I'm starting to think something is wrong but wanted to see if anyone else had these issues at
6-7 weeks post op.
thanks

imgetinold

• Global Moderator
Re: frustrated
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2012, 03:59:52 PM »
I haven't been "fixed" yet, but I think a lot of people will respond by saying that your body is using muscles it hadn't in a while, and moving in a new way (improved gait) that requires some adjustment by the rest of your system.  I hope this is a temporary situation for you.  Good luck.
Andy
- Right Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 1/11/2012
- Left Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 10/28/2020

BOILER UP!

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2012, 04:46:39 PM »
Hi
You are not even 2 months post op from major surgery. It takes time to heal and return to normal.  Most people are very stiff at the 6 week point.  I did lot of water walking and exercises in the water to help mine.  Once you get over the stiff start up, it doesn't normally come back.  Give yourself time to heal.  Most healing takes about 6 months and full healing takes a full year.  Be patient and your body will eventually get back to normal.

Good Luck.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

osubucks

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2012, 04:55:15 PM »
Thanks Pat

Tin Soldier

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2012, 05:43:00 PM »
Buckeye - I was probably more stiff around that period, because I was starting to get back to life.  I think things were still healing and still getting situated in the new environment.  I wouldn't worry about any of that stuff too much right now.  Like Pat said it's still early in recovery.  If you're working with a PT, you might be able to get some exercises that help, also.  I've heard of a number of folks getting good results from pool work.
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

curt

• Runner with the cruddy cartilage
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2012, 06:10:15 PM »
      Having been a life-long stiff guy, I can say that I passed through window of feeling great.  Felt the same rapid improvement in the first 6 weeks, only to have that replaced by what I think is basic muscle fatigue.  It had honestly been so long since my days of over-training, that I forgot what it was like to be sore from it.
      Stick to the stretching and exercise program that your doctors or PT has given you and back off every 2-3 days with less effort (I just walk on those days).  Now that I'm used to the feeling of being muscle tired, I sorta look forward to it.  Need to get moving and warmed up and it passes.  My guess is I'm too damn old in the rest of my joints to ever dream of being completely rid of it, so I've stopped worrying.  Short term stiffness is a lot better than what we all had before, and as my old man used to say "at least we're on the right side of the grass!"

Good luck and think limber,  Curt
51 yr, RHBiomet, Dr. Gross, 9/30/11
happy, hopeful, hip-full

maxx6789

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2012, 06:29:42 PM »
are you saying ... you were NOT stiff for the first 6 weeks and than in week 7 you now ARE stiff? if this is correct, you should consider what may have caused this. as others mentioned, if you had an increase in activity, that would be understandable. did you return to work? (i returned to work full-time during week 7 and that was an adjustment)

we all know that even the weather (e.g., cold and damp) can make our bodies feel different. you should listen to your body ... it's probably just a short-term phase (we hope, right?) i am know that i am more aware of how my body feels post-op because i want to be more pro-active and not let things go (like i did with my OA pre-op).

best of luck to you!!!
Left BHR Della Valle, Sept 14, 2011
Right BHR Della Valle, April 4, 2012

Two4One

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2012, 08:55:59 PM »
Hi osubucks,

I'm 17 days post op and have had knee pain since my December 20th bilateral surfacing.  Yesterday at my 2 week follow up, surgeon says knee pain's normal and due to muscle spasm, new use, and new alignment.  Doc and PT Harry said to do:

Bent Knee Rolled to the Side
- Lie flat on your back in bed.  Flatten the passive leg on the mattress. Bend your other knee with the sole of your foot beside the knee of the passive leg.  Directly under your bended knee, position your foot and slowly roll knee open & out to the side of the bed.  You can place a bolster under the rolled out knee & rest it to support full relaxation of your adductors, or roll out knee unassisted for an extended stretch. Alternate knees 20+ reps.

Half Bridge Pose - also a yoga pose (Setu Bandha): Lie on your back. Bend knees close to the body, Hip width apart, lift up the buttocks up only half way - 3 to 5 inches, and tighten your core and glutes. Place arms below the body to support the waist. 20+ reps.

Standing Knee Bend - Place chair behind you with the seat raised with 3 pillows on it. Grasp a bar, ledge, or walker for stability in front of you. Bend leg behind you with your heel stretching toward your glutes. Hold a few seconds for 10+ reps.

Modified Partial Squats - Squat onto the chair with the 3 pillows staced on it.

Self Massage - For about 5 minutes, use a tennis ball or a rolling pin to massage up and down from your knee to your groin, gently loosening the tight spots.

Good luck with your healing knees!

One

« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 10:26:48 PM by Two4One »
"I was inspired by the very idea of turning the wildest figments of your imagination into something real and creating a life for yourself." - Ken Ilgunas

12/11 Failed Bilateral BHR by Dr. Schmitt  3/14 Positive Metal – LTT for Nickel Allergy.   11/14 Bilat Ceramic/Titanium Revisions.

John C

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2012, 09:10:40 PM »
Dont' forget that, like Pat said, you are VERY early in the healing process.
My surgeon told me to expect "start-up" stiffness for the first few months, then it would go away, or at least even out with the rest of our aging bodies.
My non-medical guess about your knee, based on my own experience, is that your leg is probably tracking in a slightly different alignment, which would put different stresses on the knee than it is used to. After my mothers hip replacement many years ago, her foot turned out slightly, and she would have knee pain if she was not careful to have her foot track straight ahead when walking. In my case, my foot and leg turned in slightly after surgery, and I had to really think about using the external rotators that had been cut during surgery, in order to have my foot and leg track straight ahead.
During the healing process, there may be lots of little ups and downs like this. You get used to working through them after awhile.
John/ Left uncemented Biomet/ Dr Gross/ 6-16-08
Right uncemented Biomet/Dr Gross/ 4/25/18

mikebaker

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2012, 09:58:57 PM »
Hi all,
I understand completely. I am on my second hip and had about 4.5 months on my first one. I have no pain in my first hip but it is still fairly weak but it seems as though it is handling everything fine given I am on toe touch weight bearing for 6 weeks (only two weeks left of this - yippee!!) The recovery of my new hip has been great for the most part but I had a lot of quad pain early which I don't remember for the first one and lately I have been getting really stiff. Now I am at about 4.5 weeks now for my new hip and started back to work full-time which basically consists of me sitting at my desk all day. However, I feel frustrated that I am still feeling stiff etc. The advice given in this post has been great and you really have to consider the fact that we had major surgery and we are going to have aches and pains and also good and not so good days. Keep with it though, it will get better!!
LBHR July 28, 2011
RBHR Dec 6, 2011

23109VC

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2012, 10:00:51 PM »
I had quite a few weird pains and sensations during my initial recovery.  Every time I felt something different I would worry maybe somethuing was wrong.  the pains always went away.. sometimes in days, sometimes in 2-3 weeks...  i think as our hips go through the healing process..there are all kinds of weird things we feel...

my advice is even though you may feel some new weird pain, or sensation... I woudn't freak out unless it's something that hurts really bad.  I had plenty of twinges, pains, and soreness.... especially after I woudl overdo it.  i made the mistake at about 6-8 weeks of going to Disneyland and walking way too far and being stiff/sore for the n ext 2-3 weeks...

now at 10 months I have virtually zero pain and my hip almost feels 100%...  it's amazing.

be patient, don't stress about hte little pains.. and know that in time you too will be running around on that new hip!!
Sean
Dr. Gross- Left Hip - 2/23/11, Right Hip 7/19/23

ScubaDuck

• Adventures in Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2012, 12:30:24 AM »
Totally normal to feel knee and other leg pain.  I definitely had knee pain through at least 10 weeks.  Even now I get some pain in the hip capsule and down the outside of the leg.  I attribute this to good workouts with the new leg tracking.  Just make sure it isn't sharp pain.

Best wishes.

Dan
LHRA, Birmingham, Dr. Pritchett, 8/1/2011
RHRA, EndoTec, Dr. Pritchett, 12/6/2022
fullmetalhip.wordpress.com

osubucks

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2012, 08:50:44 AM »
Thanks Everyone

bilateralbliss

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2012, 08:06:43 PM »
Reading this has really lifted my spirits ;)
My pain was far less at 6 weeks than it is at almost 8 now. Felt very frustrated too.
Thanks Pat and everyone for your help, it makes so much sense!
Bilateral BHR Dr McMinn 6Dec2011
Birmingham

Two4One

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2012, 10:17:51 PM »
Hi Bliss and osubucks,

My knee pain went away completely a little after 3 weeks post op.  However, for the last 2 days, my R Knee is stabbing when I'm doing my seated extensions.  Friday, PT Kristin said because my surgeon went in through my quads, and they connect to the knee, that's why I'm having the new transient R Knee pain; basically, she said it was normal in my case.

I hope this helps.

Godspeed/The Universe/Good Wishes to healthy healing.

2fer
« Last Edit: January 29, 2012, 06:01:40 AM by Two4One »
"I was inspired by the very idea of turning the wildest figments of your imagination into something real and creating a life for yourself." - Ken Ilgunas

12/11 Failed Bilateral BHR by Dr. Schmitt  3/14 Positive Metal – LTT for Nickel Allergy.   11/14 Bilat Ceramic/Titanium Revisions.

imgetinold

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2012, 10:09:05 AM »
I'm glad you got some good advice.

GO BOILERS!   ;)
Andy
- Right Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 1/11/2012
- Left Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 10/28/2020

BOILER UP!

bilateralbliss