+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Returning to Work  (Read 2611 times)

mslendzion

Returning to Work
« on: January 05, 2012, 10:42:40 PM »
How long after surgery did you return to work?
Left BHR 1/9/12 Dr. Schmitt

Neild5

Re: Returning to Work
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2012, 11:09:18 PM »
I was pre approved for 8 weeks and since short term disability covered me well I took it all.  I have a desk job and if I needed to push it I could have been back in 4.   The nice thing was I was able to be flexible with PT.
50 yo male left Biomet 2/28/11, right BHR 2/20/12

Luanna

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2012, 12:08:52 AM »
I haven't returned to work at 18 weeks! There's a good reason for that though. I run a commerical construction company with my husband and I have my own consulting company (e-learning & instructional design). I run the construction company out of our home location and feel comfortable doing that but don't consider it work as I've done it for so many years. Automatic pilot. We are slow right now due to the economy so not too many hours per week (8-10). I started doing that work again after week 2.

I just don't feel like getting going on the consulting work yet as it is intense and requires 40 hours per week, lots of being nice to people, sitting at desks, and conferring with folks. Right now I'd rather just focus on my healing. 

Less income but more healing time. That's ok for now.

Luanna
RHR 8/30/2011 - Dr. Pritchett - Stryker Trident Shell /X3 Poly liner acetabular cup. BHR head.

mslendzion

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2012, 12:29:37 AM »
Im a manager of an implementation team and only deligated 3 weeks out with hopes  I can return. I'm guessing I will be slower with less energy and will need to fit in pt during this time. Would going back the first week partial be recommended?
Left BHR 1/9/12 Dr. Schmitt

ScubaDuck

• Adventures in Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2012, 12:59:48 AM »
I worked from home from the first week but not putting in full days by any stretch.  In fact I sat in one spot too much during the first few weeks.  I was back to the office after three weeks.  It was close to full days back to the desk job with time to go get ice and go to PT.

Best wishes.

Dan
LHRA, Birmingham, Dr. Pritchett, 8/1/2011
RHRA, EndoTec, Dr. Pritchett, 12/6/2022
fullmetalhip.wordpress.com

FlbrkMike

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2012, 01:09:14 AM »
For both hips, I had surgery on Friday and was working a few hours from home by the following Friday.  Back in the office by the middle of the following week.  My wife and I work in the same office so I didn't have to drive myself in.
Dr. Ball
56 years old
LBHR 2/11/11
RBHR 3/11/11

Two4One

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2012, 10:43:46 AM »
How long after surgery did you return to work?

Hi mslendzion,

Our surgeon, Dr. Schmitt, uses an Anterior approach.  Instead of cutting through muscles, tendons, and whatnot, Dr. Schmitt uses his fingers to pry apart the viscous matter, muscles, and various body parts in order to get at the hip socket and femur.  We should have a smoother and faster recovery because of his surgical technique, and I for one can attest to an amazing recovery with remarkably less pain every day!

mslendzion, you've posted that your OA was bad enough for 2 years that it severely curtailed your activity and progressively narrowed your world to the inside of your home.  It seems your athletics and activity became more and more painful, and your OA rapidly became the defining center of your existence.  (I can relate to that.)  TThat long history of disability and intense pain leading up to your resurfacing surgery may indicate you'd need more time to return to work than someone else with a pre op history of being sporty and of having a shorter span of less debilitating pain.

I can't resist quoting you on your initial surgical inquiries:

When I went in for my pre surgical clearance, which is at a different hosptial than that of Dr. Schmitt, my doctor told me that Dr. Schmitt was a good surgeon, the first to do a BHR in the States.  He said his hospital was trying to recruit him.  That all sounded pretty good to me.  I read also that he specializes in BHR in women, more good news.

Judging by my extremely gratifying results, we've got ourselves a great surgeon.  When I'm cleared, I'll probably re enter the employment market; my conservative guess is that I'll be able to return to work in 2 months.  That makes it a little over 10 weeks post op that I would return to work.

When PT Harry and I go for an outdoor walk in the chill winter sunshine, I'll be rootin' for you to do the same after you fix your hip in January!!
"I was inspired by the very idea of turning the wildest figments of your imagination into something real and creating a life for yourself." - Ken Ilgunas

12/11 Failed Bilateral BHR by Dr. Schmitt  3/14 Positive Metal – LTT for Nickel Allergy.   11/14 Bilat Ceramic/Titanium Revisions.

Woodstock Hippy

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2012, 11:23:04 AM »
I'm not going back!  As a NYC Union carpenter, I was able to retire at 55 years old.  I'm 61 and my doctor says I can't return to heavy construction with these new hips.  I'm already getting my pension and I'm filing for SSI and someday soon my  shiney new hips and I will be living the Hippy life in Woodstock full time!
« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 02:35:49 PM by Woodstock Hippy »
Bilateral, Dr Scott Marwin, NYU Joint Disease Hosp, 11/15/11

Dan L

• LBHR Dr Brooks, 10/2011; RBHR 2/2012
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2012, 12:36:34 PM »
I was scheduled to be out for 6 weeks, but I returned working from home after about 4 weeks, then back in the office after I was off crutches, at 6 weeks after surgery.  The intense boredom was the thing that drove me back to work, only so much reading and TV was tolerable.  Even working from home, I was whipped at the end of the day during weeks 4 and 5, sitting in a desk chair working at a PC was painful for the first few weeks, with the "monkey fist" sensation about 1/2 way between the lateral incision and the back of the butt.

I also managed to come back just before thanksgiving, which allowed me to work some short weeks, which was a big help, energy wise.  Still get tired some days, I'm told the effects of the surgery on energy will take some months to go away.

Dan
LBHR Dr Brooks, 10/2011; RBHR 2/2012

Boomer

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2012, 01:53:22 PM »
I started back to work full time on Tuesday. I'm leaving early today (Friday) because I'm whipped. I thought going back to work fulltime at week five would be OK. It was too much for me. I think it's hard to start back to work full time and keep up with the physical therapy as well. I made it through three and a half days and am throwing in the towel.

I'll try it again next week after resting this weekend.

Boomer
RBHR with Dr. Rector on 11/30/2011
LBHR with Dr. Rector on 6/11/2012

Kiwi

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2012, 02:44:43 PM »
Started working part time from home at 2.5 weeks post op, then full time last week before holidays. I'm now on annual leave but back to office next week. It's been a good gradual build up. Personally I would have struggled to be in office any earlier due to sitting most of day with my work (Supply Chain / Strategic Procurement). Being able to work from home during weeks 3 & 4, meant I could sit comfortably, ice all the time & continue with exercises.
My exercise routine when I'm back in office will be altered to before and after work, but plan on fitting in my walks during the day.
LBHR 11/23/2011
56mm Head
Hugh Blackley (BHR Trained with Ronan Treacy)
Use it or lose it!

stephen

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2012, 04:17:50 PM »
4 weeks on a part time basis due to medications. 12 weeks back to full time

Aerial

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2012, 09:00:55 PM »
I'm not going back!  As a NYC Union carpenter, I was able to retire at 55 years old.  I'm 61 and my doctor says I can't return to heavy construction with these new hips.  I'm already getting my pension and I'm filing for SSI and someday soon my  shiney new hips and I will be living the Hippy life in Woodstock full time!

Congrats on new hips on which to retire!
Right hip resurfacing with Dr. Gross on 12/5/11!

papalagidiver

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2012, 11:33:02 PM »
I am a teacher and returned to work after 4 weeks. I was still using with one crutch, as required by my doctor. I have had no problems making it at work all day.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat