+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Cycling after Hip resurfacing  (Read 10115 times)

protruck14

Cycling after Hip resurfacing
« on: January 05, 2012, 06:40:15 PM »
I'm a new member. looks like an awesome group. Does anyone have any information or experience about cycling after the BHR surgery?
    My concern is the rapid up and down motion causing heat in the metal to metal surface and the hip fluid congealing (Getting hard) and clogging up the joint. Is this a concern I wonder. I am deciding when to have it done , but want answers to my questions and concerns.
Thank you all, Brian (I'm 55 years old, no other health issues.)

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: Cycling after Hip resurfacing
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2012, 07:14:50 PM »
Hi and welcome to Hip Talk.

There have been many, many hip resurfacing athletes that have returned to serious cycling, usually along with triathlete or iron man contests.   You can see a few here http://www.surfacehippy.info/athletes.php

I never heard anyone complain about their hip device and surrounding hip area heating up.  The hip is a real bearing, but the friction between the components is not the same as a mechanical bearing in a vehicle.  I know these athletes work very hard and go very fast and never heard of such a complaint.  I really don't think it is something you need to worry about.  I do know a few athletes that have become dehydrated ended up with squeaking hips.  So you do need to keep yourself hydrated while doing severe exercise.

If you think about your normal hip joint, it too has layer of body fluid and it never heated up. It is the same body fluid which will eventually become the friction layer between the components.  I know the clearance is less with a metal hip, but same idea as with normal hip.

Most have their hips replaced when the pain and inactivity is no longer bearable.  Many of us could not sleep at night or even walk a parking lot into a store.  A lot depends on your life stye and condition of your hip.  No experienced hip resurfacing surgeon will do a hip to just make money, they have so many patients there are long waiting periods.  They will only do a hip resurfacing when the time is right and there is enough deterioration to warrant a major surgery.

Good Luck.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2012, 07:48:57 PM »
Floyd landis had his hip resurfaced and he can cycle a bit!
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

einreb

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2012, 08:07:50 PM »
I'm a new member. looks like an awesome group. Does anyone have any information or experience about cycling after the BHR surgery?
    My concern is the rapid up and down motion causing heat in the metal to metal surface and the hip fluid congealing (Getting hard) and clogging up the joint. Is this a concern I wonder. I am deciding when to have it done , but want answers to my questions and concerns.
Thank you all, Brian (I'm 55 years old, no other health issues.)

What you describe is not an issue at all for cycling post resurfacing.  Issues may include fracture if you start too early and fall on it, but the bearing surface should not be an issue for cycling.

Landis had some success after his resurfacing, but his career was essentially over due to his doping issue.  You can google Cory Foulk who has multiple iron man distance races after his resurfacing.   Here's a semi recent article on Cory...

http://www.slowtwitch.com/Interview/Cory_Foulk_hears_a_different_drummer_1971.html

I've put about 1000 miles on my hip since my resurfacing Feb of last year... feels great.  :)

-Bernie

40yo at the time of my 2/16/2011 left hip uncemented Biomet resurface with Tri Spike Acetabular cup by Gross

Baby Barista

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2012, 08:39:48 PM »
Doctor Pritchett had a paper on the subject of implant heating published just last year in the "Journal of Long-Term Effects of Medical Implants". Here's the conclusion of his abstract:

"Frictional heat generated in a resurfaced hip is not immediately dissipated and may result in increased bearing surface wear. Extended periods of elevated temperature within joints may inhibit periarticular cell growth and perhaps contribute to bone resorption or component loosening over the long term."

Here's the link to the entire paper:

http://www.pritchettorthopedics.com/articles/heat-hip%20resurfacing.pdf

Not so surprisingly, the research concluded that MOM implants generate more heat than other prostheses and take longer to cool down. However, compared to metal on poly and ceramic on poly, the difference is minimal. But we also need to take into account that the heat from a resurfacing is more directly radiated to the bone, because of it's design, and therefor could theoretically be more prone to causing heat related tissue damage.

That said, I plan to run, jump, bike and hike with my BHR, I'm not scared of heat damage. But I do believe it is something that needs further study. Oh, and after vigorous exercise... I will be icing my hips.
LBHR Pritchett 01/23/12 - 52mm head, 58mm cup
RBHR Pritchett 12/10/12 - 52mm head, 58mm cup

sroberts

• rbhr Dr Rogerson 6/26/08
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2012, 08:54:22 PM »
It's a non issue. I've cycled 5-7 days a week and raced TT's and Hillclimbs for the last 3 years.
No need to worry.

best,

spencer

protruck14

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2012, 08:58:39 PM »
Thank you everyone for the responses. I feel better now about getting it done. There are still a few questions. Like which is the best implant to use in 2012.?  The microscopic metal shavings some have mentioned.?

imgetinold

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2012, 09:10:18 PM »
Search for "Metal Ions" or "Metalosis" in this forum on the shavings issue.  The premature wear of the implant has a great deal to do with the inclination angle at which the acetabular cup is implanted.  The top surgeons have all commented on that issue at the surfacehippy website.  As long as your surgeon is experienced (300+, 500+) resurfacings, he/she should be well aware of this an adept at implanting at the optimal angle.
Andy
- Right Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 1/11/2012
- Left Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 10/28/2020

BOILER UP!

protruck14

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2012, 09:38:54 PM »
Thanks for the help and good luck with your surgery.

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2012, 09:55:35 PM »
Protruck, to be honest things in orthopaedics move very slowly. If I were you I would choose the device with the longest track record!
Train hard fight easy
60mm cup 54mm head
;)

Two4One

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2012, 11:09:53 PM »
Welcome, protruck14!

As I'm not quite 3 weeks bilateral BHR post op, I haven't been cleared for bicycling yet.  I believe I can return to cycling three months post op.  From what I understand, the Smith & Nephews supplied Birmingham Hip Resurfacing components have the best track record.

My surgeon, Dr. Schmitt, has done nearly 1000 hip BHR hip resurfacing surgeries, and was one of the first in the United Stated to do this procedure.  Schmitt did 34 resurfacings in October.  Out of the 950+, he's had 7 femoral fractures (patients breaking protocol and/or overdoing athletics before fully healed), and 3 times he had to switch the patient to a THR once he'd opened them up.

If you pick a highly experienced and talented surgeon, you will be just fine and tearing it up on your bicycle!

"I was inspired by the very idea of turning the wildest figments of your imagination into something real and creating a life for yourself." - Ken Ilgunas

12/11 Failed Bilateral BHR by Dr. Schmitt  3/14 Positive Metal – LTT for Nickel Allergy.   11/14 Bilat Ceramic/Titanium Revisions.

stephen

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2012, 04:25:15 PM »
I'm on my second year of a S&N BHR and am on a spin bike 4 days a week or more and have been for almost a year now. I've regained about 85% of my leg strength but will not push the device as hard as I can. I have already broke a peddle off of a spin bike because of the torque I generate an am seeing cracks in a few other peddles I have ridden on. I blame that on the rust and age of the spin bikes. I have taken my road bike out with no problems which suits me fine.

hipnhop

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2012, 09:01:39 PM »
I did a half Iron Aqualvelo 3 months after surgery. No problem.  I must say it was a flat  course. No hills!!! More concern with a fall, not riding. HR was made to return to active lifestyle.  I am 9 months Post op now and can run, box, jump rump. It is my non-op hip that limits my activity level. Rode 2 hours hard today.  Get busy
3/2011 and 2/2012 HR Dr. Craig Thomas

cassiewoofer

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2012, 05:18:36 AM »
Hi protruck, I left hospital with very little restrictions from staff on what I could do. As a result I found that I was cycling just to get around just three weeks after surgery! I raised the saddle to the max I could handle to avoid the 90 degree rule but found cycling far more comfortable than walking.
 The most hazardous operation was getting on and off the bike!
 I attached the sticks to the top tube with Duct tape.
 Cycling I'm sure is less stressfull on the hip than simple walking... cause your fulle weight is never on the leg, most of your weight is on the saddle.
 As someone said earlier Flloyd Landis has had a resurfacing and is a bit crazy so it wouldn't surprise me if he was cycling at 1 week post op!

Good luck with recovery.

Keith LBHR 15/12/10 Mr O'hara.

protruck14

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2012, 08:21:29 AM »
How soon after surgery will I be able to drive? And how long on the crutches?
Thanks for your help

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2012, 08:32:39 AM »
The driving will depend on what leg your having done and what car You drive. The cruches is a personal thing everyone progresses at different rates. Just remember with the crutches and sticks it's better to be on them longer and not develop gait issues.
Train hard fight easy
60mm cup 54mm head
;)

hernanu

« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2012, 09:06:51 AM »
Like Danny said, remember the crutches / cane / walker are there to help you.

You will have to provide help for the healing soft tissue, then retrain your body to use your muscles differently, etc.  Use them until you can walk without problems, and you won't have gait issues afterwards.

I drove an automatic car after three weeks on both sides. My surgeon had no limitations, but I also was full weight bearing from the start.

Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

johnd_emd

« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2012, 08:18:38 PM »
Well,

I'm sitting here in the hospital at Boulder Community Hospital, 2 days post op from my BHR resurfacing with Dr. Rector.  Couldn't believe how well it went.  Dr. Rector told me he got the device inserted perfectly.  Just what I wanted to hear.  It's been pretty amazing.  Had a couple walks in the hospital today, went up stairs, watched the snow fall outside, etc.  Now it's on to healing.  Pretty excited about it all. 

Special thanks to Boomer on here.  He and his wife put me and my wife up in his house and he and his wife have made this whole experience even more special, starting with picking us up at the airport, getting us to Dr. Rectors office for our pre-op visit, etc.  As soon as I'm discharged they've got their house set up for us to hang out in till I get my final check-up from Rector before we fly home (we live out of State). 

Anyway, those of you out there thinking of doing this, go for it.  First thing my wife asked me after surgery was, "Are you glad you still did this?"    And, my answer was an immediate "YES".   So, I guess that makes me a new "Surface Hippy" now.    Can't wait to get back onto my bike.  Hopefully, I'll even be able to race this summer.
Dr. Rector
Feb. 1
Rt Hip Resurfacing
Birmingham

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
Yesterday at 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM