+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Hip Resurfacing Dr. Schmitt  (Read 1579 times)

Two4One

Hip Resurfacing Dr. Schmitt
« on: January 05, 2012, 09:22:22 PM »
I'm a 5'9 small boned female, weigh 164 1/2 lbs, and slimming to my fit weight of 130 at a nice clip so far.

I am quite pleased with my hardware stats and brand new Smith and Nephew parts.  My Left Hip's angle is 32 degrees, and my Right Hip is 30 degrees. My ball diameter in both hips is 44mm and my acetabular cups are 50mm.  My legs are the same length too!  I'm happy with these numbers.

Will you, my fellow hipsters, refresh my memory of the optimum angle and ball size and cup parameters?
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 08:46:51 PM by Pat Walter »
"I was inspired by the very idea of turning the wildest figments of your imagination into something real and creating a life for yourself." - Ken Ilgunas

12/11 Failed Bilateral BHR by Dr. Schmitt  3/14 Positive Metal – LTT for Nickel Allergy.   11/14 Bilat Ceramic/Titanium Revisions.

Aerial

Re: Angled
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2012, 09:49:46 PM »
33 degrees, 50/44.....nearly the same numbers as you.  Small boned female 5'7" 122.5 lbs. (lost about 4.5 pounds since surgery but not intentionally, think it is muscle.  I need to get back to my regular activities). I think anything under 50 degrees is good.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 09:52:26 PM by Aerial »
Right hip resurfacing with Dr. Gross on 12/5/11!

mikebaker

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2012, 09:53:00 PM »
Hi there,
I was really interested in this subject too when I first came home and did a bit of research on the topic. I am not a doctor (actually I am a bean counter) but I actually took my x-ray and made a protractor out of paper and tried to figure out the measurements as well. I am a big boned guy and I have my surgeons report. The first goal is the angle of the acetabular component with a desired angle of abduction being 40 degrees. I have heard people start having issues with an abduction angle over 50 degrees. The next goal is the anteversion for which the goal is 20 degrees. Now I do not understand the anteversion that well but I think if you picture the angle of the cup looking from the side on the x-ray being fixed at 40 degrees and then imagine it on a axis and it is how the cup is turned towards the femur to replicate your normal alignment of the femur going into the hip socket. The last goal is to look at the stem of the femoral component and see if it is more or less in the center of the femoral head and then tipped one way or the other which is called either varus or valgus. Most doctors seek to have the femoral component tipped into valgus which in probably best described as tipped downwards rather than tipped upwards when looking at the x-ray. I hope this makes sense and best of luck.
LBHR July 28, 2011
RBHR Dec 6, 2011

OtterDriver

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2012, 11:17:53 PM »
Hello Aerial and Two4One!

Sorry...I can't help myself...as acetabular components go, would those sizes be considered "D Cups"?

Thanks, Bruce    ~8^)

Two4One

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2012, 11:53:48 PM »
Snicker!  I had to restrain myself and not refer to "my two balls". ;D
"I was inspired by the very idea of turning the wildest figments of your imagination into something real and creating a life for yourself." - Ken Ilgunas

12/11 Failed Bilateral BHR by Dr. Schmitt  3/14 Positive Metal – LTT for Nickel Allergy.   11/14 Bilat Ceramic/Titanium Revisions.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear