+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: do you run on your new hip and how far do you go??  (Read 7419 times)

23109VC

do you run on your new hip and how far do you go??
« on: January 05, 2012, 10:15:32 PM »
I was never a jogger / runner before hip surgery.  I would often use jogging as a way to burn off stress and exercise, but I would usually do 1-2 miles runs.. maybe 2-3 here and there.  I never have run father than 5 miles in a single run.  Stuff like marathons was never anythign I even considered...

with that being said... I totally gave up running about 4-5 years ago because it hurt too much to run.  Before surgery the most I could do to move quickly was a kind of limping / hopping thing...  my 3 year old could outrun me..that's how slow I was. 

Dr. Gross told me I could start running again at 6 months.  At 6 months.. I tried running.  I went maybe 100 yards and it felt tired and weird.  I could tell my muscles and everythign else was not up to it.  I would try to run every so often to see how I improved.  I do not try it every day.. maybe once a week or every other week I go out for a run.  There were a few times where I didn't bother to try for the whole month...  I am now 10 months post op.

Between months 6-10, I have maybe gone for a "jog" 7-10 times max.  I gradually have been able to go farther and farther before I feel any discomfort.

I haven't actually measured how far I"m going other than I know where I start (my house)..I take the same route..and I keep track of where I poop out...  lately.. each time I've gone, I've been able to go a bit further. 

when I do feel the need to stop, I feel some soreness or pain the area of my incision. the pain is NOT in my joint.. my joint feels great. the tiredness or soreness is more where the incision is.. making me suspect i still have not healed 100%.. or perhaps my muscles/tendons/ligaments/etc.. are just not strong enough to sustain running that far. 

I'm not a fat guy, but not small either.  i'm about 5'9" and weigh 200 lbs.  I probably shoudl weigh about 170-175...I gained a good 15-20 lbs after surgery..and have yet to lose it... my wife cooks good food and I can't help myself.. :)

I would say at this point.. I can run about 3/4 mile to a mile before I feel soreness.. considering that before surgery I would usually do 2-3 miles max... I am pretty excited to be where I am...

I'm just curious.. is my progress normal, below normal, above normal?  I am not sure if by 10 months I shoudl have my hip back to 100% and I shoudl be able to run all over with zero soft tissue pain.. or if this soreness is typical?

I feel zero pain the first parts of my run.. I start running and it feels perfect.  I try to run "smoothly" and not take huge giant leaps and put tons of impact onto my joints... but even if I pour on some speed and really try to go fast..it doesn't hurt.  it's just after I've run for maybe 10 minutes or so..that I start to feel pain..it's hard to descdribe it.. it's not sharp pain.. it's not some throbbing pain.. it's just sorenes. it also does not feel like muscle burn / fatigue from lactic acid...  it's more like a soreness...or inflamation.

it could just be i get inflammation and that cuases sorenss or maybe it's some kind of fatigue in the soft tissues?  the fact that it does NOT hurt one bit in the beginning an only hurts later on...and it has gradually taken longer for this to set in.. makes me think it's soemthing that is strength / muscle related..and the more I run the better it seems to get.

how many of you are running post surgery?  how have you progressed compared to your pre running ability.  I guess the fact that i had not run for 4 years or so BEFORE surgery.. has to play a role... and i'm not complainning.. if this is as good as I ever get.. I"m so much better off than before the operation it's not even funny.

in my day to day life..walking arodn teh hosue, up and down stairs.. Ii am 100%. I could run up and down a few flights of stairs and feel zero pain.. as if my hip is totally normal.. this "pain" or soreness really only presents itself after I run a long ways..

i don't plan on running a lot...I know there are various opininos on whether or not it's bad for our implants...  so while I"m doing it now as a way to hopefully rehab my leg/hip.. I probably won't make a habit of running a lot even if I can...  it sure is fun, however, to get out and run even 1/2 a mile.... given that it was physically impossible to do not that long ago.  running "fast" the first time was the biggest euphoric rush I've had in a LONG time... wow did I feel like i was FLYING.....

on a humorous note... recently when out with the kids at the park.. i took off running with one of my kids and my 4 year old turns to me and says "Daddy.. you were running!" with this tone of suprise.. he had never seen me run....  now I can outrun him..  for now...  :)

Sean
Dr. Gross- Left Hip - 2/23/11, Right Hip 7/19/23

Dannywayoflife

Re: do you run on your new hip and how far do you go??
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2012, 10:29:30 PM »
Sean,
        If your having pain under the incision I would hazard a guess that scar tissue is playing a large part in your problem. Have you thought about going to see a sports massage therapist?   
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

ScubaDuck

• Adventures in Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2012, 12:44:29 AM »
I hope to be finding out how running will be.  I was a runner for about 25 years before quitting 10 years ago.  I will be definitely starting out slowly and with short runs.  I am preparing by losing weight and doing elliptical, cycle, weights, and stretching.  I am 5' 9" and 178 lbs. 

Take it slow and try to use ellipticals or treadmills or soft surfaces.  And make sure you have good shoes also.  I plan on concentrating on more of a shuffle stride.

Best wishes.

Dan
LHRA, Birmingham, Dr. Pritchett, 8/1/2011
RHRA, EndoTec, Dr. Pritchett, 12/6/2022
fullmetalhip.wordpress.com

jjmclain

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2012, 06:53:54 AM »
I was cleared to run after my 4 month post-op check-up, which was actually around 4 1/2 months. I was told at first to limit it to a max of 10 miles a week. I started out like I had never been a runner, with walk/run by minutes. It didn't take long to get up to 3 miles of running straight. At 9 months I could run 10 miles straight. For now, I do varied distance runs and keep a longer run at 6 miles. I am getting back to racing this year so of course will eventually up my mileage and distance. I am at just over one year post-op.

They key was starting slow with walking and running to get all of the tendons and muscles used to running again and not running two days in a row at first. I have had no pain in the hip at all. I can't remember but I am sure my muscles were sore at first!

curt

• Runner with the cruddy cartilage
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2012, 08:00:25 AM »
       I am nervous about the running as well.  The few paces that I've done when I can't resist have highlighted a weakness in flexors and stabilizers.  The foot tries to toe in and the hip swings too much when the leg gets airborne.  Very hard to relax the leg and just jog, and its tiring when you stay tense to keep everything aligned.  So I'm using the next few months to strengthen everything so I'll be ready.  We'll see.

Curt
51 yr, RHBiomet, Dr. Gross, 9/30/11
happy, hopeful, hip-full

jon

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2012, 08:24:04 AM »
Have been running most of my adult life.

McMinn did my hip.  Post-op instructions could not be clearer.  No running until one year (might allow slow treadmill with new, forgiving trainers after 10 months).  Guidance is obviously much more conservative than that of US surgeons (in a lot of respects, in fact).  McMinn believes that several months are necessary for tissue to sufficiently integrate with (ie, grow into and around) acetabular cup.

I got a phone call from one of McMinn's medical staff (Chandra) the other day telling me to cool it after I had emailed some of my rehab activities.  Told him I was feeling great and he said all the better to dial it down.

I'm in this for the long haul so I'm abiding by the rules...!

FYI, I'm 48 years old, 5'10" and a little shy of 160 lbs.

Walking for the foreseable future...

« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 09:31:58 AM by jon »

hernanu

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2012, 12:48:16 PM »
I've always done running activities (soccer, basketball) but more anaerobic athletic activities (martial arts, boxing, weight lifting), so am not ideally built for longer distances and not really motivated to it.

I have taken up one running goal: to be able to run a full 20 minutes on the treadmill. I figure this will get me back to being fit enough to do a full soccer game, or at least set me on the path to it. I do elliptical and bike about 15 minutes as well, but my beginning lately has been the treadmill.

I started at about 10 months on the treadmill walking 15 minutes, at a low pace at first, then eventually at the highest pace that still allowed me to walk. That took about a month. At 12 months, I started mixing in running by minutes, with five minutes walking warm up, then one running, so on - it was about three minutes running. I am now at the reverse, with about 6-8 minutes running and about 7 minutes walking. I figure (on the treadmill distance tracking) about 1 mile per session.

This is followed up with three sets of weight exercises, usually including leg presses and then a warm down of about 10-15 minutes on the bike.

It feel pretty good, I take a lot of care on the treadmill; I watch my stride and gait carefully, and ask some of the trainers to look at it and give me their opinion. If there's anything spotted, I try to fix it. I think healing goes on for a couple of years, but now (for me) is a good time to try some running. I'd like to get to 1.5+ miles per 15 minutes, and maintain that with my other exercises; as I said, I'm not a runner but need the stamina and leg strength for the other things I want to do.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Jeremy76761

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2012, 07:49:27 PM »

No I don't have a resurfacing yet but I just wanted to post and state just how inspiring you all are. Keep up the good work and keep up the smart build up.

Aerial

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2012, 08:08:08 PM »
I am only about 4 1/2 weeks out so no running yet for me.  I am encouraged though.  When I am walking I am actually feeling like I could run.  This is unlike before surgery (when I would cringe at the thought of running) so I am stoked!  I also had surgery with Dr. Gross and he has no running for a year which will be tough.  I would love to feel the running motion again.  I think I can get on the elliptical after 6 weeks which is coming up.  I look forward to that too.  When I can run, it will definitely be a gradual build up.  It has been about almost three years since I ran.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 08:10:45 PM by Aerial »
Right hip resurfacing with Dr. Gross on 12/5/11!

Dayton96

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2012, 08:34:04 PM »
Sean,

I've put on some pounds too since my HR.  I plan on waiting until my one year checkup with Dr. Gross, before I slowly ease back into running.  When I do start, it will be on the local high school track with walking and running and very gradual increases.  I've been told (by email) by other runners who had a HR, that it was really important to warm up before starting a run, and that includes walking a few laps before starting a slow jog.  Complete a couple of laps of slow jogging and then gradually pick up a little speed.

There is no hurry.  You crossed your biggest hurdle when you had your HR and then went through recovery.  Now the fun part starts.

Mac
Dr. Gross, Uncemented Biomet, Left, March 2011

23109VC

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2012, 01:22:28 AM »
thanks for all the info.

I am happy I can do even a mile.... i suspect as I gradually lose weight, I bet I will be able to go even further as well.  I'm not THAT overweight... I'm 200 now...... if I could get down to around 180-185 i'd be happy.  in college when I was my most fit, worked out practically every day, I was 165-175....  so 185 would be GREAT at 40.  :)

I'll keep my running a once every other week thing and see how I gradually improve....  I'll focus on the bike, elliptical, and swimming for most of my cardio.... but it sure is nice to even be able to run at all!!  the kind of stuff that I used to totally take for granted.. now I appreciate.  even being able to tie my own shoe is something I actually really appreciate now!! 

every time I squat down to tie my shoe... I think "wow.. I couldn't do this 10 months ago!"... 
Sean

Jeremy76761

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2012, 01:34:32 AM »

Just a thought, but, I wounder if it is actually safer to run a few times a week rather than once ever few weeks. Seems to me that running should be regular in order to build up all the muscles involved in the way needed for running  --intra-articular hip, glute med/max, lower back, thighs, etc. Waiting too long between runs may never gives the body the chance to build up to the stress of the movement. Same issue for OA and HR. Not sure what the optimum frequency would be, but it might also be useful to include water running to strengthen without the impact.

23109VC

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2012, 01:42:09 AM »
thanks for the suggestion Jeremy!

maybe I'll try it a bit more often and see how my hip feels... I have noticed that lately, after running my hip does NOT hurt.  the first few times I tried it, my hip muscles/soft tissue felt sore for a day or two after I did it.  now.. when the soreness sets in.. if I stop and walk, it goes away almost immediately...and if I walk a few hundred yards I can start running again.... but I don't get nearly as far before it gets sore again.  Also.. now I am NOT sure the next day or even the same day.  If I ran a mile today.. I'd get sore at the end of the mile..but once home, showered up, I'd feel fine, no pain.  next day, I'd be good to do, no pain.... so i probablyh could try it more often...  and see if that makes it better or worse...

Sean

Jeremy76761

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2012, 01:53:23 AM »
Trying more often and letting your body be the guide certainly seems reasonable to me.

In getting me to recreational running with OA, my PT suggests a LOT of glute max strengthening, particularly lying rear leg raises with the legs straight, preferrably with weighted resistance. I've had to take a couple of months to build this up, including hip flexors, adductions, abduction, and of course leg presses and extensions.

Interestingly, one OS at the Arthritis Society said in a presentatoin that 12--15 reps to failure is ideal (for OA) in order to build strength. Reps lower than this might put too  much pressure on the joint. Personally, I do 10-15 reps but not to failure, and with leg presses 20-25 reps right now because I've had a knee issue. 20-30 reps is the range my PT suggested, at least early on in my "rehab".   
« Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 01:54:15 AM by Jeremy76761 »

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2012, 05:20:34 AM »
I would one day like to be able to run 2-3 miles a couple of times a week just for variety of training. I'm not fussed about running 40miles + a week I once did.
Train hard fight easy
60mm cup 54mm head
;)

Jeremy76761

« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2012, 09:22:43 AM »

Danny, just watch Corey Faulk for at least one indicator of the effects of long-distance running on HR. He had his surgery in 2005. Scroll down to see his 31 hour time. 

http://ultramanlive.com/2008-ultraman-world-championships/2011-entrants-bio/

Just sayin' you probably could run 40+ miles a week if you wanted to.

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2012, 09:54:09 AM »
Yep I have seen that before. I'll wait and see. To behonest even though I'm making progress I couldn't be any further from been able to run than I am right now.
If/when I'm able to train properly again I'm looking at training more intelligently than I have done in the past. I want to minimise the high impact stuff as much as possible. Hence why I'm going to box instead of muay thai and do judo and jujitsu as well. I know there's impact in all these activitys but it's not as forceful as with a Thai turning kick and not as repetitive as running. I will do some running if I'm able but I'll limit the distance and either run on the track or off road to lessen the impact, as don't forget there's no shock absorber in a hip resurfacing so impact must be transmitted to the bone.
Just my thoughts. Danny
Train hard fight easy
60mm cup 54mm head
;)

Jeremy76761

« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2012, 10:02:09 AM »

Interesting points. Limiting impact in favour of non or less impact probably lessens the chance of injury/strain for the rest of the body as well, and is hardly much of sacrifice for many perhaps most athletes. I also think MMA fighters always have to adjust their game around unjuries or potential limitations.

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2012, 10:28:21 AM »
Yeah I've done the whole train like a loony and while it got me mega mega fit I think that it helped put me where I am now. I'm still going to if I'm able do impact stuff like boxing judo bjj. But instead of doing literally 4 hours of training I'll train a little smarter. I think I will be able to be in just as good shape as I ever was but hopefully with less strain on my body and implant.
I think a variety of exersize is important. But I would love to be able to run 2-3 miles again in the future, but as I've said I'll do as much as possible to reduce the strain on my implant.  I certainly wouldn't dream of running at my present weight! I aim to loose around 40 pounds this year. Which would put me in a better position to run as there'd less force generated from running
Train hard fight easy
60mm cup 54mm head
;)

Gav

• Preston, Lancashire, England
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2012, 04:52:34 PM »
Most I can do is 40 minutes on the treadmill, then my groin is on fire!!! This at over 2 years from op!

That is probably about 6KM or therabouts.

Surgeon continues to tell me not to do any running. I tend to use crosstrainer and stepper at the gym instead.

Miss the running though.
4th September 2009, Mr McLauchlan, Preston

DePuy ASR  Right Hip-

No worries now!!!!!!!!!!!

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat