+-

Author Topic: Resurfacing Patients - length of hospital stay?  (Read 20757 times)

bluedevilsadvocate

Re: Resurfacing Patients - length of hospital stay?
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2012, 02:32:18 AM »
Arrived at hospital 5 a.m. Wednesday, surgery around 8 a.m. that morning, released around noon on Saturday.  I probably would have been released midday on Friday, but i wasn't quite ready.
LBHR 10-20-2010
Dr. Brooks - Cleveland Clinic
Age 62 at time of surgery

JEMacpherson

« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2012, 12:51:40 AM »
Surgery with Dr. Pritchett in Seattle on Monday morning, out on Wednesday before noon.
Dr. Pritchett - Seattle
Right hip resurfaced on July 11, 2011
Born in 1953

zeke

« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2012, 01:00:57 AM »
Went in on  Monday left on Thursday afternoon, which happened to be my b-day...what a way to spend it.

stephen1254

« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2012, 02:02:54 PM »
48 hours, with the last 3 spent waiting for the hospital discharge papers.
RBHR Dr. Callander 3/27/12

nevinyoung

« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2013, 10:49:05 PM »
I was in the hospital from Monday at 6 a.m. to Tuesday at 5 p.m. I had told them ahead of time that I did not want to stay any longer than I had to, and pushed them on Tuesday to get the PT appointments done and signed off, and I was out of there.

obxpelican

• ~Welcome to SixBurgh~
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2013, 01:59:34 AM »
I've been hearing more and more of hips being done outpatient, same day.  I know a gal who had a THR done here in Pgh, same day.

Dr. Gross has been experimenting with outpatient hips too.

Chuck
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

greggf34

« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2018, 04:53:32 PM »
Monday afternoon surgery.  Went home at 6pm on Tuesday.  Tuesday morning was tough but by afternoon I completed rehab and was ready to go.

jimbone

« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2018, 05:54:15 AM »
Interesting progression of diminishing hospital stays from 6 years ago.  I feel certain it is a demonstration of increased surgical skill, experience, confidence and advances in prosthetic devices.  When I discussed infection risks with my surgeon, Dr. Pritchett before my first surgery I was told "The faster I have you out of there the less the risk" and that made perfect sense to me.  On the first hip I was into the OR at 10 m and discharged walking on crutches at 6 that evening.  The second hip 2 months later, same itinerary.  That said, with all the introspection it took to make the decision to have surgery I can't fail to notice how much courage it took those who came to that decision so much earlier and with greater unknowns. 

Rus

« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2018, 07:55:15 AM »
Wow, I'm amazed at some of the short stays!
I went into theatre around 6:30 on a Monday, and came home on the Thursday morning.

jimbone

« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2018, 07:06:56 AM »
Rus- Country of origin, operation origin, surgeon, surgical approach?   Just curious, wondering how differently various doctors proceed.  Of course your condition would determine a good deal of the protocol as well.  Hope your'e well and recovering nicely.

frigator

« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2018, 01:34:11 PM »
With Dr Gross I was surgery in the morning, go home next afternoon. Was offered go to hotel same day of surgery and then have the nurse come to hotel and Dr Gross next morning. I was very comfortable in the nice private hosp room so decided to just stay the night there. And my wife slept on a recline flat seat in the room also. So it was good, hosp seems new and staff is always there to help.

I had almost no pain from my surgery. Lee told me they put in these numbing medicines  that last three days and really help with pain. So I was good for 5 months and then the wheels started coming off the bus for me.

Rus

« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2018, 02:18:49 PM »
Hi Jim, I'm in the UK and had a Birmingham on the NHS.  Surgeon was Mr A Cobb (not the Mr Cobb mentioned on this site).  I had no idea in advance that different surgeons had so many different approaches.  I just went along with the choice between Birmingham or THR (maybe naively!).  If it gives any clue, my scar is at around 8 o'clock (more to the side than back).
From what I've learned since, 3 nights seems quite normal for NHS.  But the surgeons' advice for rehab etc seems to vary massively!
I'm happy with my recovery so far, thanks.  I'm a bit "clicky" at 9.5 weeks, but still hoping I might get strapped into a snowboard before the winter's out!
« Last Edit: November 30, 2018, 02:21:26 PM by Rus »

jimbone

« Reply #32 on: November 30, 2018, 08:12:09 PM »
There is a 6 year jump from when this thread started.  Glad to see so much progress made in recovery and hospital times.  I did a lot of research on the surgical approaches because the entire proposition scared me and knowing something about them gave me a more rational way of dealing with that feeling.  Seems like resurfacing generally requires a larger incision- I was fine with that if it gave the surgeon the room he needed to do the operation.  Rus when you say "clicky" do you refer to the device or to tissue snapping over the device when you move.  I'm at 4 months from my first hip and just shy of 3 from the second, I don't believe I am having any of the clicking I read about- an occasional blip from a knee but as my legs/rotators gain strength and flexibility it's very uncommon.  Good luck on the snow boarding- but I hope you get approved for that before hitting the slopes- I think most surgeons want to see 6 months of good recovery prior to that level of activity and that's my game plan as well.  Frigator- getting any relief from the injections?  Have you asked which muscles/tissues are related/interacting with the sit bone muscles?  If they were identified I was thinking you could locate some exercises/stretches that would focus on getting them strong and right again.

frigator

« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2018, 04:18:54 PM »
Hey Jimbone, yes I have gotten some relief from the injection, I am actually able to sit for a little now.  They used a powerful time released steroid that seems to help the whole body...my shoulders even feel better. I have rheumatoid arthritis and know that steroids really help me but I simply cant manage on them.....cant sleep, blow up weight wise, just a horrible yet wonderful drug. It helps but the side effects prevent me from using them only as a last resort.

The doctor/pt folks don't think its a muscle or tendon problem in my butt, more likely a nerve impingement or hopefully just a bad case of bursitis. They had thought it was the hamstring tendon but its good.  They had me work all the abductors which are really weak.

I tell you, this was a deep injection all the way through the glute, couple inches of meat. They had a hard time getting the needle placed cause the glute keep firing and moving the needle.  I have only had joint injections before which are not as deep. My butt is still sore from that injection.  I hope this relief lasts.

Rus

« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2018, 05:45:49 PM »
Hi Jimbone, I'm not sure what causes the clicking.  I've seen a few theories on here, and most suggest it is nothing to sorry about and will likely stop over time.  I requested a referral to my surgeon as I knew of a couple of satisfied customers, and a nurse that worked for him.  At that point I knew nothing about what the op entailed, and he subsequently gave me the choice of BHR or THR.  I did some googling (tho' somehow managed to miss this site at the time) and decided on the Birmingham.  I was reasonably relaxed about the Op.
My surgeon is happy for impact activities after 3 months, but as you say, it seems most say 6 months or even longer.  If the snowboard trip comes off, it will probably be between 5.5 and 6 months post op.

jimbone

« Reply #35 on: December 02, 2018, 07:28:41 PM »
Frigator-

Good to hear you found some relief.  I've never been prescribed steroids- talked to a friend at the gym who'd had them for a shoulder injury- he said it made him Superman for about a week but seems to effect people differently.  That injection sure doesn't sound like fun.  Been lucky enough so far to have avoided that.  Hopefully that will continue.  Abductor muscles take a lot of work to regain when they get weak.  I've had best results doing clams, band walking [rubber resistance band], swimming with fins and increasing my walks [especially steep hills].  I take things slow and steady but make sure to get moving every day and start the morning with a set of basic bed exercises just to loosen up.  Finally at a point where I am walking for the sheer pleasure of it after such a long time of not being able due to OA.  Keep plugging away at it- I expect my recovery to take a full 6 months for each hip to feel solid and 9-12 months to be truly strong and flexible.  Perseverance is the key I expect.
Rus- yeah all the information I've read about clicking is that it's not at all uncommon, has a variety of causes and often goes away after awhile- sort of like wearing in a new pair of shoes.  I'm lucky to have not seen [heard] this going on with mine but pretty sure I'd be asking the surgeon about it if it began to rule out worse case scenarios.  My hope is to get though a 6-12 month recovery that puts me in top health, pain free full function with balance, gait, flexibility and endurance and at 63 years, enough mileage left to get through to the finish line with what I've got now.  Seems reasonable to me at least.

Rus

« Reply #36 on: December 03, 2018, 07:26:49 PM »
Sounds like a decent plan to me Jimbone!
I'm 54, so partly chose the Birmingham in case I need a revision in future; and partly because I only started snowboarding a few years ago, and the Birmingham seems the best bet to help me carry on! 
I've just booked a holiday to Lapland to celebrate my mate's 50th birthday.  It's not a snowboarding holiday, but he's hoping to hit the slopes once or twice while we're there.  It will only be 4 months post op, so a bit sooner than I'd have liked.  The slopes are relatively short and well groomed, so I'm tempted... I'll see how the re-hab is going nearer the time! 

jimbone

« Reply #37 on: December 04, 2018, 05:00:14 AM »
Russ

A vacation really sounds like a great idea especially to clear your head and celebrate a new lease on life after the pain but please- either get cleared by the surgeon or practice enough patience not to compromise your new found freedom.  Maybe just settle for a good toboggan run and a mid winter seat by the fire at the lodge.  I've got one hip that's now 4 1/2 months and even if the second hip [3 months] felt like the first I'd still have reservations of pushing them that hard- but that's me- 10 years older and not a skier since I was a young man.  Regardless- have some fun.

Mission Statement
Surface Hippy presents information about hip resurfacing. It does not provide medical advice.
It is designed to support, not to replace, the relationship between patient and clinician.
Advertising - Revenue from this site is derived from commercial advertising and individual donations. Any advertisement is distinguished by the word "advertisement"
Privacy - Surface Hippy does not share email addresses or personal information with any group or organization.
Content - Surface Hippy is not controlled or influenced by any medical companies, doctors or hospitals.
All content is controlled by Patricia Walter - Joint Health Sites LLC 2005 - 2018 Web design by Patricia Walter.

Hip TalkModeration

Authority

The Hip Talk Discussion Group or forum is moderated on a Daily basis by Patricia Walter.

The moderator and forum members are not regarded as health professionals.

Complementarity

The information provided on this forum is designed to support, not replace, the direct relationship between patients and health professionals.

Privacy

We remind you that this forum is public and any message can be read, used, reproduced and cited by all.
You do have the option to delete your messages. However, under exceptional circumstances, you can contact the moderator to do so. Thus, please take care regarding the information that you post.

The moderator and members should conduct themselves at all times with respect and honesty.

By using our forums, you agree to post information that is true and correct to the best of your knowledge and is of your personal experience. If the information you post is not personal experience, we request you to provide sources (references, links, etc..) whenever it is relevant and possible.

You are not allowed to post advertisements, whether in the form of text links or banners, for example.

Please keep your comments positive and polite. If you have a disagreement with another forum member, moderator or the site owner; please use the the private message feature of this forum or email the member. We try to avoid emotional conflicts on the discussion group and we will do so by removing posts and banning those that cause problems.

The moderator reserves the right to delete any messages deemed inappropriate without notifying the author. In cases of abuse, the moderator reserve the right to ban a member of the forum. In both instances, an explanation will be provided if user requests.

Recent Posts

Advertisements

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Advertisements

HTML ezBlock

View My Stats