+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: acupuncture - anyone using it pre or post op?  (Read 3518 times)

WTW15

acupuncture - anyone using it pre or post op?
« on: January 07, 2012, 05:10:54 PM »
I have had good success with acupuncture to relieve my discomfort prior to surgery.  Especially during these last days leading up to my surgery and having to be off all NSAIDS.  I didn't realize how well the Lodine had been working till I went off it 2 days ago.  The gal I go to is so in tune with me and my body and offers some great short-term relief to help me be more comfortable.  Knowing how well this is working, I am sure she'll be able to help me post-op as well.  Having trust in my practitioner makes a huge difference and I am looking forward to her assisting me post-op. 

Is anyone else getting acupuncture? 
Successful LBHR 1/19/12 Dr. Cynthia Kelly
Fear causes Hesitation and Hesitation causes your worst Fears to come true

Two4One

Re: acupuncture - anyone using it pre or post op?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2012, 07:26:28 PM »
I'm glad acupuncture is working well for you, WTW15!  It didn't work at all for me pre op, but then again I was undiagnosed bone on bone OA for 2 years :P.  Maybe it's because I'm in the Midwest, but talented alternative healing professionals are rather scarce.

What area do you hail from?
"I was inspired by the very idea of turning the wildest figments of your imagination into something real and creating a life for yourself." - Ken Ilgunas

12/11 Failed Bilateral BHR by Dr. Schmitt  3/14 Positive Metal – LTT for Nickel Allergy.   11/14 Bilat Ceramic/Titanium Revisions.

WTW15

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2012, 07:41:36 PM »
I am in Colorado, near Boulder and have found a wonderful practitioner.  If you ever get out this way, I'll set you up with her.  No Lie - She used to be a rocket scientist - and found her calling in alternative healing.  She's been a great find for my hubby and me. 
Successful LBHR 1/19/12 Dr. Cynthia Kelly
Fear causes Hesitation and Hesitation causes your worst Fears to come true

Two4One

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2012, 07:52:51 PM »
Thanks for the offer to connect me with your excellent acupuncture practitioner!  I plan on doing some traveling over the next 2 years, and Boulder is on my wish list.  I have always wanted to check it out.

I've been to Vail twice, but the vibe wasn't my thing. I'm more of an ice skater and cross country skier type, but Hubs is a decent skier.  I would love to do a bike tour through the area; my last bike adventure was a Backroads tour around the Jackson Hole area about 10 years ago.  I did the Apple Blossom century after that, but that's not for me now.

We are going to have some fun this summer in our respective areas (I'll be riding through Wine Country along the shore of Lake Michigan), and I wish you the best in recovery.
"I was inspired by the very idea of turning the wildest figments of your imagination into something real and creating a life for yourself." - Ken Ilgunas

12/11 Failed Bilateral BHR by Dr. Schmitt  3/14 Positive Metal – LTT for Nickel Allergy.   11/14 Bilat Ceramic/Titanium Revisions.

Luanna

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2012, 08:55:39 AM »
Both my surgeon and shrink have suggested doing accupuncture. My first session is on January 17. I'm curious and excited to try it.

Sent from my iPhone
RHR 8/30/2011 - Dr. Pritchett - Stryker Trident Shell /X3 Poly liner acetabular cup. BHR head.

Woodstock Hippy

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2012, 01:47:23 PM »
I've been to three different acupuncturists for different problems and had some successes and some failures.  Had very good results with tendinitis on my elbows and temporary help with carpal tunnel in my hands.  Total failure with my shoulder when it was first diagnosed as rotator cuff tendinitis,  it was actually three different tears that surgery took care of.  No real help with my hips.  I would leave there feeling good but I'd be hurting again the next day.  Again surgery did the trick.

I think acupuncturere has it's place but when your hip joints are worn out, I don't think it can do much.

After your surgery, you won't need it at all.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 01:58:50 PM by Woodstock Hippy »
Bilateral, Dr Scott Marwin, NYU Joint Disease Hosp, 11/15/11

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM